Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2001 f250 7.3 all stock. Ideas???

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 11:37 AM
01powerstroke73
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 f250 7.3 all stock. Ideas???

My name is trevor and I have a 2001 f250 7.3 I'm looking for ideas on mods. Motor , body , and wheels.
What shocks / lifts is everyone running or recommend? Thinking bilstein 5100 shocks or a 4 inch lift.
Is it possible to run a billet compressor wheel in a stock turbo?
What could I do to make my steering better?
Is there a quick and cheap fix for rust? I need to get my rockers/ cab corners done. And I also need a new bed.
Annone running g the edge juice with attitude with the cts2.
Diamond eye 4 inch straight pipe are they any good or should I got with mbrp?
And what are your thoughts on fass fuel pumps or air dog fuel pump? I read else where that there's no benefits but I ju st wanna make sure. I almost bought one but needing more reviews and feedback. ( looking at a fass150).
I live in houghton michigan so if you know anyone with a shortbed or a flatbed. Let me know.
Thanks for your time and input.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:02 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Welcome to FTE and the 7.3L fold! Here's a few thoughts to start you off:

Shocks - Plenty of people use Bilstein. I have Rancho RS9000XL shocks. They are adjustable and I have been very happy with them.

Billet compressor - yes you can. I have this one in my stock turbo: Riffraff Diesel Billet Compressor Wheel 94-03

Steering - There's lots of ways to attack it. You can try an adjustment on your stock gearbox, get all new tie rods/ends, new lines (if it's leaking), new pump, and people have also installed a Redhead steering gearbox.

Rust - I don't have a rust issue but I've read about people using POR-15.

Tuner - A lot don't run commercial tuners. I use a tuner that specializes in the 7.3L. There are several out there that are popular with us. You can find more than you ever wanted to know about them if you do a search. I am not trying to be rude but I don't want to turn this thread into a tuner discussion unless you want to. There's plenty of opinions to go around regarding them! As for the CTS2 I'm not sure how many run that. Most of us have gauges and/or Torque Pro (with a phone or tablet) to monitor engine parameters.

Exhaust - There's lots of good exhausts out there for our trucks. Price, polish, and sound all play a part in your personal taste. I am happy with my MBRP but others are happy with their Diamond Eye, Magnaflow, etc.

I'm not sure how much bang for the buck you'll get with upgrading your fuel pump unless you plan on some high HP numbers (which will also require other upgrades to support those numbers). I would recommend starting with removing the air in the lines pre-pump (aka "Hutch" mod) and going from there. If the pump is tired you can replace it but the stock fuel system will easily support what the truck can do (and a little bit more). You can get crazy with the fuel system so make sure you know what your goal is before you effectively put drag slicks on a Honda Fit.

Others that know a lot more than I do will chime in with other good ideas and correct me where I'm wrong.

Congrats on the new truck!

Old 12-13-2016, 01:33 PM
Big Black Dually
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suggested mods

I heard that some people have upgrade to a newer model steering box to get a tighter turning radius.

I would leave the stock exhaust and save your money, unless it is no longer functioning.

Hutch and Harpoon mods are nice by what I hear.

AEM makes a fuel pump with a higher flow rate.
I use the baldwin fuel filter and I like the LF 3374 oil filter.

Before any upgrades, you might want to have the truck throughly inspected.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:04 PM
01powerstroke73
New User
Originally Posted by brian42
Welcome to FTE and the 7.3L fold! Here's a few thoughts to start you off:

Shocks - Plenty of people use Bilstein. I have Rancho RS9000XL shocks. They are adjustable and I have been very happy with them.

Billet compressor - yes you can. I have this one in my stock turbo: Riffraff Diesel Billet Compressor Wheel 94-03

Steering - There's lots of ways to attack it. You can try an adjustment on your stock gearbox, get all new tie rods/ends, new lines (if it's leaking), new pump, and people have also installed a Redhead steering gearbox.

Rust - I don't have a rust issue but I've read about people using POR-15.

Tuner - A lot don't run commercial tuners. I use a tuner that specializes in the 7.3L. There are several out there that are popular with us. You can find more than you ever wanted to know about them if you do a search. I am not trying to be rude but I don't want to turn this thread into a tuner discussion unless you want to. There's plenty of opinions to go around regarding them! As for the CTS2 I'm not sure how many run that. Most of us have gauges and/or Torque Pro (with a phone or tablet) to monitor engine parameters.

Exhaust - There's lots of good exhausts out there for our trucks. Price, polish, and sound all play a part in your personal taste. I am happy with my MBRP but others are happy with their Diamond Eye, Magnaflow, etc.

I'm not sure how much bang for the buck you'll get with upgrading your fuel pump unless you plan on some high HP numbers (which will also require other upgrades to support those numbers). I would recommend starting with removing the air in the lines pre-pump (aka "Hutch" mod) and going from there. If the pump is tired you can replace it but the stock fuel system will easily support what the truck can do (and a little bit more). You can get crazy with the fuel system so make sure you know what your goal is before you effectively put drag slicks on a Honda Fit.

Others that know a lot more than I do will chime in with other good ideas and correct me where I'm wrong.

Congrats on the new truck!
Thanks for your input I'm more just looking for more optons. My idea of what I want the truck to be changes everyday.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:11 PM
01powerstroke73
New User
Originally Posted by Big Black Dually
I heard that some people have upgrade to a newer model steering box to get a tighter turning radius.

I would leave the stock exhaust and save your money, unless it is no longer functioning.

Hutch and Harpoon mods are nice by what I hear.

AEM makes a fuel pump with a higher flow rate.
I use the baldwin fuel filter and I like the LF 3374 oil filter.

Before any upgrades, you might want to have the truck throughly inspected.
I am a logger and do tow a trailer some days and my start of the build is going to involve fixing the rockers/ cab corners and trying to find a box or just put a flatbed on still deciding on that. And paint the frame. Once ik that stuffs done I wanna do suspension and steering. Then performace the trucks motor and Trans is amazing. There no problems there but she just needs a little body work. Not really looking to have huge amounts of horse power just enough for towing , fun, and plowing.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:17 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
If your are a logger and tow at slow speeds threw the mountains, start with a trans cooler if not already installed. The stock one is way under sized. Most go to the 6.0 L trans cooler, it's more then enough.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:11 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Check the fuel bowl. If the heater is still there, remove it.
Do the hutch mod. Harpoon mod is optional while the tank is down.
Check for the clamp on the fuel line on the passenger side. If it is still there, remove it.
Install the 6.0 transmission cooler.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:14 PM
01powerstroke73
New User
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
If your are a logger and tow at slow speeds threw the mountains, start with a trans cooler if not already installed. The stock one is way under sized. Most go to the 6.0 L trans cooler, it's more then enough.
I'm not in the moutains. It's pretty mellow I guess some hills nothing to major at least I don't consider anyways. Thanks for theinformation I might just do the Trans cooler anyways because a trailer loaded with hard maple can weigh alot.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:18 PM
01powerstroke73
New User
[QUOTE=dn29626;16790647]Check the fuel bowl. If the heater is still there, remove it.
Do the hutch mod. Harpoon mod is optional while the tank is down.
Check for the clamp on the fuel line on the passenger side. If it is still there, remove it.[/

I don't think removing the heater on the fuel bowl woukd be a god idea seeing in the winter it gets pretty cold and we get a good amount of snow.
And what does the hutch mod do ? I've never heard of that being done?

Old 12-13-2016, 08:09 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
be a good Idea to unplug or replace fuel bowl heater I replaced mine,Hutch mod is a must for preventive maintenance,do a search on that Harpoon mod allows You to add more fuel,most add Racor prepump screen for fuel system,check Your front steering system for wear or have alighnment shop give free estimate for parts list,trany temp gauge would be useful,if You run stock cooler,do a search on exhaust,4" is the popular upgrade with chip,stock fuel pump is plenty for Your needs,Air box/filter upgrade is popular to replace stock airbox prone to fail/dust engine,Read failure prevention at top in stickies would be where I would start for reliability first.the most two popular shocks already mentioned above

Old 12-13-2016, 08:10 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
The heater is on the same fuse as the fuel pump. (Think about that for a moment.)
Even when the heater works, it is not effective.
The hutch mod may be THE mod we do. It is the removal of the problem causing screens from the fuel tank.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:20 PM
01powerstroke73
New User
Originally Posted by dn29626
The heater is on the same fuse as the fuel pump. (Think about that for a moment.)
Even when the heater works, it is not effective.
The hutch mod may be THE mod we do. It is the removal of the problem causing screens from the fuel tank.
Hahaha alright I get it now lol. For my first truck build hope it goes good I'd love to learn alot more seeing I'm a newbie.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:53 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Big Black Dually
The stock 3.5" exhaust is no slouch. The only restrictions are the muffler and that the downpipe is not mandrel bent so there's a crease in the bend but it's not too bad.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:43 AM
01powerstroke73
New User
Originally Posted by brian42
The stock 3.5" exhaust is no slouch. The only restrictions are the muffler and the downpipe is not mandrel bent so there's a crease in the bend but it's not too bad.
The stock exhaust isn't bad but I'd rather have something a little louder and sounds better

Old 12-14-2016, 01:18 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Same here. That's why I went with a full system instead of swapping out mufflers. I'm really happy with my MBRP. It definitely sounds better and didn't add too much extra noise. I live in a neighborhood and I know that I'm the only one there that appreciates the symphonic cackle of a HEUI injection system...doubly so on a cold morning!

Quick Reply: 2001 f250 7.3 all stock. Ideas???