6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4L Power Stroke high milage worth the purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 03:00 PM
Tkdsgewecke
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 6.4L Power Stroke high milage worth the purchase

I have found a 2008 F350 Super Duty 6.4L with 267k on the engine. I ran semi diesel engines but never the smaller pickup truck engines. Google search recommends running away, but looking for opinions on whether I can expect many more miles out of this truck or high cost for repairs? The body and cab are immaculate, the carfax shows some maintenance, oil changes, filter changes, never any major work. One owner, it looks like he drove it as a car and never really hauled anything with it. I know it's a crap shoot to buy any used vehicle, just looking for some opinions based on personal experiences.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:18 PM
brandonrr
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Unless the price is very tempting, i would look elsewhere. the 6.4 has issues with not only the emmisions equipment, but also some major parts within the engine. it doesn't help that they are also prohibitively expensive to repair.

if you really want the truck, at the very least, have a reputable diesel mechanic take a look at it first. the 6.4 is very good at running well while something is seriously wrong internally (for a while at least).

Old 12-02-2016, 06:59 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
That's pretty good for a 6.4 to last that long without any major repairs. I presently own a 6.4, and it pulls my truck great. But I know that at any moment, it may break, and could cost me thousands of dollars to fix. Like what was said above, if you really like the truck, and can get it cheap enough that sinking several thousand into the engine if/when the time comes doesn't bother you, then get it. You're right about buying a used vehicle. It's a crap shoot. The 6.4's though are a higher risk motor than any other Ford diesel out there.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:36 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
all the horror stories are true.

the points to ponder on making decsions for out of warranty vehicles is when the break/fix event happens...are you going to attempt to fix it yourself...or are you going to take it to ford to fix....and which of the two are within your comfort zone.

metal dust in fuel system from HPFP failures will cost ...if you do it yourself
1200 for a reman fuel pump
400 in one time use fuel lines
300X8 for reman injectors
so 4000 if you do it yourself
Im hearing up to 11K if ford does it.

rocker tips wear and/or rocker drops or cracks
500 in rocker assemblies
400 in onetime use fuel lines
if not lifter damage...then 900 if you do it yourself
im hearing as much as 7K if dealer does it

damage to the block
reman short block varies from 6K to 9K
so figure 6K to 9K if you do it yourself
dealer prices are allover the map from 11K to 20K

so if you have the time, tools and know how, you could probally survive a worst case senerio

there are those that never have any problems. bought new, did perfect maint, and ran the truck mostly highway miles.

my truck has been parked for 10 months and am finally getting around to do the rockers. is not a weekend job on a 2010 since you cant get to anything unless you lift the cab. so took a while to break the body bushing bolts and be able to lift the cab. taking off all the accessories took some time. Im down to the engine with the valve cover off and will start on rockers this weekend. probally mid Dec will reassemble. bleed all the air, and see if any of the electrical wiring got damaged during the re-assembly. one rocker was on the floor and most of the rocker tips were worn down to the metal. the lifters were not damaged and have full travel. I need to try to find 1 ball bearing with a magnetic probe since one of the rockers where on the floor and the rockers sit on a bearing. If I dont find the bearing I will always be wondering when will I hear "the bang" when that ball bearing moves from where its sitting now...to a moving rotational part.

I was debating on replacing the HPFP since at one point there was some glitter in the filters and there could be a possiblity of a HPFP seal leak...dont know on the seal leak since I have 1 cylinder that is not buring fuel due to the rocker breakage problem...the fuel in oil could be due to that one cylinder. when i reassemble I'll monitor and if needed, tear it back down to replace the pump. the glitter in the filters hasnt resmed in 3K miles so that might have been a one off or something that was repaired before I got the truck. If the HPFP was easy to get to...I would just replace it...but..the turbo's would have to come off and I would have to fully prep the cab for a high lift. debating on what I really want to do.

if I would have had a bad lifter from the rocker damage the engne would have had to come out and at that point...id rebuild it and replace all the lifters, HPFP and injectors.....and hopefully get 50K of good miles out of her.

my recommendation is if you want a used diesel truck, get something with a Cummings engine in it instead of international. and if you can get a low mileage pre-06 truck you wont have any of the emissions headaches.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:45 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
all the horror stories are true.

the points to ponder on making decsions for out of warranty vehicles is when the break/fix event happens...are you going to attempt to fix it yourself...or are you going to take it to ford to fix....and which of the two are within your comfort zone.

metal dust in fuel system from HPFP failures will cost ...if you do it yourself
1200 for a reman fuel pump
400 in one time use fuel lines
300X8 for reman injectors
so 4000 if you do it yourself
Im hearing up to 11K if ford does it.

rocker tips wear and/or rocker drops or cracks
500 in rocker assemblies
400 in onetime use fuel lines
if not lifter damage...then 900 if you do it yourself
im hearing as much as 7K if dealer does it

damage to the block
reman short block varies from 6K to 9K
so figure 6K to 9K if you do it yourself
dealer prices are allover the map from 11K to 20K

so if you have the time, tools and know how, you could probally survive a worst case senerio

there are those that never have any problems. bought new, did perfect maint, and ran the truck mostly highway miles.

my truck has been parked for 10 months and am finally getting around to do the rockers. is not a weekend job on a 2010 since you cant get to anything unless you lift the cab. so took a while to break the body bushing bolts and be able to lift the cab. taking off all the accessories took some time. Im down to the engine with the valve cover off and will start on rockers this weekend. probally mid Dec will reassemble. bleed all the air, and see if any of the electrical wiring got damaged during the re-assembly. one rocker was on the floor and most of the rocker tips were worn down to the metal. the lifters were not damaged and have full travel. I need to try to find 1 ball bearing with a magnetic probe since one of the rockers where on the floor and the rockers sit on a bearing. If I dont find the bearing I will always be wondering when will I hear "the bang" when that ball bearing moves from where its sitting now...to a moving rotational part.