Modular V10 (6.8l)  

School me on the V10

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 04:59 PM
Powersmoke_sd
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
School me on the V10

Hello, i'm new to the site not, new to Ford trucks. I have a 2000 F350 7.3, a 2006 F350 6.0 and now i bought a 2001 ford Excursion v10. The Ex is kinda a basket case, bought it with no motor or trans. Found a 99 v10 motor trans, transfer case engine harness and a bunch of other stuff for pretty cheap. The motor has new heads new coil paks plugs, story goes guy had all the work done had the truck back ran good, all was good, wrecked truck. Guy bought it back to help with just shelling out 3500 for all the fresh work.

Ok fast foward to right now, put the motor into the ex, noticed that some things are different like the intake manifolds, coolant plumbing. read that the heads are different as well.

My main question is can i run a 2001 intake manifold on a 99 motor? I wanted to keep the stock plumbing in the ex if i can. The 99 look like they have both heater lines coming from the back of the motor, and the 2001 intake has one port in the front on the intake manifold is that really the only difference?

What are the big differences between 99 v10's and 2000-2004 v10's?

Old 12-13-2016, 07:27 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
I know that some (if not all) '99s have the non PI (Performance Improved) heads and matching intake manifolds. The V-10 EXs all got the higher output PI motors. PI & non PI heads and manifolds are NOT interchangeable with each other, both have to be the same style to have everything line up correctly.
Check to see exactly which heads you have, the newer ones will have "PI" cast into them above the exhaust ports.
I'm not familiar with the heater hose differences, or really anything with the early non PI motors. I do know the PI motors in the EX can be very reliable and capable motors.
Stop on over in the EXcursion section of this forum and introduce yourself and the new EX.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:29 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Seems like there is conflicting information here, you say you got the 01 with no engine or transmission, where did the 01 intake come from?

For optimum performance, the best thing to do in my opinion is to use a 99 non-PI short block and PI everything else if you have the rest of the 01 parts available, heads, cams, 01 engine computer etc. You will want to have it retuned because the non PI short block with PI heads will have a higher compression ratio than either one did stock.

Or the easy way to do it would be to use the engine and everything from the 99 if those are the parts you have. And if that engine has already been rebuilt you should be good to go for a couple hundred thousand miles with proper maintenance. First I would want to know if the "99" engine has PI heads on it. Check the part # on the head above the exhaust manifold to see if the rebuilt engine has "PI" after the part #. If it does, then I would use that engine as is and do whatever plumbing you need to do to get it running in the 01 with parts out of the wrecked truck.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:50 AM
Powersmoke_sd
Junior User
I had bought the intake because it was super cheap, and a buddy had said the 2000 and on intakes flow better, not knowing the heads had to be PI heads.

The 99 was complete from fan to transfer case tailshaft. intake to pan. I can use is it as is right? maybe down the road swap out the heads for PI heads? or find an 01 motor down the road and swap it out.

Will putting a cold air intake, cat back exhaust and sct help with the power difference? I plan on running 35''s on it and it has 430 gears already. we do live where there are some mountain's to drive over. this ex will be for my wife to haul the kids around.

it was either this or a minI van, well I'm not really a mini van kinda guy.

thanks for the help so far guys, look foward to learning more.
The day I brought her home

Old 12-14-2016, 01:41 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
CAI is snake oil, stock one will work better and flow more than that engine will do. CAI will make more noise but it isn't going to make any more power. And the stock one is an actual real COLD air intake that draws from outside the engine compartment.

Cat back is good for changing sound, the restriction is going to be @ the manifolds & Y pipe.

The SCT from 5 star seems to be the tuner most people recommend. If you want to make the most out of it, step up to headers Banks or Thorley's and the upgraded Y pipe to match. Not much out there for performance parts specifically for these engines unless you can score one of the discontinued blower kits from Whipple or Kenne Bell.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:38 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Use the '99 motor intact, and replumb whatever you have to.

Your wife will not care about the power difference. The big problem with the non-PI head V10 ('97-99) was that it would run out of torque early in the higher RPMs. If you were towing with it, you would find that there was a dead-spot in terms of a certain speed where you couldn't keep pulling up a long hill and it would eventually wind up downshifting into 2nd, speeding up a little, shifting into 3rd, and then running out of steam again, and repeat.

For the record, ALL '97-99 V10s are 2-valve, non-PI head/intake. 2000-2004 F-series, and 2000-2005 Excursion are all 2-valve PI-head. E-series V10 from 2000-up are 2-valve PI-head. 2005-up F-series are 3-valve.

Caveat: I've read that you can put a PI intake on a non-PI head, but that was for the 4.6L - while the V10 has the same port shape as the 4.6L and 5.4L (PI to PI, or non-PI to non-PI) I have no idea if the PI intake will work on a non-PI V10 or if it will help or hinder it in any way.

Good luck with your project, and keep us in the loop

Old 12-14-2016, 11:32 AM
Powersmoke_sd
Junior User
Will i have to have the ECM re-flashed? Should i remove the EGR system on the 99 motor?

I hope she doesn't complain about the power. She is stepping out of a chipped dipped and ripped 6.0L PSD that she says has too much power.

I do have a 2002 Ex with a 7.3L PSD its wrecked in the front and D/S. The plan was to put the 7.3 in the 01 v10. But after learning that every wire would have to be swapped over with the motor, i kinda ditched that idea. Still might fix the 2002 and sell them both and buy another ex of some sort.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:50 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Use the PCM and wiring harness from the '99. Easiest way to do it.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:57 AM
Powersmoke_sd
Junior User
I dont have the PCM from the 99.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:58 PM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Powersmoke_sd
. She is stepping out of a chipped dipped and ripped 6.0L PSD that she says has too much power.
Is there such a thing as too much??

She may think that the Ex is a pig then. Dangerous territory you are entering!!

Old 12-14-2016, 02:09 PM
Powersmoke_sd
Junior User
Lmao, too much is it don't take much to bust the 35's loose on dry pavement, wet pavement is a little scary.

She don't need a race ex hauling kids around i think.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:05 PM
Powersmoke_sd
Junior User
So I found another motor, question is being its out of an E350 will it work? Guy says it's for 2003-2008 E350 does that even make sense?

Been sittin in storage for 4 years only ha's 45k miles on it says it turns over, what do you guys think?

Old 12-18-2016, 11:40 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16750586

Originally Posted by Sam I Am
If you get your V10 from a van you will need to get a V10 truck oil pan and sump.

^ truck V10

^ van V10

Old 12-19-2016, 12:29 PM
Powersmoke_sd
Junior User
i cant catch a break.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:05 PM
Powersmoke_sd
Junior User
How do i know if the motor that was taken out was EGR or not?

I ran the vin for the ex and it does not really say unless i'm just not seeing it.

Quick Reply: School me on the V10