1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

2001 Ford F-150 XLT Steering Wheel Doesn't Turn Wheels But Spins

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 06:59 PM
F150Hippy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Ford F-150 XLT Steering Wheel Doesn't Turn Wheels But Spins

Hi, I'm trying to help a family member fix their truck because their trucks' steering wheel has been having some slack in it that made driving it kind of dangerous but now steering wheel no longer works at all. Like if the steering wheel has nothing to latch on to, to make the wheel turn. Now, I'm no mechanic, that's why I decided to submit a post here so that I could maybe get some ideas as to what the problem might be. I will be attempting to do this myself, so all the info I could get would help.
Here's a little more info on the truck I'll be working on:

-2001 Ford F-150 XLT Supercrew Cab 5.4L Triton.
-Has been used as a work truck so it has some miles on it 200,000+ and it shows. He showed me the lower control arm and the upper control arms bushings are a worn. Some coming apart and others with cracks in the (the bushings).
-So might need some more things replace but need to learn more about the truck to figure out exactly what. Maybe a repair manual would help?!

Anyway, I'm probably just scratching the surface of the work needing to be done on this truck but for now I'll focus on the more important issues since without a functioning steering wheel he cant drive the beast. Might end up doing some customizing to the truck in the future such as changing the headlights to give the truck a more meaner look, along with the grill.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:33 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 873 Likes on 725 Posts
Okay, if you cannot figure out why a steering wheel isn't connected to the rest of the steering mechanism, have the truck towed to someone who knows what they're doing.

The system isn't rocket science, it's pretty simple.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:48 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
the steering shaft is made up of 2-3 parts pinned together. while turning the steering wheel, have someone look under the hood between the motor and left fenderwell and see if the bottom of the steering wheel shaft is moving. If it does not move, then the steering shaft needs to be taken apart. If the shaft is moving and the steering gear box has no output, then you have a gear box problem... I am betting on a pin / link in the steering shaft.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:54 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
watch this movie and get an idea of how things work

Old 12-12-2016, 12:51 AM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
I can't believe anyone would drive a vehicle in that condition and risk the consequences of an accident where they would be arrested for knowingly driving an unsafe vehicle.
Both the truck and the driver need attention.
Good luck.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:07 AM
F150Hippy
New User
Originally Posted by steve(ill)
the steering shaft is made up of 2-3 parts pinned together. while turning the steering wheel, have someone look under the hood between the motor and left fenderwell and see if the bottom of the steering wheel shaft is moving. If it does not move, then the steering shaft needs to be taken apart. If the shaft is moving and the steering gear box has no output, then you have a gear box problem... I am betting on a pin / link in the steering shaft.
I took a look under the truck today. Had it lifted on some stands so that I can have a little more wiggle room when sliding under the truck and had a relative spin the wheel. The shaft the guy removes on the video, seems to be rotating. So it might end up being a steering gear box thing. I'm going to remove the steering gear box (hopefully) and have a look at it. Going to check the lower steering shaft again just to be sure before I got taking parts out. Thanks for all the info Steve. It was exactly what I was looking for.

Do you know anything about upper control arms and lower control arms? Might take some pics for reference but I think these parts might need to be replaced soon because there's alot of squeaking
coming from that area. It could just be due to the bushing being worn but, we'll see. If you could help me out with some info on that. I'd appreciate it. This truck might get passed down to me so, I will try to do a good job when working on it. Hopefully I can repair or replace any parts that need attention.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:13 AM
F150Hippy
New User
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7
I can't believe anyone would drive a vehicle in that condition and risk the consequences of an accident where they would be arrested for knowingly driving an unsafe vehicle.
Both the truck and the driver need attention.
Good luck.
Lol, you're right, luckily though. He lost his steering when he was pulling out of his driveway and just left it parked after that. It was a wake up call that's for sure. Wouldn't want that to happen in traffic.

Old 12-12-2016, 04:34 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
I would look close at the steering box input and output arm as someone turns the wheel.. Hard to believe the box "broke" but possible. Normally you will get a lot of wear and tear on the tie rods and ball joint ends before the steering box has a major problem......

On the control arms/ a-frames , the problems are "NORMALLY" related to the upper and lower ball joints before the bushings. You can have bushings fail, but I would look closer at the ball joints.. The lower joint can be pressed out and new installed if it has not egg shaped the mounting hole. (borrow a tool at Auto Store). The upper ball joint comes with the a new control arm and you replace the entire unit. Have to mark the location of the bolt thru the bushing prior to removal as that is how you adjust the camber and caster ( tire alignment)....You can get them close to where they were, then go get an alignment after new parts are installed... If you have "squeeks" it might not be those bushings, it might be the sway bar mounting bushing. I had to take them loose on a Mustang and wipe antisieze on the arm and rubber bushing to get it to stop squeeking.. Penetrant worked for a month, but reoccurred.

Old 12-12-2016, 04:40 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
I prefer a screw hand press and impact gun to remove the ball joint, but the rest of this movie gives a lot of details.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:20 PM
F150Hippy
New User
Is it possible something in the steering column might be loose? I got more details on what happened when the steering wheel lost steering.
Okay, so the steering wheel already had play in it, about an inch and a half.
Well, my family member said that if he would keep turning the wheel all the way to the right. The steering wheel would some how lose the play in the steering wheel and drive fine (like if it latched on to something). I guess he parked it after he found the sweet spot and took away the play from the steering wheel and the next day as he was reversing out of his yard, he said he was turning and he felt the steering wheel lose friction or whatever was holding the steering in place (I guess you could say he binded it on purpose for better steering). Not sure if this info will help but it's good to know.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:48 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Once it come loose that's the end.
It's time to repair it no matter what happens when forced like that.
There is steering lock, turn signal trip-off etc.
Neither will work as intended.
If there is steering tilt option that maybe a fault.
Air Bag won't be in the correct position If it has to deploy.
**************point finger to head**************

Good luck.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:10 AM
F150Hippy
New User
When I say steering wheel came loose, I don't refer to the column, I l'm actually trying to figure out exactly what came loose, as in, the steering wheel doesn't engage the wheels when being turned (The steering wheel can keep being turned until my arms are sore but nothing happens). The steering column is solid though. I was looking at the lower steering shaft (the shaft connected to the power steering, not sure if that's the official name for the part) and the one in my truck doesn't look like the u joint steering shafts when I Google " lower steering shaft". Any links to good websites for 2001 Ford f150 XLT parts?

Old 12-15-2016, 04:26 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
look at the steering gear box input and output shafts. see if both move when the wheel is turned. We can only make suggestions. This is not a "common failure" . You need to narrow down if the problem is the steering gear box, the column itself, or other.

Old 12-16-2016, 05:37 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
May I ask what the problem is just to have some one check it all out instead of the forum merry go around that's taking place.
There is a steering wheel, it's mounted to a shaft inside the column, to a siding link and variable U joint that hooks to the steering box.
The output side of the box connects to a drag link from the Pitman arm.
Have someone inside turn the wheel and see what's not moving beginning at the shaft in the engine bay.
LOOK AT THE WHOLE ASSEMBLY AND SEE.
They are all built the same with few exceptions.
Good luck.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:55 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by F150Hippy
When I say steering wheel came loose, I don't refer to the column, I l'm actually trying to figure out exactly what came loose, as in, the steering wheel doesn't engage the wheels when being turned (The steering wheel can keep being turned until my arms are sore but nothing happens). The steering column is solid though. I was looking at the lower steering shaft (the shaft connected to the power steering, not sure if that's the official name for the part) and the one in my truck doesn't look like the u joint steering shafts when I Google " lower steering shaft". Any links to good websites for 2001 Ford f150 XLT parts?
When you ask questions like this, you are way over your head. take the truck to a shop that knows what they are doing.

Quick Reply: 2001 Ford F-150 XLT Steering Wheel Doesn't Turn Wheels But Spins