S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Military Registrations...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 09:45 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xman7896
Nope, if i remember right. If it is older then 20 years then you dont need to smog it, but if it was equiped with emissions then it still has to be there, but in 67 there where no emission laws or equipment so you can do anything you want to that truck
I'ts 30 years. California required a PCV system starting in 1961 and a full emmisions system (air pump, carb and spark advance mods) starting in 1966. It was 1968 for a Federal requirement.

If you lived in LA in the 1950's you would understand why.

Jim

Old 05-14-2004, 10:05 AM
pops_91710
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am having the same stupid problem with getting base stickers My truck is registered in Oregon and they told me that because its an out of state vehicle I have to get it smog tested which really sucks and then I thought well I will just keep getting temporary passes but they told me I can only get two thrty day passes then I cant get any more temp ones. I hate this place

I don't know where you guys have been getting your BS information!!!! Or even if you are telling the truth.

The laws in California have never, ever required an out of state registered vehicle owned by a member of the armed services to comply with California emission standards!!! That's pure and simple bullshot!

As an ex-California police officer, and a member of the armed forces for over six and a half years, plus a life-long resident of this state I can tell you that is pure bullcrap!!

Sounds to me like some are California bashing again. That, or someone is blowing smoke in here, or letting someone blow smoke at them.

It's not true! If you are not a California resident and you are serving in the armed forces in California, and your vehicle comes from out of state, and is registered out of state, you do not need a smog cert.

Besides, what are you doing at the DMV if your vehicle is already registered in another state? You can't register it in two states!! Something sounds fishy here!

Old 05-14-2004, 10:51 AM
drbeach_2000
New User
Thanks jimandmandy, when I was at Ft. Lewis 95-97, I was not required to have my vehicles Smogged because they were out of state registered. But if in any case If Southern Cali requires it to be smogged I will just not register it on Ft. Irwin and just use it as A hobby and continue to make improvements to it, not much more to do to it though, as My Dad did a complete Frame off 3 years ago and everything was new, with only 9000 put on it since, the 390 was even rebuilt then, and a bigger cam being the only change to it. Thanks

Old 05-14-2004, 11:47 AM
xman7896
Senior User
This is part of Navpalib: Should help out a ton.

NWSA592. Sailors' out-of-state vehicles must pass California
smog inspection
By JO2 Mark Higgins, Naval Station San Diego Public Affairs
SAN DIEGO (NWSA) -- As of Jan. 1, 1996, active-duty military
members stationed in California who have vehicles registered
out-of-state will have to comply with state smog inspection
requirements to operate a vehicle on federal installations.
The policy is in accordance with the Federal Clean Air Act
of 1990, Section 118(d). The regulatory requirements have been
developed for serious, severe and extreme ozone and carbon
monoxide areas. California will become the first state to
implement these mandates of the Clean Air Act.
"We can make suggestions, but it's the commanding officer's
responsibility to implement a program to comply with this section
of the Clean Air Act," said Randal Friedman, Naval Base San
Francisco regional environmental coordinator. "I'm glad the word
is getting out. I think it's important that commanding officers
start learning about this now, so if questions arise they can be
sent up the chain of command."
In the past, military members operating vehicles registered
from another state were excluded from complying with California
smog requirements under the Sailors and Soldiers Relief Act. The
act states military members are not required to change their
state residency while actively serving. An estimated 70,000
Sailors operate vehicles registered from other states in
California.
Vehicles registered out-of-state with decals still valid
past the Jan. 1 deadline will not be required to receive new
decals immediately. A phase-in or "grandfather" period will
effectively delay implementation for some vehicles for up to
three years.
San Diego exceeded state standards 79 days in 1994 for
unhealthy air, according to statistics from the American Lung
Association of San Diego. The studies show approximately 60
percent of the smog in California comes from motor vehicle
exhaust.
Despite the problems associated with smog, an estimated 80
percent of all San Diegans drive to work alone. Operators with
vehicles that don't pass the smog tests can expect to spend up to
a maximum of $450 in repairs.
Exempt from the Clean Air Act mandates are motorcycles and
diesel-powered vehicles. California residents living in
state-designated ZIP code regions are also not required to have
their vehicles smog certified.
-USN-

Last edited by xman7896; 05-14-2004 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:52 PM
pops_91710
Laughing Gas
This is taken from the California Highway Patrol's website under the heading of Military:

It is necessary to carry the registration certificate for your vehicle if your home state requires that it be carried.

Out-of-state registration is valid if the owner is a member of the US armed forces or the spouse of a member and the vehicle is currently registered in the owner’s state of residence or last duty station.

Out-of-state registration is NOT valid if a military member purchases a vehicle from a non-resident, unless the vehicle is immediately registered in the purchaser’s state of residence or California.

Non-resident military registration - Active duty members and spouses may register their vehicles in California under a special Vehicle Code provision at a reduced fee provided the member or spouse is listed as the primary owner.

Registration and Smog Laws

A car registered in another state that has no smog devices is legal to drive in California as long as it is equipped as required in the other state.
Vehicles are prohibited from emitting excessive exhaust and will be cited for air pollution, even if the car is registered in another state.

Old 05-14-2004, 04:32 PM
4BYFORDF150
Freshman User
I dont know the laws very well but I do know that when I went to the Pass and decal place to get base decals for my truck they told me I had to get it smog check to get the decals.

Old 05-14-2004, 04:46 PM
xman7896
Senior User
See when you are in the military you have to follow MILITARY rules first especially when on a MILITARY BASE. Pops, just because the state doesnt require it doenst mean that the military doesnt require it. Thats just how it is. SO after all this, its safe to assume that you have to get a smog check done on most vehicle In-state/out-of-state for base stickers.

But i will never have to go throught that with my truck

Old 05-14-2004, 11:00 PM
kermit
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah, i just scraped by in the '73 the way the lady at mugu's pass and decal talked

Old 05-14-2004, 11:18 PM
pops_91710
Laughing Gas
Pops, just because the state doesnt require it doenst mean that the military doesnt require it.

I understand that. It was the disparaging remarks aimed at the state I was referring to. It's not California's fault, but soemeone had to take the opportunity to blame it on California.

Old 05-15-2004, 01:11 AM
xman7896
Senior User
I must missed the post with the remarks Pop. I wasnt trying to be rude in any way.

Your right its not California's fault for this. EPA is coming down hard and the military now-a-days is "trying" to conform with every states rules even if the state doenst make the military do it. There is a bad smog level here in cali because of the over flow of people that want to be here. It didnt help in the past that there was and still are thousands of military personnel in california, so it makes sense that military base are making it mandatory to smog your vehicle before you get tags. Just my 2 cents.

Chris
A.k.A Xman7896

Old 05-27-2004, 12:14 AM
BrOwNbEaSt
New User
/me waves the BS flag. i was stationed at Naval Weapons Station Seal Beach from 2001-2003 with a Mazda B2000 king cab registered at my home of record in Washington state. only California law i needed to comply with was meeting the state inshurance requirements. maybe each base is diffrent or they just dident care. either case i got so fed up with the navy BS i got out and im now going to school in the SoCal area cuz i like it here i have a atock 86 f-150 4x4 with 33's and i love to go to big bear and take on those jeep trails any of you military guys plan on going 4x4in/ camping this summer hit me up!

Old 05-27-2004, 11:43 AM
kermit
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
all i can say for sure is that onboard NBVC, and down at El Centro, to get a DOD sticker you have to have the smog cert, or be exempt because of year. otherwise you get a 60 day pass and no renewals, although i know ppl who have gotten another paper pass because they were friends with the ppl in the pass and decal office.

Old 06-06-2004, 01:51 AM
4byford
Senior User
I am affected by it also; and it is BS.
I keep thinking of the young PFC or Seaman coming here from another state, with his dream truck/muscle car he lovingly built and restored through high school, at his first duty station, making E-1 pay in SoCal, then he gets boned with a thousand dollar bill to return his vehicle to stock. Nevermind that it passes the sniffer test...

So what does he do? He is under the gun, so he takes his car home or sells it at a loss, and buys a 98000 mile California vehicle from a shark at 19% interest...

Sounds like a Calif car dealer conspiracy to me.

I have found a way around it, but won't go into it here.
E mail me if interested.

Old 06-06-2004, 02:44 PM
pops_91710
Laughing Gas
What it sounds like is it's up to the base/post commander or branch of service. I see no "California conspiracy". If the CHP are still like they used to be when I was a cop here in San Bernardino County, California, they wouldn't hassle a military man .

I know this: I am damn thankful and proud we have these servicemen and women protecting our nation's interests, and I am sure alot of my ex-brotherhood feel the same. Unfortunately, they have no jurisdiction over the bases and their policies.

Were it up to me, none of these men or women would be paying taxes in any way, shape or form.

Old 06-06-2004, 03:41 PM
4byford
Senior User
There is no discretion at the base commander level or by service. It is not even administered through the Kalifornia DMV, it is strictly a base registration issue. Unless you want to park outside the base and walk in, you have to show proof of smog because of the State-Federal Gov't aggreement in 96.
It is a travesty and an unnecessary burden to force servicemen who are ordered to this state to conform to these draconian laws.

Thank you very much for your support sir, it means a lot.
I have never had anything but support from the CHP (the Riverside office recently trained my HMMWV drivers in evasive driving/ambush avoidance).

It always seems odd to pay taxes while on Uncle Sam's payroll. I would be happy to take a paycut just to be exempt and not have to deal with filing.

Quick Reply: Military Registrations...