6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Transmission issue, now no start? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 05:47 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
I'd go with a new set of "Really good batts" Interstate....etc. Look hard at non prorated warranties and keep the paper.

My 99 7.3 is my driver and plow truck that I work heavy in the winter here up North and I get two years out of the top batteries despite care and maintenance. (probably because of the plow).

(the 08 my wife drives until mine gives it all up F350 cc srw is sposed to be my replacement, but that's yet to be seen). It's got girl stuff hanging and clinging and she keeps ordering decals for the nose and bumper etc.. Unknown how that turn over will play out.

It's a SC truck, no rust, Jade green (that's what she named it) "Jade" 100k. I'm pretty good on the 7.3's but really just diving into 6.4's. Different, but peculiarly similar in terms of diagnosing hits and misses.

Hope things work out to something easy and cheap. I'm ever watchful.

Denny

Old 12-19-2016, 06:15 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I wonder if the ground connections on the battery cables were bad. Pulling them and then hooking them back up fixed it?

10 years is a long time for batteries, that's for sure. But not unheard of. I think a couple guys on the 7.3 forum got something like that on their original batteries if I'm not mistaken.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:40 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Going to be interested on the load out. I'm shooting at a dead cell on one or both. Taking a crap shoot, a dead cell would keep the alt excited all the time and blow a few minds in terms of PCM, GEM and whatever other jewels the hid since the 7.3.

Hawking this.

Denny

Old 12-19-2016, 08:58 PM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DieselDenny
Going to be interested on the load out. I'm shooting at a dead cell on one or both. Taking a crap shoot, a dead cell would keep the alt excited all the time and blow a few minds in terms of PCM, GEM and whatever other jewels the hid since the 7.3.

Hawking this.

Denny

Old 12-20-2016, 08:02 AM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Wow. Truly uncertain what it could possibly be. How is it running now, and how many times have you started it?

Does it crank as fast as it usually does?

Denny

Old 12-20-2016, 09:54 AM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Wow. Truly uncertain what it could possibly be. How is it running now, and how many times have you started it?

Does it crank as fast as it usually does?

Denny
been running fine since yesterday. Cranks fine, like normal. It was -7° this morning, and it fired right up with no hesitation. I have started it about 20 times since yesterday when I hooked that batteries back up. I am still going to look at new batteries.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:19 AM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Everything including batteries look like they're dead on. You are due for batteries, but for the life of me I can only come up with a voltage related issue to put you where you were.

Still scratching my head. Is there a chance that when you cleaned up the terminals and moved the wiring that there might be a cable chafed thru somewhere and just the act of repositioning the cables slightly, removed contact somewhere.

Only (long shot) thing I can come up with.

Just blows me away that your dash was clear and bright which would can that theory.

Denny

Old 12-20-2016, 11:10 AM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Everything including batteries look like they're dead on. You are due for batteries, but for the life of me I can only come up with a voltage related issue to put you where you were.

Still scratching my head. Is there a chance that when you cleaned up the terminals and moved the wiring that there might be a cable chafed thru somewhere and just the act of repositioning the cables slightly, removed contact somewhere.

Only (long shot) thing I can come up with.

Just blows me away that your dash was clear and bright which would can that theory.

Denny
What I don't get is the transmission temp gauge going flat and the gear shift indicator light not showing. I was in Drive, and moving, but no red light showing gear

Old 12-20-2016, 02:35 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Looking at schematics, I see that the trans temp sensor and the PRNDL indicator for shift positioning and display are on different planets. Kinda makes me wonder if you had it filled/flushed in June as reported, the sensor wire may have been loose. Doesn't get me to the good place with the indicator tho. I'm researching............. Mark is the main trans ex ford engineer for trucks in the 7.3 forum. I'm not sure he hawks the 6.4 as I believe he retired prior. I'll reach out to him and see what his take would be.

He's the god in the 7.3 forum for trans related issues.

Another thing I can't wrap my arms around is the no start condition having anything to do with it, unless it's a safeguard.

I'll report.

Denny

Old 12-20-2016, 03:12 PM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Thanks I appreciate your help. When I changed the transmission filter and fluid, I did it myself in my driveway. Drained the old fluid, pulled the pan changed the filter-yes I got the old o-ring out, cleaned pan, reinstalled pan, and added 10 quarts of new fluid. Drove truck for 300+ miles and drained fluid, added another 10 quarts. 10 quarts is what I measured of drained fluid. I refilled 9 quarts and drove it, adding a little more as I drove around. That was July 9.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:53 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Both the temp sensor and the neutral safety switch wiring go through the connector on the passenger's side of the trans. There could be a problem with that connection.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:10 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Kinda like Doc Holiday, showing up!

Thank you!!

Denny

Old 12-21-2016, 07:26 AM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Both the temp sensor and the neutral safety switch wiring go through the connector on the passenger's side of the trans. There could be a problem with that connection.
Thanks you for your help. That's why I love this site

Old 12-23-2016, 08:30 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The 6.4 uses the same transmission as the 6.0 (5R110), which Mark was involved with manufacturing and programing. Wish my 7.3 had that transmission!

Old 01-28-2017, 08:54 PM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky

so all has been good for the month, but today I went through the car wash and the same thing happened. Mark, I sent you a PM but I would love a little help as to where that harness is located?

Quick Reply: Transmission issue, now no start? Help!