anybody use these new Li-Po mini-jump starters? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

anybody use these new Li-Po mini-jump starters?

Old 12-19-2016, 07:36 PM
FTE Addict

diesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to behold
anybody use these new Li-Po mini-jump starters?

So, this all started for me when I was with my Mom at a gas station 6 months or so back. The car wouldn't start back up. The mechanic comes out with this little box about the size of a couple decks of cards, clamps on two little leads on the battery and tells Mom to give it a try. Car starts immediately! I was impressed and meant to check into what these little things were...

Roll forward to a week or so back and a single gal friend of ours calls and says her F150 won't start -- by the sounds of it a dead battery (starter just clicking). Jump in the Jeep and take a couple jumper cables over. Checked everything over and no visible corrosion, all connections tight, 10 month old battery shows 12.35V. So I jump it and nada, still clicking starter. switch to different cables and same thing. Tried tapping on the starter and solenoid and still nothing. It was getting dark, but I told her call the local mechanic and see if he can stop by and ask him to check the ground cable...

She calls that night and says he put this little box on the battery and fired the truck right up! Next day she takes it to his shop where he finds pretty bad corrosion inside the insulation on the batt ground.

Still, why wouldn't it start off the jeep? (yes I revved it each time we tried)...

Spent half a day looking at these little jump starters. Some are expensive, most come from China, but watch one video of one of these little dudes starting a 6.0 with BOTH main bats disconnected!

Now I HAVE to have one! Plus they do everything other than make bread and do the laundry They got flashlight mode, fast and slow strobes, red and blue strobes, laptop charge port with selectable voltage, phone charger with cables, multiple USB charge ports, and the jump starter mode with, get this: peak 600 amps?!

This is the one I just bought, in fact I bought one for me and one for the gal. Then told some friends and they each bought one...

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Portab...ell+jump+start

Price jumps around, I got it for $54.99. I've only charged the unit up and played with the lights and all that works. Think I'll disconnect the tacoma's battery tomorrow and jump it just for kicks...

Anyone else tried these??? Have these Lithium Polymer battery things been out forever and I'm just (as usual) late to the party??
Old 12-19-2016, 07:51 PM
Post Fiend

WatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to behold
Carry that in your pocket... maybe we can see you light up like a Christmas tree doing the hokie-pokie!
Old 12-19-2016, 07:54 PM
FTE Addict

diesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatsonR View Post
Carry that in your pocket... maybe we can see you light up like a Christmas tree doing the hokie-pokie!
Now Randy, let's not get into what creative applications you can think of for one of these...

But you've seen 'em before?
Old 12-19-2016, 08:03 PM
Post Fiend

WatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to behold
Yep... and they are wicked cool! That's a good price as well. Fast charge a cell phone or laptop. We have a couple of something like that when we travel for my job to run DC power equipment, short term recharge. Those my be better tech, our get a little warm... why I said watch you do the hokie-pokie, when they get hot, you will want to set it down.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:16 PM
FTE Addict

I don't mind if YOU'VE heard of them/have 'em... But if Jack has one....
Old 12-19-2016, 08:58 PM
Senior User

packagerjr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Subscribing.

Wife just sent me a link to another brand today. Much like this one, it said it was good for 2 or 2.5L diesel. Didn't think it would have the jam to start the truck, so we didn't buy. It still would be useful for the two cars though.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:04 PM
Freshman User

Lil Wink is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I bought the wife the 400 amp Rockford Consumer Products Pocket Power/Jump Starter from our Mac Man about 2-1/2 years ago for $120. She has used it to Jump Start cars, recharge cell phones, I-Pads and lap tops. It works awesome!
I have since bought myself the 600 amp Rockford model (for Diesel engines) but I have only used it on gas vehicles and pretty much recharged every electronic device the kids own.
I think the Rockford Consumer Products quality is first rate as we haven't had any issues. They are quite a bit more expensive then the ones Diesel Dan posted so I hope he is as satisfied as we have been.
Just bought 2 more 400 amp Rockfords to give away as Christmas Presents.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:51 AM
Elder User

Macrosill is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would love to see a video of one of these little battery packs starting a completely dead 6.0 in cold winter temps.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:59 AM
Post Fiend

TooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to behold
No, no I don't.

The first time I heard of these was when we were running a tractor trailer grade test out in Jennerstown, PA. We never normally run these in the winter due to how quickly the weather changes from one end of the route to the other. The tractor was brought out from NJ where it still had summer fuel in it, parked in JT out in the cold and gelled right up.

The driver worked down the three or four batteries trying to get it running. He called for service to get started and after changing out the filter the service guy hooked up what Andy described as a way too small box to get it started, but it started. It's all Andy talked about when he came home after we finally convinced sales that taking a week to make the typical three runs in a day was not the best way to use a test driver.

I seen them used, especially when I was scouting for a used car for my granddaughter. I just have a hard time grasping the tech. But hey, it's taken me a long time to buy a battery tester rather then my old school hydrometer.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:32 AM
Post Fiend

And how did the tester work?
Old 12-20-2016, 09:40 AM
Post Fiend

TooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to behold
So far very well! I'm still running checks on different batteries (12) but I'm impressed so far. It sure is faster then what I've done.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:57 AM
Senior User

TxMav is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have one, different brand though. Jump started a couple of cars but never the 6.0. Also came in handy several times when cell phones were almost dead. Recharged them easily. Mine is over 2 years old now and doesn't hold a charge as long as it used to. But I do think they are great to have. It may be time for a new one.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:16 PM
Post Fiend

04badford has a superb reputation04badford has a superb reputation04badford has a superb reputation04badford has a superb reputation04badford has a superb reputation04badford has a superb reputation04badford has a superb reputation04badford has a superb reputation04badford has a superb reputation04badford has a superb reputation04badford has a superb reputation
I bought a instaboost pilot from Lowe's, been a great investment , I don't like jumping from the 6.0 and when were out at the lake trying to get through deep water isn't great in the truck, or the Tractor was parked in a position the truck can't get to . FYI Costco you can get 2 for the price I paid at lowe's around $80

Old 12-21-2016, 08:18 AM
Elder User

Macrosill is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
If this video is legit then these little boxes are pretty impressive.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:35 AM
Senior User

Norma stitz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well who is going to try one on a dead 6.0?!