Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

56 F100 Shortbed

Old 11-05-2016, 11:19 PM
TrussGod
Junior User
TrussGod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.TrussGod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
56 F100 Shortbed

Hello to all. I have been on this forum for a while now with a 89 Bronco II. I have since sold the BII and for a while I was absent.

I have been working on a project truck that is my Father In Law's for the last several months. He has had a '56 Ford F100 that he wanted to build for the last 25-30 years. Over the time it has been in and out of friends and family's hands to be worked on but has never been finished.

He had up to three of these trucks at one time so that he would have enough parts to be able to build one complete. He had sold one to get money to work on the final truck. One nephew he had working on it really screwed him over though and he only has the one now. The nephew ended up with a lot of the parts and one of the trucks.

The engine in it is 406 tri-power from a '63 Ford Galaxie 500. He owned one of these cars when he was younger, bought it brand new and raced it the next day, he loved the power that the motor had and knew that is what he wanted in the truck. Of course it is a rare engine since they only made them for a year and a half in '62 & '63 so it took him a while to find one. The motor was rebuilt about 10 years ago while the nephew was working on it, but due to the problems there, it has been sitting for a while.

I decided that my F.I.L. is not getting any younger (he turned 80 in April), doesn't drive any longer, can't work on the truck himself and can't find anyone to do the work (has had a couple of people work on it in the last 10 years without any serious progress). So I decided to work on getting it completed before he isn't with us any longer. Over the last 6 months I have put on some panels in the engine area, added the ignition system, completed the wiring under dash and engine bay, gotten exhaust system installed, filled all fluids (engine, trans and diff), and as of September 11th, gotten the engine running!!

I have since installed the seat and driveshaft. This got it to the point that we could drive it, sorta.... mostly on and off the trailer to move it around at first. My F.I.L. is really into going to the local car shows and has been telling everyone he knows, which is a lot of people, about his truck. There are a lot of Work In Progress vehicles always there, and while his is VERY much W.I.P. we were able to take it to the local gathering, that is somewhat impromptu on Tuesday nights, to show off the work. We ended up with quite a crowd.

I will start a build thread and put in some pictures soon.

Old 11-05-2016, 11:43 PM
mOROTBREATH
Posting Guru
mOROTBREATH has a great reputation on FTE.mOROTBREATH has a great reputation on FTE.mOROTBREATH has a great reputation on FTE.mOROTBREATH has a great reputation on FTE.
Can't wait for pictures, and vintage pictures from long ago are ALWAYS very much welcomed, indeed!

Welcome to the older side of the forums, ad make yourself at home.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:47 AM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
bjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant future
Stay on it TrussGod. I had always hoped to get our family 56 done for it's 2nd owner My Step Dad but life got in the way and now he's passed. My son picked up the torch but now he also has passed. Ya never know how much time you have in this ole world. Now I am building it for me. Hope I make it

Old 11-06-2016, 12:13 PM
TrussGod
Junior User
TrussGod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.TrussGod is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Here are a a few photos.

This is one of my Father-in-Law when he was much younger and one of the few 56 pickups he has owned.

Name:  2016-11-06_1040.png
Views: 466
Size:  230.3 KB

This is one of the ones he has had since I have known him. Not sure if it is the one that we currently have or not, in part it could be.

Name:  2016-11-06_1037.png
Views: 464
Size:  398.3 KB

This is the current truck, as of last weekend. Got the license plate on it.

Name:  2016-10-29 16.11.13.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  981.0 KB

I will try to put more in a build thread. Unfortunately we don't have a lot of photos. Haven't always been on top of it to get them as progress went along. I am going to try to be more on it though.

Old 11-06-2016, 12:26 PM
BlueOvalRage
Postmaster
BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a great reputation on FTE.
I love it! The right truck for the right reason with a seriously cool power plant!

I worked on a lot of my dads projects with him and we mostly managed to tear lots of stuff apart and complete very little - mostly due to my own projects and inability to focus. Now that he's been gone for a couple years, I can't begin to describe the regret I feel for not buckling down and finishing his toys with him so he could enjoy them while he was still here.

Take my advice - drop whatever you possibly can without risking divorce and finish that truck. Put every possible waking minute into it. The fish and the deer will wait. The boys will always be willing to play poker later. Whatever your pastime is, set it aside for a bit. You won't regret it later when he's gone. I promise.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:26 PM
bjmayberry2
Postmaster
bjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant futurebjmayberry2 has a brilliant future
Great pictures & nice truck now!

Old 11-07-2016, 02:27 PM
The Outlaw
Senior User
The Outlaw is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Great looking truck and story!

Are those the billet hinges on the truck? if so please do a write up on them!

Old 11-07-2016, 02:30 PM
laxfan93
New User
laxfan93 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looking for drip rail trim and radio for 56 f100
thanks for any tips

Old 11-07-2016, 02:35 PM
TrussGod
Junior User
The hinges are either steel chromed or stainless steel. Not sure, they were on the truck already by the time I got to it. I think they are stainless myself though.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:38 PM
TrussGod
Junior User
I told my father-in-law that we need a picture of him in front of the current truck that looks like the first one here. He had some choice words a basically said no.....

Old 12-30-2016, 01:03 PM
TrussGod
Junior User
I have a build thread going now. Link in the signature.