2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Rustyshakelford's ordered F-450 and Tractor thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 09:20 AM
tjkadar
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't imagine mowing our spread with anything less than a 72" deck!

Old 09-07-2017, 12:51 PM
Stalwart
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I originally wanted a rear discharge but had to go with the side discharge because I like to mulch. Got a GrassFlap chute blocker for safety near the house. I can mow our northern grasses at 7-8 mph with chute open, unlike the southern guys that can mow 15 mph with my mower. Still, 6 acres of lawn in less than 1.75 hours isn't bad. It would be faster but I have more smoothing and moles to kill. I decided on the Grand L series because I could still use a front mounted snow blower.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:35 PM
rustyshakelford
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by motomed
How are you liking the rear discharge? About ready to get the same thing with 72" rear discharge, dealer looks at me like I'm crazy for wanting 72 and for wanting rear discharge, but he can't really give me any good reason for thinking so other than not selling many of either. I'm pretty set on rear discharge, I like the idea of trimming on both sides and not launching debris at my vehicles/house/family. I could go either way with deck size but if the extra foot is going to get the job done faster then I'll take it.
Only about 1.5 hrs on it so far. Love it. Very happy I didn't get the SD. You stay so much cleaner with the RD. As for the 72", I would only go that way if you have a very smooth yard. I would worry about scalping if it wasn't smooth. Should have plenty of power and worst case is you'll need to slow down a bit in the thick stuff.

Originally Posted by tjkadar
I can't imagine mowing our spread with anything less than a 72" deck!
I use this just around the house. Everywhere else I'll use the batwing. Got enough trees dug that I can hammer down and get it done quick

Originally Posted by Stalwart
I originally wanted a rear discharge but had to go with the side discharge because I like to mulch. Got a GrassFlap chute blocker for safety near the house. I can mow our northern grasses at 7-8 mph with chute open, unlike the southern guys that can mow 15 mph with my mower. Still, 6 acres of lawn in less than 1.75 hours isn't bad. It would be faster but I have more smoothing and moles to kill. I decided on the Grand L series because I could still use a front mounted snow blower.
That's getting it still! So far the RD does a great job mulching. I think it keeps the grass in the chamber much longer to get it really cut up

Started another project too. Added a gas powered hyd pump to my dump trailer. Much better, no need to worry about the dang battery or elec pump anymore. It'll run all day long

Brett

Attached Images   
Old 10-03-2017, 06:51 PM
rustyshakelford
Elder User
Got our rtv in yesterday. Loving it. It's not fast by any means but talking about riding in style! Will be ordering the new skid soon as soon as I can figure out what credit card to get. Realized how much money I'm spending with my debit card and would like to get points or miles for it atleast. The skid and gps system will be about 5k alone. That would be worth something I'd hope.

Brand new ordered a couple months ago. 2" lift, 27x11x12 tires, 4K warn winch so far.

Brett

Old 10-18-2017, 06:35 PM
rustyshakelford
Elder User
Ordered the UTV sprayer and a raven cr7 gps. That was a quick 5k gone. Excited to get it going and maybe making some money! Love the rtv though. Runs good and is pretty capable so far

Brett

As for the 450, I got side swiped yesterday while on the way to a dr appt in the med center in Houston. Old women took off, I chased her down and got her info after refusing to pull over. Houston PD told me she doesn't have ins and would not be pursuing hit and run charges. She is out a $20 mirror and I'm out a new fender.

What a mess

Brett

Old 10-19-2017, 06:05 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Wait...why isn't the PD going to charge her with hit and run?

Old 10-19-2017, 06:42 AM
YouDon'tKnowMe
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would take it up with state police then if the locals won't do their job.

Investing in a dashcam would be a good idea too. A119 or A119s is a great choice, my A119 has been great. Always read out the plate so the mic pics it up just incase the camera didn't get a clear shot of the plate.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:08 PM
rustyshakelford
Elder User
Originally Posted by troverman
Wait...why isn't the PD going to charge her with hit and run?
Because Houston PD sucks. Since there wasn't any injuries or deaths, he told me it will go to the bottom of the list and never be dealt with. Apparently this happens multiple times everyday and the honest and legal drivers are the ones getting screwed over.

Originally Posted by YouDon'tKnowMe
I would take it up with state police then if the locals won't do their job.

Investing in a dashcam would be a good idea too. A119 or A119s is a great choice, my A119 has been great. Always read out the plate so the mic pics it up just incase the camera didn't get a clear shot of the plate.
I've been curious about a dash cam. My brother loves his and has helped many times. It's a shame we are at that point but sometimes it's nice to have video proof that will end a dispute.

Brett

Old 10-19-2017, 12:48 PM
bushpilot
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rustyshakelford
I've been curious about a dash cam. My brother loves his and has helped many times. It's a shame we are at that point but sometimes it's nice to have video proof that will end a dispute.
I installed a ThinkWare F770 top 1 of maybe 2 or 3 - w/ a 2 channel (rear) camera option....amazing clarity at 1080 and TOP of the rung Night vision.

My PRIMARY reason for purchase was the NIGHT time / low light clarity but I wanted something that protected/recorded in "parking" lot/mode too...someone hits me in a parking lot, I want to be able to go after them.

I added the (optional) 2nd channel rear/cam later - and it's paid off already (some stupid hit me at a light when I was towing a trailer).

Old 10-20-2017, 07:57 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Because Houston PD sucks. Since there wasn't any injuries or deaths, he told me it will go to the bottom of the list and never be dealt with. Apparently this happens multiple times everyday and the honest and legal drivers are the ones getting screwed over.
I would still report it - the law here is any accident with damage totaling $1k or more must be reported as a motor vehicle accident. That way the other person at least is on the record.

I don't fault the cops - they really are understaffed for all the bull they have to deal with, and so they have to prioritize. Texas ranks #2 in terms of welfare recipients in the country, behind only California. Guess what both have in common? Maybe some of that money should be diverted from welfare towards law enforcement...and that might actually lower welfare costs, lol.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:00 AM
rustyshakelford
Elder User
Originally Posted by troverman
I would still report it - the law here is any accident with damage totaling $1k or more must be reported as a motor vehicle accident. That way the other person at least is on the record.

I don't fault the cops - they really are understaffed for all the bull they have to deal with, and so they have to prioritize. Texas ranks #2 in terms of welfare recipients in the country, behind only California. Guess what both have in common? Maybe some of that money should be diverted from welfare towards law enforcement...and that might actually lower welfare costs, lol.
Talked to my buddy that is a dps trooper (state police) he was outraged at the hpd officers response and lack of action. He asked me to write a detailed email about the incident and it would be taken care of. Said there was no excuse and the cop was just being lazy

Brett

Old 10-27-2017, 01:52 PM
rustyshakelford
Elder User
Got the buggy set up. Ready for spring to start spraying. By that time I should be pretty familiar with the gps.

Brett

Attached Images       
Old 10-27-2017, 04:51 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Someone tried to force their way into my lane. Fortunately my F450 front hubs stick out past my fender. It took almost 60 seconds for me to remove their paint off my front hub lugnut bumps. Not even a minor scratch on my truck or hubs.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:02 PM
rustyshakelford
Elder User
Originally Posted by 2009kr
Someone tried to force their way into my lane. Fortunately my F450 front hubs stick out past my fender. It took almost 60 seconds for me to remove their paint off my front hub lugnut bumps. Not even a minor scratch on my truck or hubs.
That's awesome. Be glad they didn't target your rear fenders! It'll get ya for about $1500

Brett

Old 10-27-2017, 09:20 PM
Stalwart
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
That's awesome. Be glad they didn't target your rear fenders! It'll get ya for about $1500

Brett
Wiith the 285’s, my tires stick out 1/2 past the fenders in the rear for SOME added protection. The front they get to deal with the lugs of death, a spinning mayhem of hardened steel!

Quick Reply: Rustyshakelford's ordered F-450 and Tractor thread