2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

F150's New 4.8L V8 should be a Force to reckon with!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 05:36 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Here's an interesting article

Since the CAFE discussion came up it got me to thinking about why the ranger is returning. Yes, it's about sales but also about MPG's. Check out this article from C&D: 2019 Ford Ranger: 25 Cars Worth Waiting For ? Feature ? Car and Driver

Additionally it got me to thinking that the main reason that the new Expedition is only available with the 3.5L Ecoboost is because the 5.0L could be going away. Both engines in any sane opinion would be a hit for the Expedition especially if they were offered together.

The point here the Ranger's estimated 31 MPG's with the 3.2L inline diesel.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:06 AM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
Old 11-19-2016, 10:21 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
I think that's likely. My main point was that the 5.0L isn't an old design that's nearing the end of its lifecycle. Lots of folks still think the 5.0L has something to do with their grandfather's 302 of yore.
I think this is somewhat of the old tech adage referred to as "eat your children". One of the realities I lived with when I worked in tech was that you can't sit on your latest and greatest too long, because the competition is targeting their next design on what you have out there now. If you don't work to obsolete your own best products, your competition surely will. The best get better.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:24 PM
Papa Tiger
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts
Europe is design building bigger displacement engines to be able to meet the standards. Maybe this ford will get twin turbos.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:04 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Hope it wont be a huge pain to work on like the older MOD engines. The 5.0 Coyote is easy to work on. If I had to guess this new engine will run DI and IDI as well as MDS.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:03 AM
Arctic_Wolf
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I recall reading a few years ago that the Coyote 5.0 heads were already pre-configured in such a way as to allow direct injection modifications in the future. This would allow Ford to just machine the existing castings differently, rather than completely redesign new castings with totally different valvetrain/spark plug geometry.

Maybe the new 4.8 is a debored/destroked version of the Coyote with turbos/DI/cylinder deactivation?

Old 11-20-2016, 05:24 AM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
I would think it is more likey based on the new 3.5 EB architecture. That way it's already desined to be turbo/supercharged from the beginning. Anything is just a guess right now.

Although, quick math shows a 2 cylinder increase would yeild 4.375 liters, the deck height could be raised for a longer stroke when casting an 8 cylinder version. I don't know the bore spacing of the new 3.5 EB off hand, but there is probably room to increase the bore somewhat too.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:56 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by JKBrad
I would think it is more likey based on the new 3.5 EB architecture. That way it's already desined to be turbo/supercharged from the beginning. Anything is just a guess right now.

Although, quick math shows a 2 cylinder increase would yeild 4.375 liters, the deck height couls be raised for a longer stroke when casting an 8 cylinder version. I don't know the bore spacing of the new 3.5 EB off hand, but there is probably room to increase the bore somewhat too.
You may well have nailed it because the bore and stroke of the 3.5L and the 5.0L are more similar than people realize. As for internal geometry, I'm clueless.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:00 AM
Arctic_Wolf
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^ Makes sense, JKBrad and tseekins.

When pictures of the prototype engine show up it will be interesting to see the angle of the cylinder banks. The vast majority of V8 designs have a 90-degree config, and most V6s have a 60-degree angle, but there are always exceptions.

If the new engine turns out to be a 60-degree V8 then its virtually guaranteed to be a stretched 2017+ 3.5EB variant. A narrow-angle V8 engine makes room for integrated exhaust manifold-turbos and allows for a relatively compact DOHC package.

Pic of Gen II 3.5EB:

Old 11-20-2016, 08:27 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Arctic_Wolf
^^^ Makes sense, JKBrad and tseekins.

When pictures of the prototype engine show up it will be interesting to see the angle of the cylinder banks. The vast majority of V8 designs have a 90-degree config, and most V6s have a 60-degree angle, but there are always exceptions.

If the new engine turns out to be a 60-degree V8 then its virtually guaranteed to be a stretched 2017+ 3.5EB variant. A narrow-angle V8 engine makes room for integrated exhaust manifold-turbos and allows for a relatively compact DOHC package.
That's an outstanding point. The Coyote is a 90-degree engine, and the V-6es are 60-degree engines.

I think it's more likely to be based on the Coyote engine, though. The 3.5L engine wasn't boosted until three years after introduction, and the many components are shared with its N/A counterpart. I had an '11 Mustang GT, and at the time I read quite a bit about the Coyote, as it was a fresh design for that model year. Every article I found mentioned that it was designed for forced induction and direct injection from the start.

Of course we're all just guessing, here...we'll find out for sure sooner or later!

Old 11-20-2016, 10:21 AM
Papa Tiger
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts
Think Ford will stay with the 2.7L type build design manufacturing techniques only V8 and attached to head turbo + the dual type injection systems ? Believe the old Aluminum fatigue thing has shown up in some continually hot running 3.5's and will possibly be the reason for the compacted blocks !

Old 11-20-2016, 11:01 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The earlier mentioning of Ford using possible cylinder deactivation reminded me of my 2011 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. Dodge boasted about the deactivation mode saving fuel. Has there ever been a study to prove this claim? It seems logical to me that if the engine deactivates 2 cylinders, then the remaining 6 will just work a little harder, I.E. Use a little more fuel to accomplish the same amount of work. perhaps it's about the individual cylinder efficiency being higher if the cylinder is performing at a slightly higher work load? Any test articles on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Jag

Old 11-20-2016, 12:01 PM
Schlotzky
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jag Red 54
The earlier mentioning of Ford using possible cylinder deactivation reminded me of my 2011 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. Dodge boasted about the deactivation mode saving fuel. Has there ever been a study to prove this claim? It seems logical to me that if the engine deactivates 2 cylinders, then the remaining 6 will just work a little harder, I.E. Use a little more fuel to accomplish the same amount of work. perhaps it's about the individual cylinder efficiency being higher if the cylinder is performing at a slightly higher work load? Any test articles on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Jag
I don't have an article handy, but I installed an indicator light on my Jeep Commander that came on when MDS was active, which was 4-cyl mode. I saw a notable increase in instant mpg on the readout when it was active vs. inactive.

I have read studies on it, and you're right. The additional work that has to be done by half the cylinders largely offsets the lower number of cylinders in use. So while at a cursory glance, one might assume you could gain significant efficiency on half the cylinders, it's more like a 5-10% efficiency gain in many cases, which translates to 1-2mpg. which is still significant. I can attest to terrible city mileage in my hemi, while returning similar highway mileage to the new Ford, which I attribute to MDS.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:20 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the response. I know that my Hemi routinely gave me verified 20-21 mpg at 75-80 mph. I wish there had been a button to disable the MDS just for a test.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:07 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
What if the new V8 is actually for the rumored Hybrid F150?

Josh

Quick Reply: F150's New 4.8L V8 should be a Force to reckon with!