Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Has anyone installed heated mirrors on a non rear defrost truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 08:25 PM
flavo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone installed heated mirrors on a non rear defrost truck?

Has anyone installed heated mirrors on a non rear defrost truck? My STX doesnt have a rear defroster, or the rear defrost switch. Later this week I'll pull the panel off and see if there is a plug where the switch is supposed to be.
But I would REALLY like to have mirror defrosters.
Any words of wisdom for me?

Old 11-30-2016, 02:52 PM
tyoder
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know about that . My 2011 xlt has factory heated mirrors with no rear defrost .

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-30-2016, 05:17 PM
flavo
Senior User
You use the defroster switch in the center panel to turn them on with though?

Old 12-25-2016, 11:43 AM
Machman
Tuned
Yes, I just got done doing this to my 2010 STX. Mine had no defrost mirrors or button on console.
What I did was order two replacement mirrors with the turn signals and heated glass and installed them. It was a plug and play deal because the connector that feeds the original power mirror has the turn signal and defrost wiring already in the connector.
Next, I ordered a a/c controller from the same year truck with the defrost button and installed that. It worked like a charm and if you purchase the temperature sensor and plug it in under the hood on the passenger side by the radiator, you will get the outside temp reading displayed at the radio display.
I also had a wire at the back of the cab plugged into nothing that went hot when I hit the defrost button so I used that to feed the defrost grid on the power window I installed to replace a leaky aftermarket unit.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:47 PM
andyems10
New User
Same here. '14 STX. Added OEM heated mirrors and swapped the right HVAC controls. Plug and play, everything works great.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:22 PM
1bigdan
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by andyems10
Same here. '14 STX. Added OEM heated mirrors and swapped the right HVAC controls. Plug and play, everything works great.
if you don't mind me asking, how much did that set you back? any chance you've got the part numbers? thanks!!

Old 01-03-2017, 12:47 AM
andyems10
New User
The climate controls were part # DL3Z-19908-E. This has the heated mirror button in the control unit that is made to only operate the heated mirrors. Some units have the button for heated rear window, but this # is what I bought and it worked.
The mirrors were a bit pricey. I bought new OEM mirrors from a Ford dealer on eBay. I looked for used ones, even bought a set that were listed as "Mint Condition". They were junk, so I bit the bullet and bought new. The New OEMs carried a two year warranty and I knew from a dealer I'd be getting quality. Bought one side at a time, swapped them when I had both sides. A few months later I bought the climate control and swapped it. Don't have the mirror part numbers but any from 2010 up will work, but I think 2013 and up are the ones that have the built in spot mirror on the divers side.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:27 AM
Curly Haired Car Guy
New User
ForScan Needed for this??

I’m in the midst of trying to get my after market heated mirrors to work. I know a few of you mentioned “plug and play” but was there anything you had to do in forscan to get the mirrors to heat? I’ve plugged up everything but the light doesn’t turn on for the mirrors. I was planning to mess with for scan today to try and get them to work. The turn signals and puddle lights worked immediately and these were features I DID NOT have previously

Old 04-23-2020, 10:45 AM
andyems10
New User
Two things to try. #1. Is the fuse in place for this accessory? Since it didn’t come factory then they might not have put in the fuse for that feature. Can’t remember off hand what else the specific fuse outlet controls but it’s easy to research. Try that.
#2. Sounds stupid but did you have the truck running? When I first installed mine, I put everything back together, turned the key to run, pushed the button and nothing happened. It was dinner time by that point so I went inside, furious that it wouldn’t work. When I went back outside to try to troubleshoot the issue, I just happened to start the truck since I’d left the door open for so long working on it. Once it was started and running I pushed the button, the light came on, the mirrors heated up and have worked perfectly ever since. Not sure if turning the key off and on let it kind of “reset” and sense the new accessory and or the engine actually has to be running. I did nothing with Forscan. It was literally all plug and play.

Old 04-23-2020, 02:19 PM
woopud
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure how heated mirrors are related with the rear defroster?

Old 04-24-2020, 11:03 AM
gDMJoe
Laughing Gas
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Arrow

woopud - Not sure how heated mirrors are related with the rear defroster?
Excerpted from the 2011 owner's manual ...

Old 04-24-2020, 03:42 PM
woopud
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gDMJoe
Excerpted from the 2011 owner's manual ...

Got it! I have a 2011 XLT, I have the heated mirrors but no rear window defroster, I didn't realize they used the same button.

Old 09-22-2021, 01:43 AM
smdl
New User
Hi, folks.

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I'd also like to add heated mirrors to 2013 STX, and have a question that I haven't seen asked or answered yet. I get the concept of ordering heated mirrors and climate controls with the appropriate switch, but the only heated mirrors I can find are also power mirrors. As my mirrors are manual, what happens if I install a power, heated set of mirrors? Can I still adjust these power mirrors manually, or do I also then need to add power mirror switches to the interior? To be clear, I don't really care about power mirrors; I just want heated mirrors. Thanks for any additional information.

Cheers,
Shaun

Old 11-11-2021, 04:16 PM
nreynolds
Trailering
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2014 and I am interested in this too.

Old 11-13-2021, 10:04 PM
blackestate
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i have a 2011 the window sticker says i have heated mirrors, but i have no button to turn them on, they are also power fold mittors. where or how do they get turned on?

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed heated mirrors on a non rear defrost truck?