Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Must haves, need to dos or additives?

Old 11-26-2016, 08:22 PM
ZombDiesel
New User
ZombDiesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Must haves, need to dos or additives?

I imagine there are a few threads covering these individually. If so I do hope links can be provided. If not I hope some help can be offered.

I just recently bought my first diesel, a 2008 F250 6.4 with 152,000 miles. Ive been through the technical folder and found some great information on how it works and the major systems. My biggest questions are things that most owners have learned along the way. Here in Indiana we have all the seasons and this truck will be a daily driver on the highway as well as a farm truck. What tips, deletes, mods, additives are something that most owners recommend?

I do plan to change oil and oil filters, and fuel filters here this month. What else should I change? Recommended oils? I plan to run Rotella T6 5W-40. No service records came with the truck and I think its best to err on the side of caution and just start with a fresh slate.

What additives do you add to your fuel? I always buy fuel from highly recommended premium diesel distributors. My own personal friends who own diesels say they add cetane boosters, conditioners, anti-jellers and a load of other things. My frame of mind is, why mess with something that isnt broke, or is that just ignoring the possibility?

I have access to avgas, roughly a gallon a day, due to my job working on helicopters and getting a daily fuel check, has anyone ever used avgas before with or in place of diesel fuel?

I would like to do all my servicing myself, is there anything that I should get done only by a dealer?

Thanks in advance!

edit: I currently have a DPF delete and no visible tuner mod. Looking into an air intake upgrade and an EGR delete with a tuner.

Last edited by ZombDiesel; 11-26-2016 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Add current mods
Old 11-26-2016, 09:57 PM
Tom
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
First of all, Welcome to FTE!
Originally Posted by ZombDiesel View Post

What additives do you add to your fuel? I always buy fuel from highly recommended premium diesel distributors. My own personal friends who own diesels say they add cetane boosters, conditioners, anti-jellers and a load of other things. My frame of mind is, why mess with something that isnt broke, or is that just ignoring the possibility?
Your high pressure fuel pump is lubricated with your diesel fuel, meaning the lubricity of the fuel is absolutely crucial to the life of the pump. Lots of folks, myself included when I had my 6.4, treat every tank with additive as insurance that the fuel will adequately protect the HPFP. The refining processes that produce ultra-low sulfur diesel significantly lower lubricity, and therefore all fuel is supposed to be treated by the time it's sold. Some tests have shown this isn't always the case, so treating your fuel is good insurance.

I have access to avgas, roughly a gallon a day, due to my job working on helicopters and getting a daily fuel check, has anyone ever used avgas before with or in place of diesel fuel?
Absolutely NOT! This is gasoline, which will very likely destroy your fuel pump. A failed HPFP will likely cost you $10,000 to have repaired with all the labor and expen$ive parts involved. Keep that stuff away from your fuel tank!

Old 11-27-2016, 01:19 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
use motorcraft supplies and double check for things like ford coolant and gearbox additives.

opti lube or other fuel lube additive will help lube the hpfp. or if you have access to B5 fuel, that will also lube the pump will. I buy B30 in bulk (10 5gal cans), then I mix it down 5:1 to get b5 (25 gals of B0 and 5 gals of B30)

poorly lubed fuel or fuel with water in it could metal flake you hpfp and the glitter could jam up a few injectors. very costly dealer repair or very labor intensive DIY repair.

drivers side rocker tips have a tendency of wearing....then after excessive tip wear..the pivit ball will pop out and the rocker will be laying on the floor of the valve area. PAX side also wears, but not as bad as the drivers side.

5W40 is not the oil of choice for year round duty...check your manual. mine says 5W40 below 20 degrees and 15W40 above 20 degrees. odds are you will burn a lot of oil if you run 5W40 with your 120K miles truck.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:26 PM
Tom
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by speakerfritz View Post
5W40 is not the oil of choice for year round duty...check your manual. mine says 5W40 below 20 degrees and 15W40 above 20 degrees. odds are you will burn a lot of oil if you run 5W40 with your 120K miles truck.
That's incorrect, perhaps you should take a closer look at your diesel supplement. From page 42 of the '08 Diesel Supplement:

Old 11-28-2016, 10:32 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
Zomb, don't mix the avgas with anything this thing drinks. I know. BTW being in your temp zone and with over 100k 15-40 synthetic. The other world won't be your oyster.

JS

Old 11-30-2016, 04:30 PM
slowmans
Postmaster
slowmans has a good reputation on FTE.slowmans has a good reputation on FTE.
I live in New England and we see temps regularly in the teens and twenties and as high as 90-100 in the summer and I run5-40 year round and have on multiple trucks with no issues, I never add any make up oil. I personally think its a great year round oil in any temperature range, the chart above supports my statement.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:40 AM
ZombDiesel
New User
ZombDiesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by slowmans View Post
I live in New England and we see temps regularly in the teens and twenties and as high as 90-100 in the summer and I run5-40 year round and have on multiple trucks with no issues, I never add any make up oil. I personally think its a great year round oil in any temperature range, the chart above supports my statement.
Thank you, I do believe I will be going with the 5W-40 as well. I like the Rotella brand as well. Thanks for the reply.