Notices

Getting the Ford Prep 5th wheel hitch out

Old 11-16-2016, 09:27 AM
ritterjd
New User
ritterjd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Getting the Ford Prep 5th wheel hitch out

Anyone have any magic secrets to help remove a stuck hitch from the bed? Recently purchased a used 2011 F350 DRW truck that came with a Reese Elite 25K hitch installed. When I tried to remove for the first time, only 1 of the 4 pucks would turn and release. The supplied, super soft metal wrench, was bent already and won't release the jam nuts. Reese tells me that the jam nuts won't prevent the pucks from turning anyway. I have sprayed rust penetrating oil down there and also have tried to turn and release the mounts with the trailer weight pushing down. Still stuck.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:42 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
take a hammer and give it some help or carefully apply some heat to the area as well.

Are you using pb blaster?

Old 11-16-2016, 09:49 AM
jetjockey99
Posting Guru
jetjockey99 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jetjockey99 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have the 18K reese on mine with the puck system although it predates the OEM setup, they are the same. You may have to tap/pound on the levers to get them to turn, I have a much better wrench than the one that comes with the hitch, you should be able to find one and the parts store. after getting it out you can find directions on the net to show you how to adjust it so it is not quite so tight, easy to do just takes a little time, mine now unlatches easily, but does not rattle at all, there is a fine line between too tight and too loose, although you are still safe if you get it a little loose.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:55 AM
ritterjd
New User
Originally Posted by senix View Post
take a hammer and give it some help or carefully apply some heat to the area as well.

Are you using pb blaster?
Didn't have PB Blaster handy, I had another brand. I'll pick up a can and give it a try. I'm up for about anything that may work. Thanks.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:58 AM
ritterjd
New User
Originally Posted by jetjockey99 View Post
I have the 18K reese on mine with the puck system although it predates the OEM setup, they are the same. You may have to tap/pound on the levers to get them to turn, I have a much better wrench than the one that comes with the hitch, you should be able to find one and the parts store. after getting it out you can find directions on the net to show you how to adjust it so it is not quite so tight, easy to do just takes a little time, mine now unlatches easily, but does not rattle at all, there is a fine line between too tight and too loose, although you are still safe if you get it a little loose.
I have banged and pried on the levers enough that I am afraid that they will bend/break if I do much more. I have looked around for a better wrench but haven't found one. I have a 1 1/2 inch open end wrench but you can't get it in that area. Any idea where you found one? I also think I can get our tool shop to make one if it comes to that.

Thanks.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:59 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
also spray underneath.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:01 PM
r2millers
Postmaster
r2millers has a brilliant futurer2millers has a brilliant futurer2millers has a brilliant futurer2millers has a brilliant futurer2millers has a brilliant futurer2millers has a brilliant futurer2millers has a brilliant futurer2millers has a brilliant futurer2millers has a brilliant futurer2millers has a brilliant futurer2millers has a brilliant future
You might try again with the trailer attached, running slowly forward and back with slight braking. Have someone in the bed with the wrench, putting pressure on the hold down when braking.
I have to do this to release my slider when I can't move it by myself.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:05 PM
Good listener
Senior User
Good listener is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Good listener is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I think you can use a drift/punch under the bed to release the feet if they are turned front to rear. The manual tell use to apply grease into the puck holes, so I'm guessing that corrosion due to lack of doing it is the culprit here. I grease mine a couple of time a season even though I install and remove the hitch frequently.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:38 PM
scraprat
Postmaster
scraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant future
I personally like anti seize, coated mine before putting the hitch in the pucks. Seems to do trick when the hitch isn't removed often.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:59 AM
senix
since I spray fluid film all under my truck as a protectant, it also serves as a lubricant so I use in that location as well.