Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas in a 2016 6.7L Powerstroke

Old 01-07-2019, 11:47 AM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by troverman View Post
In my opinion, there is no legitimate reason why someone would fill a diesel truck with gasoline. Sorry, but if you're that *dumb* than you shouldn't be driving. The bright green fuel cap says "DIESEL" on it, and someone still chooses to fill it with gasoline?
If you notice the BP pump in the above photo, the gasoline nozzle is Green and the Diesel is Black. Most other places are opposite. The diesel is Green and the gasoline if black and E85 is yellow. If one is not paying attention or distracted, it could easily happen.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:29 PM
troverman
Post Fiend
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Just Strokin View Post
If you notice the BP pump in the above photo, the gasoline nozzle is Green and the Diesel is Black. Most other places are opposite. The diesel is Green and the gasoline if black and E85 is yellow. If one is not paying attention or distracted, it could easily happen.
Who cares what color the pump handle is...the large green cap on YOUR truck that says "Diesel" should be clear enough, I think.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:11 PM
dirthawg
Elder User
dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.
Not sure about other parts of the country but stations in my area require 2 steps to fuel up.

1 - Lift the appropriate nozzle out of the pump
2 - Press button for the fuel type/grade you wish to dispense

Like the pic in post 33 if you pick up the black handle and press the diesel button nothing will come out of the black handle, at least it will not if the pump is working correctly. So if gasoline ends up in a diesel truck, 2 mistakes are required to make it happen.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:28 PM
djousma
Posting Guru
djousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to behold
The biggest mistake anyone that owns a diesel can make is to let someone "borrow" the truck to haul something. As most conscientious people would do, they would want to replace the fuel they used. If they are not diesel owners themselves, you'll likely get gas by accident. Other than that, as dirthawg mentioned, it takes two mistakes to get gas into your tank instead of diesel.

The comments about DEF in the fuel tank however are right on. As Larry mentioned, This is a no distraction time. I too ALWAYS remove the DEF tank cap first before bringing the DEF fill to the truck. I do fill DEF at the pump because it is more convenient, however it is always two separate transactions, and two different actions both with different pump handles, and two different tank caps.

I had one close call early on in ownership of my 2011, in my driveway. I had the 2.5 gallon def jug out, fiiller on, ready to pour, and my next move was to remove the diesel tank cap. I was about to start pouring, and had that "holy ******" moment, and pulled back.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:07 PM
troverman
Post Fiend
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
I cannot understand the people having trouble with DEF, either. You do it so rarely that you are almost certainly paying better attention. I always use the truck stop for DEF as well...way more convenient. Maybe GM was right to put the DEF fill under the hood if people get confused enough to pour it into the tank.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:15 PM
djousma
Posting Guru
djousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by troverman View Post
I cannot understand the people having trouble with DEF, either. You do it so rarely that you are almost certainly paying better attention. I always use the truck stop for DEF as well...way more convenient. Maybe GM was right to put the DEF fill under the hood if people get confused enough to pour it into the tank.
I wouldnt mind under the hood, but put it on the same side as the fuel fill for eff-sakes. My buddy with a 3500 duramax has to fill with diesel, then get in and turn the truck around because the fill is on the passenger side. Prior to that he had a 3500 RAM and it was similar setup as our Fords.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:22 PM
troverman
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by djousma View Post
I wouldnt mind under the hood, but put it on the same side as the fuel fill for eff-sakes. My buddy with a 3500 duramax has to fill with diesel, then get in and turn the truck around because the fill is on the passenger side. Prior to that he had a 3500 RAM and it was similar setup as our Fords.
Agree. In my opinion, the RAM setup is the worst (and I now know this firsthand since I'm driving one, lol). Fuel and DEF are jammed together behind a small fuel door. And RAM decided they liked Ford's capless fuel fill so much they used it on their diesel trucks. Well, the capless works great for gas but not great for diesel. Capless has a much higher likelihood of water getting in, and it's all but impossible to pour in additives without using the cheesy plastic funnel stored under the passenger front seat.

I like Ford's large fuel door with good separation between diesel and DEF...plus a standard screw-on fuel cap. Only credit I'll give RAM is that the filler angle is better than Ford...you can confidently set the pump to auto and take your hand off the filler, and it stays put.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:16 AM
99f350sd
Post Fiend
99f350sd has a good reputation on FTE.99f350sd has a good reputation on FTE.
Get some archoil for the gas and oil.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:08 PM
rbloodhound
FTE Chapter Leader
rbloodhound has much to be proud ofrbloodhound has much to be proud ofrbloodhound has much to be proud ofrbloodhound has much to be proud ofrbloodhound has much to be proud ofrbloodhound has much to be proud ofrbloodhound has much to be proud ofrbloodhound has much to be proud ofrbloodhound has much to be proud ofrbloodhound has much to be proud of
This happened to me at a BP several years ago. I grabbed the green handle, hit the diesel button and put 27 gallons of super unleaded in my dually. I know I hit he diesel button. I was walking my dog while I filled up. I caught it when I smelled gas. I syphiled it out put 7 gallons of diesel in it and found another station.