Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Pulling people out of snow question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 07:11 AM
Bt-99
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling people out of snow question

Just curious if its ok to pull people out of snow in 4wd high or do I have to be in 4wd low. How do you guys do it?

Old 12-11-2016, 07:48 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
I have to say this first, please be very careful with the straps you use and how you attach them. Recovery is a pretty dangerous activity. Myself, if someone is truly stuck, I'll give them a ride to the nearest safe place, and let the professionals pull them out.

That being said, I would probably use 4Lo. You might be a little more likely to spin your tires because of the lower gearing, but it seems like it should be easier on your truck.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:19 AM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Pull people out of snow? Don't you mean pull cars out of snow? If it's people, you can use an ordinary rope and hook it on the rear bumper.

Old 12-11-2016, 01:08 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

I use 4Lo for all vehicles stuck. Whether that be snow, mud, or sand. Let the truck do the work...and be easy on the throttle.

biz

Old 12-11-2016, 09:32 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
I have to say this first, please be very careful with the straps you use and how you attach them. Recovery is a pretty dangerous activity. Myself, if someone is truly stuck, I'll give them a ride to the nearest safe place, and let the professionals pull them out.
It isn't like it used to be when I started driving in 1993... these days people are quick to point fingers and sue for the dumbest crap. Just sayin'... I'll pull people out, but I make damn sure a witness hears me tell them if something breaks it's on them.

Josh

Old 12-11-2016, 10:30 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
I REFUSE to pull people out that I don't know. I'll help out friends and family, but anyone else not a chance. I'll help push a car out by hand or give them snow/ice tire grips, but with the sue happy people, I let them sit. Just today alone with this snow storm, I saw about a dozen in the ditch and at least half spun out backwards into it. But when we do pull vehicles out, it's 4lo or 2wd. 4low I can just drop in gear and just let it idle along. At times I may give a bit of gas, but that's rare.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:45 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by Frdtrkrul
I REFUSE to pull people out that I don't know. I'll help out friends and family, but anyone else not a chance. I'll help push a car out by hand or give them snow/ice tire grips, but with the sue happy people, I let them sit. Just today alone with this snow storm, I saw about a dozen in the ditch and at least half spun out backwards into it. But when we do pull vehicles out, it's 4lo or 2wd. 4low I can just drop in gear and just let it idle along. At times I may give a bit of gas, but that's rare.
Yep. Given most people have cell phones etc my "help no matter what" attitude has changed.

Josh

Old 12-12-2016, 05:13 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Here in Va on the freeway the State Police will get into your backsides for rendering assistance like that. It can be dangerous for oncoming traffic and it cuts into the towing business.

Buuuuuut when I did assist those who were stranded, I made them hook up to their own car and I used 4lo. Now I won't pull any car out, too liability. It's a shame that we can't even be neighborly anymore.

Old 12-12-2016, 06:14 AM
ACADguy
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
When I first moved to where I am at now, it wasn't unusual for me to pull about a dozen people out of a ditch a winter. I'm on a windy back road. There wasn't a lot of houses back then. Most people don't need much of a pull, just something to get them going again but more than a person can push. I can't say that I use 4 low. Usually 4 high is enough although I have used 4 low on occasion. I haven't done this in years. Now, when I stop they usually have help on the way already so I offer anything I can and move on if they are good. I ALWAYS have them hook the chain to their car and tell them that damage is likely because of how cars are built now.

One winter I came across a Chevy truck in the ditch. His friend (in another Chevy) got stuck trying to pull him out. I hooked to his friends truck that was still hooked to the original stuck truck and pulled them both out. 89 F150 with a 302 automatic. That was a fun day.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:14 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
It really depends on the situation. I'm happy to lend a hand if it's something I can safely get unstuck, but in most cases a vehicle in the ditch is going to need a wrecker.

I wouldn't want everyone afraid of me suing them if I were in that situation...I'd want them to help. I refuse to be afraid of that, and I treat people how I would want to be treated if I were stuck.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:07 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Yeah the issue for me isn't liability (because lawsuits like this are super rare up here in Canada), but more of a safety issue. There's a lot that can go wrong with recovery towing, and those mistakes can kill. I had this messaged drilled into me through a lot of safety briefings at work, and apparently it stuck.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:50 PM
Thorium
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of good advice in this thread, i agree with the folks who say let the pros' handle it. Stick around and provide some warm shelter and such but to do the rigging and extraction, i say NO WAY!! Even letting strangers into your vehicle could go the wrong way, robbery and carjacking comes to mind.

Old 12-12-2016, 06:07 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Thorium
i say NO WAY!! Even letting strangers into your vehicle could go the wrong way, robbery and carjacking comes to mind.
If you step outside you may slip and fall on the ice. For that matter you could also slip and fall in the shower and break your neck. Should we all stop showering?

Old 12-12-2016, 06:54 PM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Received 228 Likes on 62 Posts
Speaking of pulling ppl (vehicles) out of the snow. I thought I was going to like this traction control, and how it puts power to the wheel with traction. Well at 6am, I was stuck in my driveway until I turned the TC off. I'm bummed about that. So far I haven't noticed a thing about TC I like.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:06 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by Thorium
Lots of good advice in this thread, i agree with the folks who say let the pros' handle it. Stick around and provide some warm shelter and such but to do the rigging and extraction, i say NO WAY!! Even letting strangers into your vehicle could go the wrong way, robbery and carjacking comes to mind.
It's called carry a gun, evens the odds.

The NRA sticker in my back window probably helps things too.

Josh

Quick Reply: Pulling people out of snow question