2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Upgrades to the stock stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 10:47 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,194 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_17
thank you sir, your search skills are much better than mine.

No problem. I actually sent one of the guys who already did this a PM and he sent it to me. I then promptly forgot to post it...LOL...

Old 01-04-2017, 01:36 PM
EightySecond
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KajunKingRanch
I'm holding out for Kicker to make a sub that replaces the stock speaker like in the F150.

Vehicle Specific Solutions (VSS) | KICKER®
Holy cow, that kicker for the F250 is $700??!?!

Old 01-04-2017, 01:43 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by EightySecond
Holy cow, that kicker for the F250 is $700??!?!

It's not only expensive, but it's also not an upgrade to the Sony system. It's compatible but not an improvement. Lot's of F150 guys without the Sony system bought it and raved about it so Kicker came out with an amp relocation bracket to make it compatible with the Sony system. What they didn't say was it's basically equal to the sub that comes from Ford with the Sony system and make no real improvement. A few Sony system guys on the F150 forums tried it, pulled it, and sent it back.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:11 PM
EightySecond
Elder User
That's good to know. So in goofball terminology (me :-) ) that I may be able to comprehend, what is it that the new Rockford Fosgate gadget will do?

DSR1 - 8-Channel Interactive Signal Processor w/ Integrated iDatalink Maestro Module | Rockford Fosgate®

What they are saying might as well be Mandarin Chinese. lol

Old 01-04-2017, 02:54 PM
System
Prolocutor
OK, from what I've gleaned, the stock Sony amp is being fed it's signal from the stock audio system through a propitiatory digital CAN BUS signal. This means you can't just tap the low level unamplified signal between the head and the amp to feed your aftermarket amps with a nice clean signal. You have to tap the amp's high level output leads that run to your speakers. Now, normally, this wouldn't be a big deal. Many aftermarket amps accommodate high/speaker level input. Or, if your amp doesn't, you can get a line out converter that changes high/speaker level signal into low/RCA level signal.

Now, here's the issue with doing that with Ford's Sony system. Ford's Sony amp has a built in DSP. Digital Signal Processor. It plays with the EQ settings, timing between front and rear speakers, etc. based on volume level. It does this for a few reasons but mostly to protect the cheap OEM speakers. For example, it will cut the bass output as you increase volume to keep from overloading the stock woofers... and so on. So, if you grab that manipulated signal to feed your amp and new high end speakers, you're not able to run them at their full potential.

Now, what guys generally do is run their own DSP like the JL audio FIX86 shown earlier in this thread. It grabs the manipulated signal, sums all the channels together (tweeters, woofers, front, rear, etc.) and gives you a full range signal. It then has a calibration CD you play in your truck to allow it's DSP to know where you are as a starting point for tuning your system. After that, you can plug in your laptop and set all different bands of equalization to your liking. So, basically it's reversing the Sony amp/DSP's manipulation and getting you back to a nice clean signal to send to your aftermarket amp(s).

Now, the new Rockford unit is similar as it's still a DSP with all kinds of tuning ability. However, with it will come a vehicle specific harness that will plug in BEFORE the Sony amp. So, it won't have to go through all the signal summing etc to get you a clean signal. It will read Ford's CAN signal directly before it gets manipulated and then allow you to tune from there. So, bottom line is it's skipping the Sony's signal manipulation and thus doesn't have to manipulate it all back to get a clean signal. Cutting out the middle man as it were. Another great feature about it is it has built in bluetooth. So, you don't need your laptop and a cable to dial it in. You can link to it by BT through an app and make your adjustments. Even on the fly. Yet another great feature of the RF is it uses your OEM controls to adjust things. For example, you can use your OEM bass control to raise and lower your subwoofer amp level. Last thing about it is it's price. $250 retail and likely less when it hits the resellers. The FIX86 is $350 and options go up from there. I've seen fancy DSP's going for over 1k.

Old 01-04-2017, 03:08 PM
bronc71
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
OK, from what I've gleaned, the stock Sony amp is being fed it's signal from the stock audio system through a propitiatory CAN BUS signal. This means you can't just tap the signal between the head and the amp to feed your aftermarket amps with a nice clean signal. You have to tap the amp's high level output leads that run to your speakers. Now, normally, this wouldn't be a big deal. Many aftermarket amps accommodate high/speaker level input. Or, if your amp doesn't, you can get a line out converter that changes high/speaker level signal into low/RCA level signal.

Now, here's the issue with doing that with Ford's Sony system. Ford's Sony amp has a built in DSP. Digital Signal Processor. It plays with the EQ settings, timing between front and rear speakers, etc. based on volume level. It does this for a few reasons but mostly to protect the cheap OEM speakers. For example, it will cut the bass output as you increase volume to keep from overloading the stock woofers... and so on. So, if you grab that manipulated signal to feed your amp and new high end speakers, you're not able to run them at their full potential.

Now, what guys generally do is run their own DSP like the JL audio FIX86 shown earlier in this thread. It grabs the manipulated signal, sums all the channels together (tweeters, woofers, front, rear, etc.) and gives you a full range signal. It then has a calibration CD you play in your truck to allow it's DSP to know where you are as a starting point for tuning your system. After that, you can plug in your laptop and set all different bands of equalization to your liking. So, basically it's reversing the Sony amp/DSP's manipulation and getting you back to a nice clean signal to send to your aftermarket amp(s).

Now, the new Rockford unit is similar as it's still a DSP with all kinds of tuning ability. However, with it will come a vehicle specific harness that will plug in BEFORE the Sony amp. So, it won't have to go through all the signal summing etc to get you a clean signal. It will read Ford's CAN signal directly before it gets manipulated and then allow you to tune from there. So, bottom line is it's skipping the Sony's signal manipulation and thus doesn't have to manipulate it all back to get a clean signal. Cutting out the middle man as it were. Another great feature about it is it has built in bluetooth. So, you don't need your laptop and a cable to dial it in. You can link to it by BT through an app and make your adjustments. Even on the fly. Yet another great feature of the RF is it uses your OEM controls to adjust things. For example, you can use your OEM bass control to raise and lower your subwoofer amp level. Last thing about it is it's price. $250 retail and likely less when it hits the resellers. The FIX86 is $350 and options go up from there. I've seen fancy DSP's going for over 1k.
Good read right there Thanks!

Old 01-04-2017, 03:16 PM
ROADRUNNER1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rodney, what keeps the Sony Amp from still manipulating the signal from the Rockford DSP since it plugs in before the Sony Amp?

Old 01-04-2017, 03:20 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by ROADRUNNER1
Rodney, what keeps the Sony Amp from still manipulating the signal from the Rockford DSP since it plugs in before the Sony Amp?

The Sony amp is no longer in play. The Rockford DSP also serves as your line out converter and has RCA outputs that feed your new amp(s) directly. What I'm curious about is if the Sony amp can just be removed from the truck. It's just taking up space at that point.

In the past you couldn't eliminate the Sony amp/dsp completely as it also sent out your navigation directions etc. But now that the RF unit is getting the CAN signal, it's really not needed as far as I can see?

Old 01-04-2017, 03:36 PM
ROADRUNNER1
Senior User
Ok, I missed the part about dumping the sony amp.

Old 01-04-2017, 03:40 PM
EightySecond
Elder User
Rodney, you sir, are the man. thanks.

Old 01-04-2017, 03:46 PM
System
Prolocutor
Thanks Andy and Bronc!

RR, sorry for not posting clearly on that part. It's not you it's me...LOL...

Old 01-04-2017, 07:17 PM
ROADRUNNER1
Senior User
Thanks for all the notes and info about the stereo system. I might get the itch to upgrade the sound a little in the future.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:19 AM
ysgi
Mountain Pass
Kind of OT, but not completely.

Do the back seats fold DOWN on a '17 Crew Cab?

I know they fold up, but mine look like they'd fold down without too much effort? But it was raining and I was late so I thought I'd not force the issue and ruin a seat - and just ask,

Thnks,

ysgi

Old 01-05-2017, 06:14 AM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by ysgi
Kind of OT, but not completely.

Do the back seats fold DOWN on a '17 Crew Cab?

I know they fold up, but mine look like they'd fold down without too much effort? But it was raining and I was late so I thought I'd not force the issue and ruin a seat - and just ask,

Thnks,

ysgi
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-crew-cab.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...side-seat.html

Old 01-09-2017, 09:53 AM
tuclai
Mountain Pass
Hi guys, been so dam sick the last two weeks have not been able to keep up. But year the RF 360 might be the way to go. I will continue with my JL fix86, but at least I know there is something on the way if I'm not satisfied. One thing the 360 seem to also have is active EQ and possibly controllable by a mobile device, this is a game changer.

Quick Reply: Upgrades to the stock stereo?