Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Wouldn't trade my V10...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 07:17 PM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Wouldn't trade my V10...

My 2015 Taurus is in the shop this week to restitch some of the front passenger seat leather. The dealer gave me a 2017 F150 Supercrew 4x4 with the 2.7 ecoboost and only 600 miles on it.

After driving it a few days I will say it is a very, very nice truck. That little engine is extremely powerful too. It is a fast truck!

But...I would not trade straight across (ignoring relative cash value) for my 70k mileage F250. I don't like the mirrors, the driving position as I think my seat goes back further, and it's a 5.5' box. The headroom is not near as much either. It also sits lower than my stock truck. Some things are hard to describe but I prefer the "driveabiltiy" of my V10.

It's hard to describe but I don't think it rides all that much better than my F250 due to my longer wheelbase. It is definitely quieter and has a few more gadgets. But after driving for 5 days and then driving my V10, I would rather keep mine. I would love to hook up a trailer to that 2.7 and see what it does. I am sure it would pull it great. That little engine is amazing!

The day is coming but I will keep driving mine for 3 more years or so. If the new f250's had a new iteration of the V10 I might've pulled the trigger already.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:14 PM
eberlestock
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Atta boy. The V10s are addictive. I have been in a diesel for a year after selling my last V10. Just brought a new used V10 home last weekend so the diesel is getting sold!

Old 12-08-2016, 04:07 AM
w6pea
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 95 F250 finally gave the good fight but it got to where I was supporting the shop and all the mechanics that work there. So I bought a new 2016 Truck with a IL6 Cummins. I love that truck, I also have a 2005 E-450 Super Duty with the V10. I like it and if I could have gotten a V10 motor I would have put it in my 95 F250 I have driven Fords all of my life. But I could not pass up the deal on the Ram Laramie Truck. My E450 is a RV but I will say this for it If I could have gotten a V10 in a new Ford Super Duty I would have bought one.

Old 12-08-2016, 04:23 PM
the cleaner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did all the diesels with Great Disappointments. I Love my 08 Superduty V10 with 4:30 gears. They can bury me in it, as I cannot get a New V10.

Name:  IMG_7056.png
Views: 339
Size:  611.6 KB

Old 12-09-2016, 09:33 PM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Took the truck back tonight and made a couple of more observations.

It is a lot smaller than my F250. Laughing, even told myself it's a cute little thing.

20 mile freeway run to the dealer and I reset the mpg meter. At a constant 75 mph the 2.7 was only pulling around 16 mpg. Whatever the reason, that is not much better than my 7500 lb F250 with a V10.

Don't get me wrong, it was a nice truck. It did, however, open my eyes about going from a F250 to an F150. Need to learn more about the 6.2 I guess.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:02 AM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The new "Super duties" have the same cab as the F150 if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by twigsV10; 12-10-2016 at 12:52 PM. Reason: edit.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:41 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I am very interested in this subject. I've been too busy the last few days to respond. And I'm short on time now also.

You used strong positive descriptions of the turbo V6 but you still prefer the V10. Would you mind elaborating?

also, does its turbo make the classic whistling sound? Does it have lag?

also I'm very disappointed in that low fuel economy. If I had a very powerful turbo V6 I would insist on 25+ miles per gallon. And 450lbft torque
😁

For 16mpg highway I would also prefer a young healthy V10. I get 13-14 with my v10 on the highway.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:21 AM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Im50fast
I am very interested in this subject. I've been too busy the last few days to respond. And I'm short on time now also.

You used strong positive descriptions of the turbo V6 but you still prefer the V10. Would you mind elaborating?

also, does its turbo make the classic whistling sound? Does it have lag?

also I'm very disappointed in that low fuel economy. If I had a very powerful turbo V6 I would insist on 25+ miles per gallon. And 450lbft torque
😁

For 16mpg highway I would also prefer a young healthy V10. I get 13-14 with my v10 on the highway.
One difference in the driving feel of the engines was in the rpm's. You can easily drive the V10, even with 4:30's, and never see the rev's climb above 3k. And that is not babying it away from a stop.

It was very hard to keep the 2.7 under 4k and even 5k sometimes unless you just accelerated like a turtle. There was no lag at all. Even just giving a little bit of gas it was in the boost and rpm's climbing fast. The first couple of days I didn't mind this at all. I am a performance nut and this truck will not disappoint. I think it runs a low 14 second 1/4. After several days of driving, and then driving my V10, it just seemed the V10 was a more relaxing drive with power (and rpm's) only when you wanted it. Just not all the time. Maybe the big engine working easier is more appealing to me than a small engine working harder all time.

I was surprised at the mpg too. For the week of pretty much in town driving I was averaging around 15. After break in it would probably do better. On the ride back to the dealer, when I reset it once on the highway, I was surprised to see it only holding around 16. This was around 75 mph and a strong cross wind...but wow.

The V6 engine sound was weird. I've heard other people say it's like an angry sewing machine and that's pretty accurate. Not appealing to me at all.

If I owned a truck like that I am sure I would learn to really love it. It was just very insightful to be able to drive them back to back like that.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:08 AM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
I'm in the same boat and love to hear that I'm not alone. A couple weeks ago my wife asked why I didn't get a newer truck. I was shocked. But I thought about it and wondered if it might be time, after all my truck is not new anymore, it's 12 year old with almost 163K on it. But here's my logic on why I don't think I'll be getting something else anytime soon: it does everything I need. Need is why I bought my truck in the first place. I needed a truck that would be comfy, reliable, powerful, reliable, good looking and above all else, reliable. So what could I gain? It would be nice to have something different, just to satisfy that part of my brain that gets excited when I get something new. So here's my solution: in the coming months, I plan to put a 4" lift and 35's on it. Along with that, I want to put deeper gears, something like 4.56's along with some sort of limited slip or locker. A 5 Star tuner would be nice as well. I've always dislike the factory chrome step-bars, so I think a set of auto-retract steps would be nice. I also need to get the steering wheel and front seats recovered to look like to new and new carpet while I'm at it. Next will be a more modern stereo, speakers and if I can find a sub that fits under or behind something so I can't see it, that will go in as well. My guess is I can have all that for maybe $7500 or so and it'll look and feel new to me. Toss in another $1,500 for stuff that will fail someday (radiator, steering box, front end components) and I'll be happy. My options? Sell my truck for $10K (if I'm lucky) and make payments for another umpteen years because there's no way I can afford a newer truck with a 3 or 4 year loan. If it breaks, I'll fix it, but I'm good in the truck department.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:15 AM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Good for you Sand Man. If a guy can keep rust at bay you can make these trucks last a very long time.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:38 AM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
I live in Southern Oregon which although it's raining now, it's a fairly dry area so rust isn't much of an issue. Plus I hate seeing my truck sit outside so I keep I waxed and clean, although the tailgate does have rust bubbles on the inside of the lower lip and will need to be replaced someday. I'll likely put a newer tailgate on it (the ones that say Super Duty on them) since they look neat and have the torsion spring on them. I also have been toying with the idea of having the axles powder coated when I install the lift kit just because it's not expensive and it'll make it look nicer.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:13 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by super 6.8
If a guy can keep rust at bay you can make these trucks last a very long time.
My biggest enemy by far. Luckily my truck has been getting garaged in the winter for the past 4 years. But even with undercoating in fluid film there's still decent surface rust on the underside of the body that's only getting worse, not horrible but worse.

I'd love to completely clean the underside and get those rusty spots painted up a little bit. But I don't own a lift, don't feel like crawling around on the ground, and just don't have any time for that type of thing.

Owning a vehicle in the northeast rust belt is just awful. I was told this fall by the shop that does my yearly state safety inspections that they wont pass my winter beater Escape due to rusting next year.

You just can't win up here. I think as soon as I do not have a payment on my truck I will start leasing vehicles instead of trying the beater car route. I was all about it for a few years but it's just more of a pain in the rear than anything. I'll keep the truck but have a vehicle I can turn in every couple years that will still be under warranty and all I need to do is change the oil so my truck can stay out of the salt. I'm getting tired of fixing beater cars..... I mean maybe I can find a decent used vehicle that I can try and keep good but its just such a pain. I'd love to just drop a lease off and drive away in a new lease again. Not a worry about the vehicle.

I never thought I'd be talking like this with regards to leasing but it makes sense in my brain. Hopefully I can find another shop to pass the Escape for another year next fall.....

Old 12-16-2016, 02:49 PM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
I will keep mine until it rusts completely. Yeah it is big, sucks gas and is used more for target practice by birds than it gets used. But it is paid for, has no issues and does the job no matter what it is.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:41 PM
CharlyG
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
One usually doesn't buy a V10 with an idea of keeping the rpm under 2k. The V10 is just starting to decide it's working at 3k...IMO of course!

Old 12-17-2016, 01:55 PM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
I took 3 months off this summer between jobs and completely cleaned and repainted the underside of my truck. There was a fair amount of surface rust so I thought I should nip it in the bud.

Looking forward to seeing how it holds up by next spring.

Quick Reply: Wouldn't trade my V10...