Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Ford rejects CK 4 oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 08:36 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Ford rejects CK 4 oil

I know this is on a website that not too many people care for but it wasn't Bill doing the talking about the new oil coming out in Dec plus this mainly applies to the 6.4 and 6.7 engines but he did mention that it affected the 7.3 and 6.0 engines as well. Does anybody have any info or can they confirm that it would affect our oil system and injectors?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gmMfsG...ature=youtu.be

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gmMfsG...ature=youtu.be

Old 11-19-2016, 12:11 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
I typed this up for the comments on that video but since Google will not allow any anti-government speak in the comments for most videos on Youtube, here it is (It shows up when I login under my account but is not shown to others) :

"The new oil specification (PC-11) is designed to do nothing more than destroy the older diesel engines. This is the plan. It's very similar to "Cash for Clunkers" in that it's going to take vehicles off the road that our overbearing government deems as "gross polluters". The environmental and "green energy" companies are pushing this by way of bureaucratic legislation to enact their electric car agendas. Word on the street says that it's backwards compatible, or at least PC-11A is supposed to be, but it will still destroy what is currently available and currently being used in the internal combustion market at this time. The marketing hype is this: "2% better fuel economy in heavy diesel engines DESIGNED FOR USE with the CK-4 engines." That's right, engine manufacturers are having to redesign the metallurgy of the engines and the tolerances to effectively stave off the effects of this inferior oil "technology". It's sad that the EPA and API are working together to completely destroy the oil market which will in turn destroy the engines in the vehicles we drive, the equipment we use, and severely slow (and increase the cost of) the delivery of goods and services we use every day via heavy truck delivery. Have a nice day. I have over the past year purchased and stored hundreds of gallons of CJ-4 oil to keep my stuff running for a good long while regardless of the oil specification (fuel availability may become a concern though) because I've seen the writing on the wall for a while now."

Old 11-19-2016, 12:46 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
So, what I have gathered from this is that the new oil "destroys" older diesel engines, but in an undetermined time-frame because of the variations in use.

Although, as long as we continue to use CJ-4 oil, or the new Ford standard WSS-M2C171-F1 which may only be sold by Ford for a while, we are good to go...

Looks like the price of an oil change just doubled if we are going to have to get synthetic oil from Ford. Perhaps an additive can be purchased to bring CK-4 oil down to CJ-4 level where we need it to be, no idea...

I guess if Ford is the only place to get the new authorized standard of oil, online retailers for Ford will be getting mail orders from me soon enough.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:00 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
I'm sure glad cleatus acknowledged this BS is about to happen so I will be going to all the Walmarts in town and buying my favorite brand.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:43 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Below is a report indicating the Ford WILL approve Shell Rotella CK-4 formula, but not FA-4 formula. So, don't run out and buy all of the oil you can and store it for years to come as you may be reacting a bit too fast.

Ford will approve new Shell Rotella CK-4 oil, but not FA-4 | Medium Duty Work Truck Info

I found this link when searching for a Motorcraft/Ford synthetic oil that would meet WSS-M2C171-F1 specifications.

EDIT: Another story that CK-4 is going to just fine for us...

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2016...specification/

Did you notice at the end (time of 16:10) of the PowerStrokeHelp.com video Bill mentioned "Archoil will overcome all of these lubrication issues". Isn't he a dealer for Archoil?

Old 11-19-2016, 02:01 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Yes he is a pusher of Archoil. That stuff isn't cheap either. I looked on Amazon and had sticker shock.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:03 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I was going to purchase enough T6 for 3 oil changes to hold me over until this was all figured out. But after searching WSS-M2C171-F1 on Google and reading through several stories/articles that CK-4 will be OK and FA-4 will not be I will not buy the oil in bulk. By the time I need another oil change, the smoke will have cleared and panic will have subsided.

Thanks for posting the change and background information though, knowledge is good to have when making decisions.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:35 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I have been saying this for a while, that the new oil is not as good as the old oil for the 7.3 or 6.0 motors. The new oil will destroy the old motors. The additives that our motors need, Zinc, is a pollutant. It messes up the pollution equipment on the newer motors, therefore it has to be removed from the oil. I deleted my 6.4 and have been running the old CJ-4 rated oil in it.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:41 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
The new oil will destroy the old motors. The additives that our motors need, Zinc, is a pollutant.
I am not being argumentative here, but if Ford is working with Shell/Rotella and claiming that the CK-4 standard will be fine for us to use, then why will this destroy our engines?

I understand that FA-4 is not going to be, or currently is not WSS-M2C171-F1 compliant, but CK-4 appears that it will be by Ford and should not be any different than CJ-4, which is what we have been running for years.

Subscribed and learning from people that know a lot more about this than I do.

Old 11-19-2016, 03:42 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
I commented on this before watching the video. That said, the new oils don't have some of the wear resistant additives in them that the older oils have. Now, according to the video, the CK-4 is more resistant to wear, but Ford is not buying it based on their research of the new oil. Perhaps I need to research this a little more. But Cody says basically the same thing.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:10 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I understand and see your point, although the two articles I posted after a very quick Google search indicate that Ford will in fact utilize the CK-4 standard in the future. Unless I am reading too much into the articles.

Shell Position on new Ford Diesel Engine Oil Specification - Engine Builder Magazine

Ford will approve new Shell Rotella CK-4 oil, but not FA-4 | Medium Duty Work Truck Info

Again, I am not saying that you guys are wrong, just saying that we may not be privy to all of the information and sometimes "because that is the way we have always done it" is not always the right way.

Even if it is true and Ford will not sanction the use of CK-4 oil, what are we left with? Motorcraft synthetic oil at $9 a quart?

https://amazon.com/dp/B001H1OLOW/ref...I2GQSQVAC21FH0

Old 11-19-2016, 04:20 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
The CJ-4 oil is still available.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:28 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
The CJ-4 oil is still available.
Yes, it is. Although, if the EPA is going to mandate that the CJ-4 standard is kicked to the curb to make way for the CK-4 standard, we will see CJ-4 disappearing from the shelves.

Personally, I am optimistic that the articles I posted are right in that they contradict Bill in the videos who is pushing his Archoil products and that CK-4 will be approved by Ford for use in all PSD trucks.

EDIT: In addition to our own discussion, there is a thread on the 6.7 forum that is getting much more participation at the link below.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-fa4-oils.html

Old 11-19-2016, 06:16 PM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reading all of this brings one major question to mind. Should we all install secondary oil filters and either run our oil longer, or do half drains with filter changes to extend intervals?

dont slam me, I'm just hunting for additional options should Thai new CK-4 harm our beloved 7.3.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:44 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Jesser, if the answer is that we need better filtering once CK-4 is out and is all that is available then I predict a spike in sales of oil bypass systems. If CK-4 will in fact be sanctioned by Ford, then we have nothing to worry about. I believe it is all speculation at this point, but I could be wrong.

If you feel the need to go out and buy 100 gallons of oil at this point, you should do that. I have purchased enough for my next oil change, which is due now anyway and will wait until 6K miles are up again on the odometer to see where Ford and Shell/Rotella stand with the new EPA mandates.

Quick Reply: Ford rejects CK 4 oil