Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Placing order soon. Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 08:38 AM
DIRTWHEELS
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Placing order soon. Any advice?

Hi All. Never owned a . Always Had Yota SUVs but feel the need for a Pick Up. Like the features of the '17 150 and ready to place order but looking for feedback from current owners. Will be using for trailering ATV's and maybe a midsize travel trailer in future.

Here's what I've built: Lariat, SCREW, 5.0L, 6.50ft bed, 4X4, 501A, 3.73 E-locker, Trailer Tow w/ E-Brake, Trailer Mirrors, Sony Sound, 40/Console/40, Tailgate Step.

No Moonroof, No NAV (Can I sync phone and use Google Maps?) No FX4 (Planning on 4" lift once OEM tires need replaced. See no benefit of OEM FX4 shocks or Hill Descent (Can't you just put in 1st gear?))

Plan on after purchase: Line-X, A.R.E Shell, Step Bars.

Dealer price ~ $6K under MSRP (includes current $1K rebate)

What do you think? (Specifically looking for feedback on NAV and Fx4).

Thanks for any help.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:59 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
FX4 is more about the sticker for most folks. It used to be a higher end trim level. Still not bad for the price and would help with resale down the road. The Hill Descent is different than just a gear reduction, but that doesn't make it useful for most driving IMO. I'm a minimalist guy so Nav doesn't do anything for me, but it does work well enough if you like the technology stuff. The one option you might want to consider is the tailgate ramp. It can be purchased after the fact as an accessory too. I like it because it actually surely locks the ramp onto the tailgate so you don't have to hope it doesn't slip out on you if you put a quad in the back. I would also 2nd guess your motor choice. I'm a old car guy as much as anything, but other than the sound, I genuinely can't think of a single reason to option the 5.0. The 3.5 EB is significantly better for power, especially for towing, and the 2.7 EB fills the light duty segment pretty well. There have't been any major reliability problems with the motors to make that be a deciding factor, though if anything, I believe the Ecoboost motors have had fewer issues than the 5.0, though I don't have numbers on hand to back that up.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:47 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
+1 on the ramps. We got these, and I've been surprised how much I use them. With the 6.5' box, I can drive the ATV right into the back, put up the tailgate, and drive off with a minimum of tying down.

I use the NAV on my phone. Works very well, and I get announcements through bluetooth. Updates are free too.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:30 AM
Schlotzky
Senior User
You'll open a can of worms arguing about engine choices. I love my 5.0 and wouldn't have it any other way. Our other truck is a 3.5EB and have driven it almost as much as the 5.0 and wouldn't hesitate to option the 5.0 on my next truck again.

I ordered mine with FX4 and I have to say after seeing the skid plates (which is why i spec'd it) I probably would pass on it if I did it again and put on some aftermarket skids that were heavier duty. I based the decision on my Jeep's factory skids which were at least twice as thick as the FX4. On the other hand, it only added about $150 to my sticker price, so for that and hill descent, I don't feel ripped off. (most of the $770 stated price is adding the 3.73 e-locker so the price difference added isn't much once you spec that separate)

If you get Sync 3, yes you can do android auto/apple carplay and get nav on the screen, which is really nice and largely negates the need for factory nav. I have the factory nav, and while it's good, it still doesn't compare to google maps for ease of use and versitility. The only nice thing about using the integrated NAV is that it has a breadcrumb system for not getting lost on off road trails, and it works when you're in the middle of nowhere with no cell service.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:57 PM
JKBrad
Received 800 Likes on 585 Posts
The truck I bought off the lot had ramps. I never used them and wound up selling them. If you're going to lift it, skip them. The angle will be too steep. Same goes for the plastic, snap together bed extender. Sold it too. The older metal one was much better and more useful to me when I had one.

I would go with the 502A package so you can get the LED headlights. It looks very expensive on paper, but is a lot less since it has a discount.

I really like my side mirror spotlights more than I thought I would, but I live in a semi rural area and actually use them. I just need to mod them so they stay on after I hit 5 MPH.

I find the hill decent useless, but the E locker is nice.

I would skip the factory navigation too, as I never use it. It could be way better if Ford would partner with another company instead of trying to do it on their own. Again, I bought my truck of the lot, so it had it already.

I like the FX4 for one reason and that is the skid plates. As stated above, they aren't bash plates, but they do keep gravel and sand from being plowed up into the frame. Same would go for snow I guess. Plus it makes decent slash shield for keeping a lot of mud and water from slashing up in the engine compartment.

Going Line X is a good move. The factory spray in is thin and has been problematic.

Get whatever engine you want, they're all good. Getting 3.73s with the 5.0 is a must for a lift and 35" tires. You will need and aftermarket speedometer adjuster once the lift is done.

Consider factory step bars over aftermarket, as most are poorly made. Especially if you live in an area where the roads are salted. The only aftermarket steps I've had and really liked were N-fabs. I also have the retractable side steps for the box. I would have never ordered them, but I have come to like them.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:35 PM
Schlotzky
Senior User
Originally Posted by JKBrad
. . .I also have the retractable side steps for the box. I would have never ordered them, but I have come to like them.
Good point. I was on the fence in ordering these on mine but ended up getting them, and they are probably one of my favorite practical elements on the truck.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:11 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Overall your order list looks pretty close to my truck. It was impossible to find a Lariat with both the tow mirrors and 501A package (split bench seat), so I ordered my truck as well. Very glad I did and didn't compromise on something off the lot. But be warned; ordering you truck will make Christmas feel like just another Monday and your truck delivery date more important than Christmas as a kid.

Additional comments...
- I ordered the FX4 and Ford bed liner. If I was to do it all over again, I'd skip both. Neither are worth their price.
- I skipped the sun roof and Nav as well and I'm glad that I did.
- I wish I got the tailgate step and so does my wife
- The tow mirrors and Sony stereo are both awesome.
- I didn't get the OEM steps and I regret that. They're probably the nicest on the market. I got an aftermarket and I'm not very happy. I'm watching Craig's list for someone to dump their stock steps.
- I have the 5.5' bed since I don't haul anything major like you. I think the 6.5' bed is the right choice in your case. I enjoy the short wheel base more often than needing the extra length.

As for engines, it's "dealer's choice". Both are good and have their strengths and weaknesses. Most will say if you're doing a lot of heavy towing, especially at higher elevations, the 3.5EB is a better choice. But many V8'ers here love the 5.0 and I've yet to see anyone post "wish I got an EB instead of the 5.0". I got the 3.5 with the max tow package and love it.

Last edited by onug; 11-23-2016 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Spell check
Old 11-22-2016, 08:50 PM
DIRTWHEELS
New User
Thanks All for the comments and great info/advice. Looked again at build site and realized the FX4 would only be extra $350 since I am already going w/ 3.73 E-Locker. Figure that may be worthwhile for resale alone (if I ever part w/ her ). Since I plan to get A.R.E. cap wouldn't be able to get ATV in bed so do not think ramps would be worthwhile. I can see benefit of side steps if no cap but in my case, can only see using steps when washing truck.
I guess I can always buy from and install later.

Planning on placing order this weekend so I would think delivery ~ mid Feb (?). Current rebate is $1K. From comments on the forum I am unsure if I would get benefit from any better rebates offered in Dec,Jan,Feb or just choice between rebates from Contract and Delivery dates. Anybody know for sure?

Old 11-22-2016, 09:09 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,358 Likes on 1,706 Posts
I have the OEM running boards on my truck, and I love them. Lariats have a wider OEM running board then XLT boards, and it makes a difference. The running boards make it much easier to get in and out of the truck.

My truck has Nav, and I'm glad I got it.

I don't have a sunroof, and I'm glad I don't. I would never use it, and I'm not a fan of having one because of the potential for failure/leaks down the road.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:42 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
The main benefit to ordering the 3.5L EB is the 10 speed transmission. I'm not an engine purist and I feel that they are all great. Depending on the amount of towing that you intend to do, the 3.73 may be a bit of over kill. I know Toyota likes to gear real low or at least they did on the trucks with the smaller engines. Not really necessary with the 6R80 and the 10 speed transmissions. Having said all that, peace of mind is priceless and one must be happy with their purchase.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:03 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
From comments on the forum I am unsure if I would get benefit from any better rebates offered in Dec,Jan,Feb or just choice between rebates from Contract and Delivery dates. Anybody know for sure?
You can either take the full package deal available when you placed the order, or the full package deal when you take delivery. I've had folks get a coupon in between and the truck made it in by 2 days before it expired so they could use it. If it hadn't, Ford would have simply responded "They didn't have the coupon when they ordered, so it wasn't part of their decision." You can get an exception sometimes, but it's not common and you can't bank on it. Generally rebates get better, so the real risk of losing out this early in the production cycle is limited.

As for
I've yet to see anyone post "w[ish] I got an EB instead of the 5.0"
You can say the same for the other way around. No one who has moved on to new better technology and wished they went backwards. Most folks get the 5.0 out of a loyalty to v8s more than anything. It's an irrational decision unless you just want to save a few bucks. Some folks still farm with horses after all.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:37 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Schlotzky
Good point. I was on the fence in ordering these on mine but ended up getting them, and they are probably one of my favorite practical elements on the truck.
+2. I use those side steps all the time. Partly to do with the high sides on the box, but they are very, very handy.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:45 AM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
^^^^side box steps, I had them on my 2012, I did not have a cap, but i did have a hard folding tonneu cover that also opened from the front, being low profile, I needed that to reach inside the front of the bed, love my factory nav as it displays speed limit almost anywhere I go, when I'm in my wife's car, I miss the nav, I am sure there is an app for that on smart phones.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:56 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Schlotzky
If you get Sync 3, yes you can do android auto/apple carplay and get nav on the screen, which is really nice and largely negates the need for factory nav. I have the factory nav, and while it's good, it still doesn't compare to google maps for ease of use and versitility.
IMHO...skip the NAV for your new f150. As mentioned...the Sync 3 with Android Auto/Apple Carplay help tremendously if you have a smartphone.

biz

Old 11-23-2016, 12:49 PM
elemint
Elder User
I would avoid any first year Ford transmission, i.e. The new 10 speed. For the life of me I could never understand Fords dismal success with transmissions.

Quick Reply: Placing order soon. Any advice?