Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

2002 Ford Sports Trac/ Won't Start

Old 11-07-2016, 12:24 PM
Mac Palmer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Ford Sports Trac/ Won't Start

I've got a 2002 Ford Sports Trac that won't start ! It will crank till battery dies but is not getting fuel. I have had it towed 4 times in the past year. of the 4 times,this last time it wont start. Every time that I have had it towed back to my house and dropped in the driveway it has started up with no problems. It will run for a few months or more.This last time it would not.
Could this be an electrical problem.Maybe loose ground somewhere or something else. Would like to rule out some things before investing in a fuel filter or fuel pump. Would hate to buy new FuelPump and that not be the problem.
Can't find free wiring diaghrams for this issue. Any help or suggestions would be of any help.
Thank you for your time.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:06 PM
Mikeman
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Could be the dreaded fuel pump cutoff switch. It's located on the passenger side. Check your owner's manual for location. You could check for continuity across it with your DMM or just jumper it or reset to see if it makes any difference. Can you hear the fuel pump run when you first turn the key to ON (not start)? Have you measured pressure?

You could also try tapping the bottom of the fuel tank to see if that wakes up the fuel pump (assuming it's not running).

There are other possibilities, too, but it depends on what else is happening or not.

Old 11-09-2016, 10:03 AM
Mac Palmer
New User
Hello,
Thank you for your response.Was abit under the weather so to speak so I have not responded sooner.
About a month or so ago,I pulled into gas station to fill up. Same thing....No Start....A guy I knew from awhile back checked it out. No sound from the fuel pump at all.He checked the fuel switch.It had not tripped or switched off.He got a wire out of his car and did something to it. I guess he bypassed the switch. Anyway it started up with no problem. The truck has run with no problem.... That is until this past monday.
Based on that,it seems to me that it is the Fuel switch that has gone bad and not the fuel pump.That is just an observation.Have checked the fuse and relay switch.They are fine.
Basically just trying to rule out all possibilities before investing in a fuel pump.Would hate to invest in one and that not be the problem.
I have looked for the switch behind the kick panel and can't find the switch,based on what it looks like in the manual....
Have a limited buget right now so I am not buying a manual for the truck.Will do that later.Would like to find a wiring diaghram for the engine and the fuel system.Have had no luck finding either one for this truck,and what diagrams for it that I have found are too small to be readable or printable.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:40 PM
swshawaii
Freshman User
2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Owner Manual
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo.../02p27og4e.pdf

TSB & Wiring Diagram Database
BBB Industries - TSB's & Wiring Diagrams