Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Help with IP housing timing advance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 06:12 PM
Ryan Weaver
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with IP housing timing advance?

Help with IP advance? I put a dime with towards driver side as like my 93 automatic idi. Can anyone post a pic of their IP with the two factory scrib marks on the IP housing? It should have the zf5 manual transmission plz? I set mine up like the 93 idk with e4od transmission. I'd like to get mine a bit better,i don't have a ferrit meter or timing tools. The two y marks are aligned correctly! My truck cracks loudly at high idle when cold and is quiet normal driving as of now. Not much smoke and runs smoothly no blk smoke at wooot like my 93 idi. Seems to lack power in 3rd through 5th gear at wooot maybe it's normal and I have to downshift?

Old 11-30-2016, 06:18 PM
Ryan Weaver
Mountain Pass
I replaced the engine with a new one and IP was removed I timed from scratch is what happened.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:46 PM
The_Josh_Bear
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The timing marks are different from IP to IP I'm relation to the internal components and therefore timing. Which means the external marks are just to get close and aren't calibrated, so you can't compare marks from another setup to help your own.

Basically your timing should be like your dad's with loud rattle at cold idle and quiet-ish when under load.
What's yours sound like now? Always rattle? Gasser quiet?

Old 11-30-2016, 08:33 PM
Ryan Weaver
Mountain Pass
It starts in the morning and cracks very loud when cold, goes away when it gets warmer, its quiet at op temp or when high idle kicks out. runs very smooth. It seems to lack acceleration when you floor it in 3rd - 5th gear under load it should move fast no? Not smoking a whole lot or burning alot of extra diesel it don;t seem.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:07 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan Weaver
It starts in the morning and cracks very loud when cold, goes away when it gets warmer, its quiet at op temp or when high idle kicks out. runs very smooth. It seems to lack acceleration when you floor it in 3rd - 5th gear under load it should move fast no? Not smoking a whole lot or burning alot of extra diesel it don;t seem.
If you don't get any smoke under heavy acceleration, either:
1. your pump isn't turned far enough up
2. Your IP isn't getting enough fuel(either clogged fuel filter, or tank pickup messed up, or both).

Once you get a bit of smoke at full throttle, then you can mess with the timing and see what feels best.
If you aren't getting enough fuel, though, what happens is that internal pressure drops and it ends up retarded when you punch it.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:43 PM
The_Josh_Bear
Elder User
What Rob said. And once you have enough fuel, acceleration is somewhat relative.

You will never "feel" like you are accelerating as fast in 4th as in 2nd. 2nd has more gearing to enhance the same amount of HP. Basically the engine will pull through the RPMs faster in any lower gear vs a higher gear.

These aren't "fast" pickups unless heavily modified. But with a good flowing turbo+downpipe and IP turned all the way up with proper timing they are WAY more fun than N/A! Or stock turbo.
Of you're comparing it to something naturally faster then yeah, it won't feel like it had much get up and go. Yours might just be a fuel supply issue.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:49 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Josh_Bear
You will never "feel" like you are accelerating as fast in 4th as in 2nd. 2nd has more gearing to enhance the same amount of HP. Basically the engine will pull through the RPMs faster in any lower gear vs a higher gear.
To be fair... a NA truck won't. A turbo truck... might. I've definitely had it feel /faster/ in 4th than second, and definitely accelerate faster in third. Simply because in second you are at the rev limiter before you've got much of any turbo boost going on.
It's only once you hit 3rd and 4th that you can stay in the gear long enough to build enough boost to really get horsepower.

Also, as much as I've tried, I've found that unloaded, until you hit about 45, a NA truck feels nearly the same as a turbo truck. Once you put a load on it, though... night and day difference.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:04 PM
The_Josh_Bear
Elder User
Well sure. I agree that it /can/ feel faster 2nd to 3rd. But say 3rd to 5th? No contest.
Also in 2nd my turbo spools just the same as 3rd or 4th...just don't have very long to enjoy it before shifting, lol.

I have a traffic light leaving work I take a left at. When green you have only a few seconds to make the turn and get through the following light before it turns red. They are synchronized.
I have to (erm, get to) slam out of the gate and shift into 3rd before the IP starts to de-fuel to keep inertia and boost up, and right when you make the shift into 3rd you're just straightening out of the turn and cresting a small hill. Put all that together and 3rd feels WAY stronger than 2nd! It's a cool feeling.
But in a straight line it's nowhere near that. If I had posi 2nd would be even more fun.

Anywho in my other post I said 2nd vs 4th for a reason, geez Rob way to get me in trouble.