Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What small repairs/upgrades make a big difference in an old truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 07:24 AM
wevie
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What small repairs/upgrades make a big difference in an old truck?

You know those little annoying things that we just learn to live with? Something that really isn't expensive or time consuming, but we just ignore them.

I'll start.....

Door pins. Drives me nuts when the FIRST thing you experience with your truck is opening the door and it drops an inch. Simple and cheap fix that just makes things feel more solid.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:57 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
Rattles. Tighten and/or replace screws/bolts/fasteners

Broken plastic that you can mend with lots of epoxy metal reinforcement glued behind it.

Its not for everybody, but cleaning under the hood in stages. Lots like to go all out with steam cleaning, but I try & do a lot of wiping down by hand with rags in each area I work on with each separate job. Makes later work easier. Take some thing out, clean it good.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:27 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wevie
Door pins. Drives me nuts when the FIRST thing you experience with your truck is opening the door and it drops an inch. Simple and cheap fix that just makes things feel more solid.
But door pins aren't really an issue on these Fords. Sure they wear out, not nearly as bad/quickly as Chevies but they do. However unlike Chevies our door hinges are adjustable, loosening 6 bolts and lifting the door is a simple and FREE fix.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:57 PM
VroomSix
Freshman User
Also, the door striker bolt bushings. These make your doors seal muuuuch better when replaced and make the cab significantly quieter at highway speeds.

Also, go around your interior and tighten all the little black screws that hold the interior plastics together. You'll be surprised how many little creeks and rattles just disapear and it literally takes 30 seconds with a screwdriver. Wanted to kick myself for not doing this when I bought the truck. It eliminated 80% of my interior noises.

Also, Shocks. It cannot be understated just how cheap stock shocks for OBS trucks are, and if they're original forget it. There was a sale at Auotzone, picked up a set of 4 Rancho 5000 shocks for $120. TRANSFORMED the truck.

That's just off the top of my head. Gimme a bit I'll think of more...

Old 11-10-2016, 02:17 PM
luv2fly
Junior User
Rebuilt the brakes and Emergency brake cable (5 speed). New calipers, front hoses, premium pads, new spring kit in the rear and shoes. Flushed the fluid while I was in there.

New E brake lines from LMC and everything worked as new and braking power was SOOOOO much better.

Brake components for these trucks are cheap, new hoses make a big difference over the 25 year old crusty ones. Well worth the effort. Such an easy thing to do to make our trucks more enjoyable to drive.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:54 PM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been trying to ignore the 2 cracks in my drivers side door panel. But after 6 years, I'm starting to get tired of looking at them. Maybe I'll get a new door panel soon

And I put in a new power point a few months after I bought it, since the PO decided to take it out for some reason.

The ashtray would never stay shut, it slid open anytime I hit a bump. So for two years I put up with it and just closed it every time it slid open. Until I finally picked a perfect one out at a junkyard for $2

Old 11-10-2016, 05:49 PM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by luv2fly
Rebuilt the brakes and Emergency brake cable (5 speed). New calipers, front hoses, premium pads, new spring kit in the rear and shoes. Flushed the fluid while I was in there.

New E brake lines from LMC and everything worked as new and braking power was SOOOOO much better.

Brake components for these trucks are cheap, new hoses make a big difference over the 25 year old crusty ones. Well worth the effort. Such an easy thing to do to make our trucks more enjoyable to drive.
Over time, my 96' had lost rear brake power. It happened so slowly I didn't realize how bad it was. I had a couple dreams where I would be attempting to stop the truck and couldn't! Anyway, I replaced rear wheel cylinders, rear lines, drums, shoes, and all drum springs. The front end got new calipers & pads. It felt like a sports car in terms of braking compared to the leaky cylinders that I pulled off. That was around $120 of parts and I completely agree it made a huge difference. No more bad dreams either, lol.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:10 AM
RJL1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fastback460

The ashtray would never stay shut, it slid open anytime I hit a bump. So for two years I put up with it and just closed it every time it slid open. Until I finally picked a perfect one out at a junkyard for $2

I had the same problem only I just took a screw and a big washer and screwed the ashtray shut.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:24 AM
MeTo
Tuned
Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts
New whether stripping for the doors and resealed the firewall to cab joint. No more leaks.

Old 11-11-2016, 03:04 PM
VroomSix
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Fastback460
I've been trying to ignore the 2 cracks in my drivers side door panel. But after 6 years, I'm starting to get tired of looking at them. Maybe I'll get a new door panel soon

And I put in a new power point a few months after I bought it, since the PO decided to take it out for some reason.

I had the same thing. It drove me nuts! That rattling ashtray haunted my dreams My junkyard piece cost $11 after a bit of haggling. Not as good a deal as you but worth every penny

Old 11-12-2016, 02:11 PM
kellen302
Senior User
Shocks were a quality investment, also the passenger side dashboard bracket that is plastic frequently shears. This results in that big clatter over bumps as one side of the dashboard is unsupported. It also puts extra load on the other mounting points and you can end up with a lot of small cracks in your dashboard at the windshield edge mounting screw. The fix was ford issued and is a little steel bracket that gets riveted in. Bronco Graveyard had the brackets when I did the fix, but you could probably make your own as well.

Old 11-12-2016, 02:20 PM
PRIMERED79 SHORT BED
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kellen302
Shocks were a quality investment, also the passenger side dashboard bracket that is plastic frequently shears. This results in that big clatter over bumps as one side of the dashboard is unsupported. It also puts extra load on the other mounting points and you can end up with a lot of small cracks in your dashboard at the windshield edge mounting screw. The fix was ford issued and is a little steel bracket that gets riveted in. Bronco Graveyard had the brackets when I did the fix, but you could probably make your own as well.
Mine was broke too.
Nothing two, three inch self tapping screws can't fix. 😁

Old 11-12-2016, 03:54 PM
MoBill122
Papa Smurf
Received 136 Likes on 77 Posts
On my 95 Dually crew cab I had to replace every door pin on the truck eventually. Other than that I loved that old work horse !

Old 01-19-2017, 10:00 AM
arse_sidewards
More Turbo
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Assuming nothing is currently broken, fix the interior rattles, adjust the sector shaft depth on the steering box and throw all the front end wear parts at if if you have the time and $.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:55 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by wevie
You know those little annoying things that we just learn to live with? Something that really isn't expensive or time consuming, but we just ignore them.

I'll start.....

One of the most satisfying thing I have found is noise reduction

Lowes peal n Seal used like dynamat

Surgical tubing put inside factory door weather strips

New belt line moulding and wind felt guides

Quick Reply: What small repairs/upgrades make a big difference in an old truck?