2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Ready to Order - Final Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 09:08 PM
Greengas
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ready to Order - Final Questions

I'm getting very close to ordering my new F350 4x4 SRW Long Bed. I have some questions that I hope I can get addressed before I make the deal.

1. 3.31 or 3.55? I am going to be using the truck primarily to tow my 5th wheel trailer. It has a max weight of almost 16k. (and I know, many of you will say that a trailer that heavy should be pulled by a DRW but sorry, not going there. My SRW has been doing just fine) With the additional torque of the new 2017 is it worth the extra money to get the 3.55 or will the 3.31 do just fine? (I live near Denver so we will be doing lots of mountain driving)

2. I have the rapid heat supplemental heater in my current 2012 F350 and if it is helping to heat rapidly I'd sure hate to see what slow is. I'm thinking maybe there is something I am not doing to activate it or maybe its just a gimmick and not worth getting this time around. Thoughts? (my current truck was purchased off the lot so I did not have that much of a choice. This time, I'm ordering to get exactly what I want)

3. Tires. I'm going with 18's vs the 20's. Don't know how much of a height difference it will make but I know when I need to buy new ones the 18's should be cheaper. So, looking at their options, I know I want AT's but not sure if the "OWL" means white wall or not but I'm pretty confident that BSW is Black Side Wall. My bigger question is, am I missing something by not getting the 20's and by that I mean other than the pretty chrome wheels? Does it add to my towing ability more than the 18's?

4. I am not getting the chrome package. Seems like a lot of money for a prettier tail pipe, tow hooks and wheels. Again, thoughts?

5. I'm getting the 5th wheel and goose neck prep but I'm going to buy my own hitch. It might be a goose neck so thoughts on spending the extra $250 for the goose neck hitch? Going goose neck (Anderson hitch actually) is new to me so I don't know if I can get the parts cheaper myself.

6. Real Wheel Liner. Worthwhile $180.00 option or just unnecessary bling?

7. The truck comes with real mud flaps and ford wants $130 for front ones. Pretty sure I can beat that but is this a case of stock is better?

8. Last but not least, Stowable Ramps. I have not had a need yet but I do own a pretty heavy snow blower and lifting it up into the bed would be a nightmare. I've looked for postings in the forum on these ramps but can't find any.

Overall, I'm trading in my 2012 to take advantage of all the new safety features in the 2017 along with the extra HP and torque. I'm excited about taking the plunge I just want to make sure that I'm being as smart as possible. Thanks in advance for all the guidance, recommendations, and very likely snarky comments (all in good fun) that I'm sure will be coming my way.

Ronn G

Old 11-07-2016, 11:04 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,686 Likes on 2,747 Posts
Denver forum member here also. I absolutely went with the 3.55 gears due to mountain towing. I also went with the 18" wheels. 20's look better, 18's are less expensive. Depending on how you read the specs and how Ford interprets them the 20" wheels have a slightly higher cargo capacity.

I'm getting the 5th wheel prep even though I have a bumper pull toy hauler. Planning for the future.

No chrome package for me. The Lariat already has too much chrome for my taste.

I did get the wheel well liners and the mud flaps. I don't want to be modifying my new truck. I want it ready to tow.

The ramps looks interesting but when I saw where the ramps were stowed I said no way. I have a trifold ramp for my Honda HS928TAS snow blower that will work just fine.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:15 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
1. 3.55 axle no question when towing is planned.
3. If you order 20's it automatically comes with 3.55. I wish 3.73's were available for 6.7 buyers looking to tow. It would be a better option.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:21 PM
gotroxs
Senior User
Originally Posted by Greengas
I'm getting very close to ordering my new F350 4x4 SRW Long Bed. I have some questions that I hope I can get addressed before I make the deal.

1. 3.31 or 3.55? I am going to be using the truck primarily to tow my 5th wheel trailer. It has a max weight of almost 16k. (and I know, many of you will say that a trailer that heavy should be pulled by a DRW but sorry, not going there. My SRW has been doing just fine) With the additional torque of the new 2017 is it worth the extra money to get the 3.55 or will the 3.31 do just fine? (I live near Denver so we will be doing lots of mountain driving)

2. I have the rapid heat supplemental heater in my current 2012 F350 and if it is helping to heat rapidly I'd sure hate to see what slow is. I'm thinking maybe there is something I am not doing to activate it or maybe its just a gimmick and not worth getting this time around. Thoughts? (my current truck was purchased off the lot so I did not have that much of a choice. This time, I'm ordering to get exactly what I want)

3. Tires. I'm going with 18's vs the 20's. Don't know how much of a height difference it will make but I know when I need to buy new ones the 18's should be cheaper. So, looking at their options, I know I want AT's but not sure if the "OWL" means white wall or not but I'm pretty confident that BSW is Black Side Wall. My bigger question is, am I missing something by not getting the 20's and by that I mean other than the pretty chrome wheels? Does it add to my towing ability more than the 18's?

4. I am not getting the chrome package. Seems like a lot of money for a prettier tail pipe, tow hooks and wheels. Again, thoughts?

5. I'm getting the 5th wheel and goose neck prep but I'm going to buy my own hitch. It might be a goose neck so thoughts on spending the extra $250 for the goose neck hitch? Going goose neck (Anderson hitch actually) is new to me so I don't know if I can get the parts cheaper myself.

7. The truck comes with real mud flaps and ford wants $130 for front ones. Pretty sure I can beat that but is this a case of stock is better?

8. Last but not least, Stowable Ramps. I have not had a need yet but I do own a pretty heavy snow blower and lifting it up into the bed would be a nightmare. I've looked for postings in the forum on these ramps but can't find any.

Overall, I'm trading in my 2012 to take advantage of all the new safety features in the 2017 along with the extra HP and torque. I'm excited about taking the plunge I just want to make sure that I'm being as smart as possible. Thanks in advance for all the guidance, recommendations, and very likely snarky comments (all in good fun) that I'm sure will be coming my way.

Ronn G
Just MHO, but I am going to 4.1 gears over the 3.73 that I have now for towing. My 5th wheel is about 15k and I drive through mountains in AZ all the time and just want the extra gearing. Your in Denver, I heard they have some hills there.

Alot of guys here swear by the supplemental heater. There was a thread about it not long ago.

I am doing a nearly maxed KR but I left the chrome off. It's all about preference and I preferred not for $1k especially since on the KR DRW, it's only mirror caps, tow hooks and bumpers. Wheels are what they are on DRW. I prefer the painted bumpers of the KR.

My understanding is the stowable ramps are not available with 5th wheel prep because they would block the wiring connector.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:05 AM
jsduty
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are correct about the BSW& OWL some guys like the white lettering on the side walls others like black.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:29 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
Ronn, my thoughts in bolt. Congrats on the order. You can't go wrong with a 2017 no matter what you choose on options!

Originally Posted by Greengas

3.55's for sure when you plan on towing frequently. The MPG hit will be small but the help in the Mountains will be appreciated.

Your complaint is a common one. About 50% of owners said they can't tell if the heater is doing anything. The other 50% (which I luckily fall into) feel instant heat on startup. I've been reading the complaints since I got mine in 2012 and could never figure out what the difference was between those who it worked great for and those who it didn't. That said, I'm ordering it again on my 17 and am hoping I don't switch camps!

The height difference between the two is 1". So the trucks height difference would only be 1/2". I like the looks of the 20's better, they do have a higher rating (3750 per vs. 3640#), but I'm getting a Lariat with the aluminum/magnetic 20's. I'm not a fan of the chrome ones. I also don't like OWL but they can easily be turned inside out if you prefer BSW. One thing to remember about the 20's is they prevent the camper package from being ordered. So, I'll have to add the sway bar on delivery. It's cheap and easy but a consideration I thought I'd mention.

I agree. I'm not a fan of the chrome package. I'm not knocking those who do like it though. Looks are subjective and choice is a good thing...

The OEM GN ball is a Reese Elite sold through Ford. So, yes, you can usually buy it cheaper through an internet dealer like etrailer, Amazon, etc.

Very good option to add. There are tons of guys who ordered them afterward and had to install. They keep a lot of the road filth from building up in the seams under your bed and give it a much more finished look. $180 very well spent IMO.

On the previous gen SRW trucks, the OEM flaps were too small/short and aftermarket were the way to go. The new ones are very nice though and worth getting from the factory. Again, IMO...

They are very nice but a bit pricey if you don't use them all the time. If you think you will use them frequently, go for it. I wouldn't so I'll stick to my old 2X8's with Rampart aluminum transition ends that I've had since the 90's... Like most things, how often you use them dictates value.

Ronn G

Old 11-08-2016, 07:31 AM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As far as #6 you can order the part for the rear wheel well liner from the dealer for $136.00 and the snap in place, very easy diy and cheaper.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:54 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I do believe mud flaps are required if you want the liners, so one decision may well decide the other for you. For rapid heater, just to make sure, you know it's just supposed to heat the cabin right? The engine itself won't heat up any faster. It wouldn't surprise me to see folks waiting to see the temp rise to pump the heat and engage the supplemental heater. Many options go unused for the life of a vehicle these days!

Old 11-08-2016, 11:39 AM
Robmiezer
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Towing that much you need at min the 3.55 rear
I went with 18's, the camper package, and AT tires to get higher rear axel rating (same as 20's just more sidewall) But, it is a personal preference, both will work.
bed ramps are not available with 5th wheel prep, so you can mark that off (ramp blocks the 5er plug).
I did not go chrome either and love the color matching handles, mirror cap, and black hooks.

Just order and enjoy the ride...

Old 11-08-2016, 11:42 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,198 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Robmiezer
Towing that much you need at min the 3.55 rear
I went with 18's, the camper package, and AT tires to get higher rear axel rating (same as 20's just more sidewall) But, it is a personal preference, both will work.
bed ramps are not available with 5th wheel prep, so you can mark that off (ramp blocks the 5er plug).
I did not go chrome either and love the color matching handles, mirror cap, and black hooks.

Just order and enjoy the ride...

That's a good point. The AS tires are slightly smaller and de-rate the axle. Make sure you go AT with whatever option you choose.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:10 PM
nullop
Senior User
Originally Posted by gotroxs

My understanding is the stowable ramps are not available with 5th wheel prep because they would block the wiring connector.
I got 5th wheel prep and hitch kits and was able to order the ramps. Truck was built yesterday, guess we will see if they actually show up on the truck!

Old 11-25-2016, 07:40 PM
Mgjfam
Senior User

I ordered mine with both Rear Wheel Liner and Mud Flaps (both for the same reason). There is a plastic front wheel liner...so why would I want rocks and crud hitting unprotected painted metal? ....that would knock the paint off the metal/aluminum liner....sure it won't rust, but it can't be good with missing paint.

Mud flaps keep mud and rocks from knocking paint off of the exterior surfaces.

That $130 gets you both the front and rear mud flaps.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:47 PM
coolidge54
Elder User
Originally Posted by RainDesert
1. 3.55 axle no question when towing is planned.
3. If you order 20's it automatically comes with 3.55. I wish 3.73's were available for 6.7 buyers looking to tow. It would be a better option.

The engine is a beast, for the 5th wheel/gooseneck rated 18k lbs max are they really needed?

Old 11-25-2016, 07:54 PM
coolidge54
Elder User
I have the Ford front/rear mud flaps, this truck still needs fender flares on top of that it flings crud all down the side of the truck. I have the 20 inch wheels with the AT Michelin tires.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:28 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nullop
I got 5th wheel prep and hitch kits and was able to order the ramps. Truck was built yesterday, guess we will see if they actually show up on the truck!
I saw a truck at my dealer with the not only the fifth wheel prep, it had the fifth wheel hitch and the ramps. No problem with both.