Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Stay Puft Marshmallow Truck

Old 12-26-2016, 12:26 AM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
The Stay Puft Marshmallow Truck

Hello everyone!

As if having about a dozen other project trucks wasn't enough for me, i Decided to try to piece together a semi functional Daily driver for relatively cheap. I did raid my parts stash for a few parts, but heres my work so far.

Enter this unassuming 1993 Ford F350. 351W, 2wd, 5 speed.

Name:  D3KcWBfl.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  48.7 KB

I ended up trading a 351W and a spare bumper for the truck. I tossed a battery in it from one of my other project trucks, it fired up, but driving home was a slow ride. the Brake lines were blown on it, and the clutch slipped so bad i couldnt get it to grab past 2nd gear. But it did run well, the truck spent most of it's life in Texas, and well, it was as close to free as you could get.

I started by pulling it in the garage, jacking up all 4 corners, and giving the brakes a full inspection. I ended up replacing every inch of brake line, both rear wheel cylinders, front pads, calipers, and hoses. Turned the rotors, and the rear brakes were like new. I was also pleasantly surprised to find ball joints were recently replaced.
Name:  7bIZmWfl.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  42.9 KB

the "work truck" grille had to go. I also took the opportunity to replace all the burnt out bulbs, there were quite a few of them. The headlights, surrounds, and grille were all from other parts trucks.

Name:  Dcx0pnTl.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  52.0 KB

Name:  XFjukdjl.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  42.1 KB

Also took a spare set of steelies i had around, gave them a scuff and spray, and hung a set of 245/75R16 Goodyears that were like 3/4 tread left on them. Not the ideal tire, but i do like that its a bit closer to the ground, no need to be a mile high in a 2wd. Nabbed some nicer dog dishes from another parts truck.

Name:  cTtZusPl.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  35.2 KB

Name:  368DtxTl.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  45.0 KB

Took it for a test spin, stops great, gave it a wash and cleaned it out, it actually looks like a respectable work truck!

Name:  lnJgwJXl.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  63.7 KB

About this time was when my wife noticed that a new truck had arrived in the driveway. as usual, she was a bit upset, but suddenly changed her tune when she decided "you can keep it if we call it the Marshmallow truck" It quickly became The Stay Puft Marshmallow Truck, i just call it Stay Puft for short.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:33 AM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

Back into the shop we went, to put a new clutch in the truck. Nothing really too terribly out of line, it was a pretty simple trans drop. but wow, that tranny weighs a ton.

Name:  NYva6BVl.jpg
Size:  47.9 KB

Armed with a new flywheel and a Centerforce clutch, i was going to hang it and slam it back together, but that rear main seal leak was just too much to ignore.

Name:  SN6IfY9l.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  47.3 KB

Yeah, thats always where the fun begins.

Borrowed a stand from a buddy, got it stripped down, new engine gaskets, oil pump, oil pan, timing chain, water pump. Well, the pics will do the talking

Name:  4hueGm4l.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  60.7 KB

Name:  8N60ugpl.jpg
Size:  51.0 KB

Name:  8N60ugpl.jpg
Size:  51.0 KB

Everything looked extremely nice as far as wear, i wouldnt be surprised if this wasnt the factory engine.

Name:  3F2bT7vl.jpg
Size:  51.9 KB

Name:  MVt9Ccbl.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  45.8 KB
Ooh, shiny!

Name:  g62Ji0ll.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  57.6 KB

Old 12-26-2016, 12:39 AM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

Went to put the new slave cylinder on, had to clearance the trans case. i wasnt happy
Name:  oSlrEayl.jpg
Size:  28.8 KB

Name:  gs55w0Ol.jpg
Size:  20.5 KB

Now, the elusive Ford Mating Ritual

Name:  hsbNFYRl.jpg
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  AQXIOaLl.jpg
Size:  60.3 KB

And in it goes!

Name:  f0yFKQTl.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  58.0 KB

Name:  koNJKGxl.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  52.7 KB

Got it settled in on the mounts, and decided to call it a night, it is Christmas, after all!

So yeah, thus far ive been working on it for about a month and a half, i think it's progressing quite well!

Old 12-26-2016, 07:06 AM
stxlt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These things are fun, until every one of those "one thing leads to another" discoveries. Glad to see you got a good truck to project on. Reckon you were due considering the stash?
Currently going through a 93 150 for my Son. It's one I wish I had a deeper pile to sort through.
Nice job and have a Fluffernutter samich to with the Stay-Puft truck!

Old 12-26-2016, 08:43 AM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

I have about 9 projects in varying states of repair, all between 1980 and 1995. I wanted something that was respectable enough looking that i didnt need to deal with bodywork or interior work, but also something that i wasnt afraid to drive down the gravel road and scratch up a bit. This kinda fit into that hole, the added bonus that it was a 4 door 1 ton that wasnt a dually was kinda cool in my eyes.

Some of my projects are needing engine work, others need body work, the one in my avatar is getting a Dana 60 solid front swap and a big block/ 5 speed swap. Theres another truck across the shop getting the frame shortened for a shortbox conversion. So yeah, i have too many long term things, and just needed a decent old truck to drive.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:46 PM
phoskins
Elder User
That is one hell of a nice truck!

Old 12-26-2016, 09:01 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

Thank you! It's far from perfect, but im hoping it will shape up into a nice dependable driver that will be able to tow my race truck around sometimes too.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:39 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

Not really much to actually show, ive got the trans crossmember in, the driveshaft in, most of the front of the engine is dressed. I figured i should show you how i decided to "take care" of the Catalytic converter. The rest of the exhaust after this pint will be single 3" all the way out a factory style 3" tail pipe. just Stay Puft Stuff.

Name:  Uq3x03kl.jpg
Size:  32.0 KB

Old 01-04-2017, 10:01 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

you know when you've been doing a lot of work to a project, but to just about anyone else, it doesnt look like you have done anything? that's at the point I'm at. just buttoning up loose ends, re-installing parts, im waiting on Injectors to arrive, but i took the time to put on my new plug wires!

Name:  0Km57CVl.jpg
Size:  46.1 KB

worth every penny, these are, i will be running them on every small block from now on.

Name:  1i0KJKQl.jpg
Size:  33.8 KB

Name:  1cUlvsVl.jpg
Size:  47.8 KB

And so my family would get off my back because they "couldnt see any progress" i got the hood on, and i went and robbed one of my other trucks of the bedliner, toolbox, and roll top cover.

Name:  OJNhrNBl.jpg
Size:  27.2 KB

Name:  poeQarvl.jpg
Size:  43.2 KB

Name:  tBeEcTal.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  40.6 KB

Old 01-10-2017, 10:52 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

I finally got my rebuilt injectors here, it seems like they took forever to arrive in the mail.
Name:  TNGc3Q2l.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  37.9 KB

and got them installed, with the rest of the top end. top off fluids, go to start, and ... nothing.

No bother, this will help with that situation.

Name:  kaqbLR4l.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  44.9 KB

The truck ended up firing at the first key turn and instantly idled, no fuss whatsoever. i ran it for about 20 minutes, burping out bubbles from the coolant, checking for leaks, things like that, everything checked out great. the sound of the open headers was music to my ears, i'll give it a few more days of random checks and then drive it up to the exhaust shop to get the new exhaust put on.

I took a cell phone video of it running, but i cant figure out how to link the video to here. but trust me, it sounds like a small block through open headers.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:42 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I am confused why you remove the engine to replace the rear main seal?

Old 01-12-2017, 10:14 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

Really, i did ponder just doing the rear main seal right when the engine was hanging there. But, i looked and noticed the pan seal was leaking, i noticed the pan itself was starting to rust in the usual places ( ive had two other factory ford pans rust holes all the way through) one motor mount looked sketchy, i wanted to delete a bunch of smog stuff, a few manifold bolts had broken heads... all stuff that could have been done in the truck, but as a combination, it just made more sense to me to pluck the engine.

While it was out i replaced nearly every gasket, i inspected the bearings, i replaced the oil pump, timing chain, and water pump, and i have an overall better sense of confidence in the engine now that all of that is in place.

in short, i pulled the engine because i wanted to do a full inspection and gasket job. it made me happy.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:08 AM
phoskins
Elder User
Originally Posted by Bootlegger's Deluxe
......in short, i pulled the engine because i wanted to do a full inspection and gasket job. it made me happy.
I applaud this! I wish I had the means to do it! Good job!

Old 01-14-2017, 12:19 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Congrats on the great advances, it's starting to shape-up!

Old 01-14-2017, 08:18 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I would kill for a decent quad cab. Finally got my hands on a SC and it needs a ton of bodywork to make it presentable

nice truck. maybe one day I'll have a separate garage so the wife wouldn't gripe too much when I do stuff like you did

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Stay Puft Marshmallow Truck