S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

How to use...(share your expertise or helpful video)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 08:57 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 929 Likes on 677 Posts
Helpful, I have a few 5gal tanks that need converting.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:49 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
On one of my cans I kept the safety nozzle, and I like it. I use that can for filling my lawn mower and my generator. Works perfectly for those machines. But it won't work at all for other things. Nice to have both nozzle types around.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:08 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

I think the idea of the design is good, but I typically end up spilling fuel when pouring into a small tank opening.

I think a longer spout would help a ton -12'' extension would work. Ability to insert the spout in the receiving tank before the pour.

Plus the continuous effort needed to release and hold the spring inside the spout combined with the very short fulcrum in grey plastic makes it a pain to use.

A third hand is needed as the can needs to be tipped vertical while maintaining aim at your target.

The slow, gurgled rate of fuel flow is like a bad case of BPH.

Attached Images   
Old 01-23-2018, 11:23 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
I've never seen one like that. It looks awful.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:01 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Amusing analogy!

Pop

Old 01-24-2018, 06:59 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

I may have some experience there.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:30 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Ditto!

Pop

Old 02-02-2018, 07:34 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Well-explained awning install.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:42 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

I need one over our single slide-out, as the trip to Pismo last month proved out.

Parked under eucalyptus trees that rained crap down in the wind. Acorn-like crap.

Had to get up and sweep it all off just prior to retracting the slide.

Wouldn't have had to do that if I had a slide awning.

Our current main awning has that segmented aluminum covering for the first few inches, and it's a real "saver" from sun degradation.

Pop

Old 02-05-2018, 10:01 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
I, almost, wish we didn't have an awning. We rarely use the thing. And when we do it's another thing to worry about if wind should come up. On our fifthwheel it is so high off the ground, it loses some effect as far as shade goes. Then combined with limited life due to the sun, water collecting in the roll and mildew, all in it just seems like more trouble than it is worth to us.

I hear ya on the slide-out debris. Not easy or safe to clean it off before closing, particularly on dew or even icy mornings.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:24 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
This is about, um, wiring, uh, or something.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:08 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Even Marty questioned Freud, but still overjoyed, & at times annoyed with all those ‘roids on that humanoid.

Best I can do with that video Bill.

Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2018, 04:39 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Her electrical skills are sorely lacking. But I don't think any harm will be done. No one is going to notice the wirenuts anyway.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:11 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
I'm currently refinishing a garden bench. It's one of those with cast iron ends and, in this case, white oak slats. It sits on our front porch, so the JW's will have a comfortable place to sit, and faces the west where the relentless evening sun blasts on it. Which keeps the JW's from getting too comfortable on my porch. After near on 15 years, the finish was flaking off. Actually it has needed refinishing for about 5 of those 15, but that's beside the point.

So I took it apart and sanded the slats. The backrest is more than just slats, and is a sort of frame that houses a cast iron insert. I had some old gel stain that I put on it last weekend, just to change up the color a bit. It was a Fruit stain, whatever that means, but a nice golden oak color was the result. I let that cure for a week. But that's beside the point too.

I dug around in the finish supplies cabinet and found a quart of McKloskeys Man'O'War marine varnish. Way in the back. I remember buying it to finish a new entry door that I installed in our old house, and decided to go a different way and never used it. Never even opened it, probably. I think I am reading the date code correctly, and it is 1991. Which sounds about right, since we bought that house in '83 and sold it in '03. Which is also beside the point.

Not sure if I should trust a 25 plus year old varnish, but heck it's just a bench. I dug out a quality brush, stirred up the very heavily separated solids in the varnish, and man'o'man, did it lay out beautifully. McKloskeys makes good stuff, and apparently a little age on it just makes it taste better. This is not at all beside the point. Might even be the main point.

A good brush for an oil based varnish should be a natural bristle brush. You can use a nylon bristle for both water based and oil based, but the old school oil varnishes are going to treat you nicer if you use a natural bristle brush. NEVER use a natural bristle brush with water based anything. The water soaks into the hair, pulling finish in with it, and you might as well just throw the wretched mess away when you're done.

About solids...a marine varnish is going to have a heavy load of solids. These give UV protection (which is what makes it a "marine" finish, as well as adding wear protection. That quart of varnish had about 1/2 of the can of solids at the bottom. Takes some stirring to get those back in solution, but once I did, a week later they were somewhat separated but not at all badly. A week cannot do what 25 years will do. But this too, is beside the point.

I applied to the back side of everything today, completing one full coat, and that will get a week to dry. Next weekend, hopefully it will rain, but if it doesn't, I'll flip them back over and give the business side one more coat. Should be good to go.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:59 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Eager to see a pic at the end of your project.

In the meantime, how to extend your reach with daily practice.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: How to use...(share your expertise or helpful video)