Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas in a 2016 6.7L Powerstroke

Old 12-01-2016, 11:04 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by radium View Post
...There's a coating on that pump it's just there for the ultra low sulfur fuel issue not to stand up to gasoline or water sorry just want to be honest with you . On a quick side note when Chevy and Ford start using this new HPFP there were plenty of failures at first Bosch did not realize American diesel fuel lack of lubricity compared with European fuel or even Canada for that matter . This is why Ford develop that new coating for the new pumps however once again that was just for the lack of the fuel not for protecting from water or gas or exhaust fluid which is another common mistake accidently put in the tank .
Radium, the new special coating was put on in 2015 with the revised 6.7L (440/860 motor). That means an awful lot of 2011-2014 diesels have survived the ULSD without the coating.

Bosch is very aware of our ULSD - Europe has had ULSD available since at least 2005. There were failures of the CP4.2 pump on both GM and Ford diesels (and VW and others) as you mention...and typically the problem was lack of lubricity but also not a great design of the piston cam. The coating prevents wear - it is hard and slippery. Gasoline does not help, but neither does it immediately remove the coating. This is obvious, since the OP is still driving his truck. Additionally, we are not running 'straight gasoline' but rather a mix of gas and diesel, which has more lubricity that gasoline alone.

I agree he should replace the HPFP as a precaution. It would be very interesting to disassemble the original and see what kind of wear there was. The army did a study on using different types of fuel in the Ford 6.7 (2011 version, no DPF / EGR) and their thorough examination included inspecting the HPFP for wear.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...4reOT0fQWginKw

Old 12-01-2016, 02:16 PM
donovan
Posting Guru
donovan has a great reputation on FTE.donovan has a great reputation on FTE.donovan has a great reputation on FTE.donovan has a great reputation on FTE.donovan has a great reputation on FTE.
One more thing for the OP

Replace the fuel filter again and check for metal flakes after it dries. That is a SURE sign the pump and the injectors have to be replaced.

If you have no metal bits on fuel filter I would STILL replace the pump.

Also check with your insurance company they might pay for the repair on the comprehensive part.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:51 PM
Amelio
Senior User
Amelio is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I filled up this morning at a Marathon which is not my normal spot but I was not in my regular area so it had to do.....very busy and lots of big rigs so I new the fuel would be fresh.

Anyway I read this thread the other day and I always look at the pump a few times before fueling. Well the pump had a Green handle and Black handle....I went to reach for the green handle and as I did I saw the black handle said Diesel above it. I seriously stopped and looked at it for about 15 seconds to make sure I was choosing correctly, it was early in the morning also. After picking up the black handle I smelled it and fueled up.

After I fueled up I was still paranoid so I looked at my receipt and checked that it said Diesel.

I always do a double take when fueling because something like this can happen to anyone. Best of luck to you, hope you do not have any major issues!

Old 12-02-2016, 08:07 AM
radium
Elder User
radium is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.radium is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Trevorman I understand everything you're saying I was just trying to explain to the op who has limited understanding of mechanics obviously not understanding what could happen to that HPFP it had gasoline pass through due to The Stumbling and low power. The other parts of the system have been affected as we stated quite insignificant to the damage that can occur when one HPFP grenades. When CP 4.2 across all brand started having problems a few years back it made me curious to think how many accidental gallons of gasoline were originally pump in lol and blaming the manufacturers. I believe this is why Ford took a hard stance against claims of fuel pump failure at least according to my friend a diesel tech mechanic. In the end I hope he does the right thing I hate to think some poor young kid going to get stuck with that truck when it blows up on him take care

Old 12-02-2016, 09:56 PM
ftodaro
Freshman User
ftodaro is starting off with a positive reputation.
A few times I have pulled in to pump my gas and about mid way through i do a double check just to make sure i did not screw up as I drive a mustang to so my habit is to grab the gas handle. Easy mistake to make. I would not do anything hasty on getting rid of it. If there was a problem i suspect it would show up quickly.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:58 PM
bigdo1
New User
bigdo1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Update - here we are almost a year after the incident. 15K+ miles, including many towing a 7K pound travel trailer from Texas to Wyoming and all parts in between. Road miles, city miles, and no problems whatsoever. I guess I got lucky. :-)

Old 11-07-2017, 05:18 PM
DeeDubz
Senior User
DeeDubz is starting off with a positive reputation.
you better knock on some wood.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:27 PM
my_crib_too
Posting Guru
my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.
I thought of this thread the very last time that I filled up. Fuel prices around here have jumped lately about thirty cents a gallon. I was driving past a BP station and noticed that they had not raised their Diesel price yet. I'm not a BP customer normally but I am cheap. When I pulled in, the Diesel handle on the pump was black and the gas one was green. Almost took a picture to post here. I never connect a handle color to Diesel so I was good to go. At some point in the future, I may fill my Diesel tank with gas but I will have to blame the cell phone, wife, or drunkenness (I don't drink and drive).

Glad that this worked out and I think of this thread almost every time that I pump fuel. No diesel into the wife's Honda, no gas into my beast.

bruce...

Old 11-09-2017, 02:43 PM
Deuce40s
Elder User
Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.
Ours can be yellow or green around NC, so it's more of a habit for us to double check against the color. Normally we only have diesel on one fuel island in the whole station so it's harder to mess up.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:43 AM
my_crib_too
Posting Guru
my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by my_crib_too View Post
I thought of this thread the very last time that I filled up. Fuel prices around here have jumped lately about thirty cents a gallon. I was driving past a BP station and noticed that they had not raised their Diesel price yet. I'm not a BP customer normally but I am cheap. When I pulled in, the Diesel handle on the pump was black and the gas one was green. Almost took a picture to post here. I never connect a handle color to Diesel so I was good to go. At some point in the future, I may fill my Diesel tank with gas but I will have to blame the cell phone, wife, or drunkenness (I don't drink and drive).

Glad that this worked out and I think of this thread almost every time that I pump fuel. No diesel into the wife's Honda, no gas into my beast.

bruce...
Thought that I would add a picture. Stopped at this station again because they continue to lag the competition in raising their prices on diesel.

Bruce...

Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2017, 09:57 AM
rbraughn
Senior User
rbraughn is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76 View Post
I make a habit to always smell whatever i am pumping a few times
Me Too LOL

Old 11-24-2017, 10:45 AM
my_crib_too
Posting Guru
Thought that I would add a picture. Stopped at this station again because they continue to lag the competition in raising their prices on diesel.

Bruce...
My picture also shows "gas station TV". Is this something the world really needed? I was able to drive for 40 years without it and find it kind of irritating.

Bruce...

Old 11-24-2017, 08:53 PM
Postmaster
99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation

Bruce...
Just a dumb azz question on my part........if one punches the “DIESEL” button, how does it turn the “GAS” pump on???????? Regardless of the hose picked????

Old 11-24-2017, 08:55 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by 99150 View Post
Just a dumb azz question on my part........if one punches the “DIESEL” button, how does it turn the “GAS” pump on???????? Regardless of the hose picked????

Black handle.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:00 PM
troverman
Post Fiend
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 99150 View Post
Its not unheard of for a tanker driver to put the wrong fuel in a tank.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas in a 2016 6.7L Powerstroke

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: