1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

03 navigator air ride issues HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 11:23 PM
suggie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 navigator air ride issues HELP!!!!!

Hello everybody im searching for a miracle here. As im sure this issue has been beat to death i have yet to find the answer to my issue. First off i have an 03 navigator so far i have put new AIR RIDE bags all the way around first it was front then the back . i also replaced all the o rings when i changed the bags . Im still havin issues the compressor and relay check out ok but the bags kind of do there own thing one min they hold air next they wont go up or one side goes up but other only goes half way im guessing the only thing left to rule out is the solenoids and ride height sensors but i could be wrong . i dont want to do the conversion id like to keep the bags instead. so my question is how many ride height sensors are there ? i know theres two in the front but didnt notice any in the back but i wasnt really looking either . Also is there any way to check if the solenoids are still good ? Also i lost a few functions in the truck do to my sunroof leaking i fixed the leak but functions are still down like door sensors auto liftgate deploying running boards and a few other things so i can only get the compressor to turn on when i start driving then it turns on and runs non stop until either the check suspension light comes on or the bags eventually fill temporarily . Im literally pullin my hair out trying to figure out why i lost the functions and also the answer to my riddle with the air ride any help would be appreciated im really tired of bouncing my way around town .
,suggie

Old 12-13-2016, 10:07 AM
lincolnshibuya
Junior User
you are better off converting it to conventional coils unless you have deep pockets and like surprises..

there are 3 ride height sensors, 2 at the front and 1 at the rear passenger control arm. the ride height sensors are expensive and not reliable (don't go aftermarket since the dorman brand is also not reliable)
you need the dealership to recalibrate..and you know how much it costs.

https://www.facebook.com/diyLincolnNavigator/

Old 12-14-2016, 08:18 AM
welbo97
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've been working on the air ride on my '05 Expedition as well. I got a lot of help from the free Forscan software and a cheap ELM327 bluetooth clone OBD tool. I had to do a small wiring modification on it but once done, I could see what each of the ride height sensors was reporting, the compressor status, whether the solenoids on each bag were open or close, and the ride height of three sensor positions. By watching the charts in forscan in real time, I could see that the left rear bag was leaking down, then airing back up.

I haven't done the repair yet. I've seen so many "just do the conversion" stories on here that I'm hesitant to spend the $500 on two new air springs from Arnott when $1000 gets the full conversion. I would imagine this air spring is just the first of many failures about to happen in the system. But I'm like you and like the air ride system, when it's working.

With all of the electrical problems you are having, related to a sunroof leak, I think you could really benefit from knowing what each sensor was reporting. The Forscan software will help you troubleshoot all of those problems. Worth the time setting it up, I think. There is a more expensive OBD tool that will work without modification too. If you want to skip that step.

Old 12-14-2016, 08:57 AM
lincolnshibuya
Junior User
Unfortunately he has an 03 which uses UBP as the protocol for the air ride suspension, ForScan doesn't support that currently.. so no way but dealer or buy an expensive IDS/NGS scanner.

I have an 03 so I know it's a PITA.... at the current age and mileage of the car the coil conversion doesn't matter anymore. If it's a 3 or 5 yr old truck I might preserve the air suspension.. it has seen its days and I don't want to sink more money to it anymore. As long as the replacement coils are of decent quality, you'll not find that much difference in ride quality. I used suspension (used) parts from an expedition fyi.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:07 AM
suggie
New User
Originally Posted by lincolnshibuya
Unfortunately he has an 03 which uses UBP as the protocol for the air ride suspension, ForScan doesn't support that currently.. so no way but dealer or buy an expensive IDS/NGS scanner.

I have an 03 so I know it's a PITA.... at the current age and mileage of the car the coil conversion doesn't matter anymore. If it's a 3 or 5 yr old truck I might preserve the air suspension.. it has seen its days and I don't want to sink more money to it anymore. As long as the replacement coils are of decent quality, you'll not find that much difference in ride quality. I used suspension (used) parts from an expedition fyi.

Would the suspenspion from 06 expodition fit my 03 nav

Old 01-02-2017, 08:49 AM
lincolnshibuya
Junior User
Originally Posted by suggie
Would the suspenspion from 06 expodition fit my 03 nav
it should work ok.