Notices

Strange water leak

Old 11-13-2016, 10:46 AM
rvpuller
rvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud of
Strange water leak

Has anyone ever seen something like this happen to a plastic fitting, this was in the water inlet to my water heater with a plastic pex fitting attracted to it.

Denny

Attached Images   
Old 11-13-2016, 11:47 AM
Sous
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
It looks like the one side either wore away from friction or melted a bit. I have not seen this before.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:52 AM
rvpuller
rvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud of
There was no sighs of any pieces in the pex fitting and I didn't notice a leak until yesterday but it has been leaking for a few days, one good thing is we are in the desert so everything is drying put fast.

Denny

Old 11-13-2016, 02:16 PM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
Haven't seen it before. The only thing I just now at the tank are brass back check valves. If the internals are not necessary because of shut offs on the pex, I gut them.

Steve

Old 11-13-2016, 02:35 PM
rvpuller
My tank is steel with no brass fittings anywhere and the end that is bad went into the plastic pex fitting. When I get to Yuma and have time I'm going to change the top fitting, I want to do it the morning and not late on a Saturday afternoon in case I run into problems.

Denny

Old 11-13-2016, 04:25 PM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
Denny,

I just always replace anything screwed into the tank with brass. I have had problem with those little plastic nipples leaking, so I just don't mess with them.

Steve

Old 11-13-2016, 06:13 PM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by RV_Tech View Post
Denny,

I just always replace anything screwed into the tank with brass. I have had problem with those little plastic nipples leaking, so I just don't mess with them.

Steve
I tried to use brass but late in the day all the brass ones were to short or to long so I bought a plastic one.

Denny

Old 11-14-2016, 05:02 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
makes me wonder if checking this area is something to add to the checks?

I always, every few days, open the basement and take visual at the water connections but not the access area for the heater.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:37 AM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
Usually the leaks I see there are more common on units with considerable age and it depends on what has been used at the tank. I have the most trouble with that nipple that Denny included in his post. Even when I am installing a new one, sometimes I just can't get them to seal, so I just stopped using them at all.

Steve

Old 11-14-2016, 09:19 AM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by senix View Post
makes me wonder if checking this area is something to add to the checks?

I always, every few days, open the basement and take visual at the water connections but not the access area for the heater.
I started looking for the leak when I found water in the basement, access to my water heater isn't easy because I have to remove some panels under the sink. I also found that I couldn't turn the bottom bypass valve but after some creative cutting I can now turn it.

Denny