Notices

outside porch light-bulb replacement

Old 11-05-2016, 06:26 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
outside porch light-bulb replacement

So the amber bulb burnt out on the light above the door. It is a dual light. Switch for amber and then on the control panel a switch for the flood light. Four screws are suppose to hold the lens on. I took them off and tried to remove the lens but could not get it to come off. I then though maybe the silicon around the fixture needed to be cut but I didn't get anywhere with that either. Was afraid I'd break it. Any tips? Attach is a pic, forgot to get one but maybe you can zoom in and see the light enough to solve the riddle.

Old 11-05-2016, 07:29 PM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
Plenty of chatter on the Internet as to how hard it is to get the lens off and no special advice. It is caulked into place?

Steve

Old 11-05-2016, 07:50 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
On a couple of mine I used a small screwdriver wedged between the lens and fixture to give me some leverage.

Old 11-05-2016, 08:00 PM
scraprat
Postmaster
scraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant future
Mine was held on with the Butyl Putty, besides the screws. I actually replaced mine with one that had a switch on the bottom of it so not to attract bugs when all I needed was the one by the step. If I wanted more light by the door just flip the switch on the light.

Old 11-05-2016, 08:37 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Oh boy, I did try to pry it loose. I guess I was on the right track. Better make sure I have a replacement before I attempt again as I will probably break it then.

It is caulked into place.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:38 AM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
My favorite pry tool is wide blade Buck knife. The blade gets in places a screw driver blade can't and it is strong so it doesn't break easily. Also cheap.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:41 AM
senix
Think I will attempt again after I locate a replacement just in case.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:40 AM
sloate9471
Freshman User
sloate9471 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Where did you mount the fold switch?

Old 11-07-2016, 12:52 PM
scraprat
Postmaster
scraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant future
If your asking me this is the style of light that I changed to with the switch underneath and easy to get to from the door as you enter/ exit.

https://www.amazon.com/Peterson-Manu...Switch+-+Clear

Old 11-08-2016, 12:04 PM
senix

so I think I finally found the light that I currently have installed over the door.

Found it on ebay. Looks like I should just be able to slide a knife under and get it eventually come apart. At least I know what brand it is to replace the lens..or at least I think this it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Rv-Campe...lTa9rM&vxp=mtr

Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2016, 12:48 PM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
Just be gentle and all will be fine.

Steve