Safe way to lift 5th wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 12:56 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,849 Posts
So, are we in agreement that jacking the entire one side of a 5th wheel trailer is best done by one jack point under the u-bolts on one axle? By lifting up one axle, the other axle will drop and the entire side of the trailer will raise up enough to get cribbing under 2-3 points along the frame. Does this sound about right with the intentions of removing both axles and suspension at one time?

I am asking these questions so I know what to do when I go to replace everything under the new to us trailer we purchased.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:47 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
So, are we in agreement that jacking the entire one side of a 5th wheel trailer is best done by one jack point under the u-bolts on one axle? By lifting up one axle, the other axle will drop and the entire side of the trailer will raise up enough to get cribbing under 2-3 points along the frame. Does this sound about right with the intentions of removing both axles and suspension at one time?

I am asking these questions so I know what to do when I go to replace everything under the new to us trailer we purchased.
Sous,

When this first came up, I was responding as though changing a flat. What you are doing, I believe is basically getting the entire frame up in the air to you can take everything off, one side at a time.

I have a collection of jacks and can stack pieces of 2x10 or 2x12 so I can jack up the frame. I think you can also use leggos or wood and run the back wheel up so the front wheel comes off the ground. Then support the frame and jack up the rear.

When I put my TruTrack on I used both wood and multiple jacks on my fiver. I did leave my fiver hitched so it could not move around.

Steve

Old 11-23-2016, 06:13 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I see, looks like I got off track and thought this was a thread on getting all 4 wheels off the ground which relates to my plans. I apologize for the thread high jack, although maybe someone can learn something from it in the future.

Although, I guess I would need to have all 4 wheels off the ground and the trailer supported with 4 or 6 jack stands. This would allow easy access to everything below the frame of the trailer and make the job go much quicker.

I believe you are saying that if I am wanting to change the tire the base of the u-bolts is the best point to lift that tire off the ground. But, if we are wanting to get all 4 tires off the ground, raising the trailer by the frame is the right way to do it and then support the jacking points with stands/cribbing and leave the trailer connected to the tow vehicle for extra stability.

Does jacking the trailer up by the frame sound right for the situation of getting all 4 wheels off the ground?

Old 11-23-2016, 06:26 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
I can't remember. I recall you are going to change to hydraulic brakes. Do you intend to do something more. If it is just changing the brakes, you might pm RV Puller and see what he did to get his Hitchhiker in the air.

If it is just the brakes, you could work one side at a time, which might be simply. If it were me and just brakes, that is what I would do.

Steve

Old 11-24-2016, 05:30 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I plan to swap out all of the OEM equipment for new springs, axles, brakes (going to hydraulic) and equalizer.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:47 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Sous
I plan to swap out all of the OEM equipment for new springs, axles, brakes (going to hydraulic) and equalizer.
It does seem then like your purposes would best be served by putting the entire fiver up on the frame. I really don't have experience taking off everything and replacing it. Lifting the front is simple as that can be done with the landing gear. Then jack stands or similar each side of the axles and once the rear is jacked up, I believe the stabilizers would support it. When I did my TruTrack, I had multiple supports.

The single concern I have in doing this is working each side up so it is somewhat level. I doubt there is a guide book for doing this. It is pretty common place with permanent setups at the lake and I do not think much thought goes into it. As always time and logical are the principle guides and multiple supports for safety.

Steve

Old 11-24-2016, 10:27 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Call me chicken little but I would have the frame cribbed front, rear and in the middle. I would not trust the landing jacks on anything that could possibly shift. He will be moving a lot of weight around installing and aligning those axles. Another 1/2 hour or so of installing extra cribbing could save a life time of sorrow. Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:32 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 69cj
Call me chicken little but I would have the frame cribbed front, rear and in the middle. I would not trust the landing jacks on anything that could possibly shift. He will be moving a lot of weight around installing and aligning those axles. Another 1/2 hour or so of installing extra cribbing could save a life time of sorrow. Just my 2 cents.
We are in agreement. I didn't make myself clear. Lift with the landing gear and set on cribbing.

Steve

Old 11-24-2016, 10:44 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
On a different note;
HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:52 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Happy thanksgiving to everyone!

I plan to have 6 points of support at the very least and 8 if I can manage it which would be 3 or 4 on each side. My only uncertainty was how to get the trailer off the wheels. I think I got it now and thank you all for the advice.