Sponsored by: DP Tuner

The 5K SS Bridgett project

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 02:28 AM
thepr1ck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 5K SS Bridgett project

Been I LONG time lurker. Lost OG screen name and login so this is a new one. Not the "blogging" type but I figured that now is as good as time as any to share my experience. Grab your popcorn and fav beverage (I am tossing back some Silver Bullets which will make more sense later). If you like reality show stuff this should keep your somewhat riveted.
Not my first rodeo with a 7.3 ... in fact this is my 5th 7.3. In the past (different screen name) I have been able to lurk in the background and get any and all info I needed (mad thanks to this community!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) ... so things are bit different now as I am MUCH more involved in the 7.3 world. I currently own 2 7.3 trucks ... the SS bridgett (explain that shortly), an E99 F250 XCab stroke and a 01 EX (wife's ride ... kinda) that are both 7.3 strokes.
First back story behind me (will keep it short)... I have a problem ... I buy vehicles. In the last 15 years I have bought over 80 (I am sick) cars and trucks and 10 bikes. I buy messes and make them into something cool if I can or use them for parts for other projects or as extra revenue. I drive German cars, Kawasaki bikes, and for hauling purposes something with a 7.3!
So 5k SS Bridgett ... E99 F250 Xcab Long Bed 4x4 7.3 6Spd purchased last (2015) winter for 5K. Left out of Central KY in between 2 snow storms headed for the HILLS of West VA to pick up said truck. Sellers said truck was in great shape and it was good to go. I am NO spring chicken so I fugured either this guy didn't know what he was talking about or was full of it (turns out to be both). Takes longer than expected to get there and show up in the dark ... we have VERY limited time to get out and get back home before the next storm hits. Price is cheap and truck is pretty solid so I roll out and was told truck is E99 with 01 motor, harness, and ecu (mostly true). make it out of the backwoods and go to accelerate onto interstate ... bucks, kicks, pisses, moans, fights, and any other descriptor you can thing of. Pull off at a truck stop ... oil 3-4 quarts low so I top it off in hopes issue would be resolved. Nope
Make it back the 5 hours to home. Not worried. Already figured it was and injector issue but thought I would make sure it was getting appropriate fuel and replaced fuel pump, hutch modded, and added Strictly Diesel filtration kit. Truck performs better but still isn't right. Will NOT start cold and ANYTHING over 1/2 accelerator and it bucks, kicks, sputters, and is just a pissed off b***h. No worries ... I can deal.
In the middle of this I am working nights on a wierd couple days on couple days off if I am lucky schedule, trying to finish up a 13 year remodel (to sell) that I live in with a wife and now 3 kids. Yeah absolute chaos.
I leave work after a really horrific night where Newtons law ruled and I made it 300' from the plant driveway when all of the sudden I had NO forward momentum. Truck idles in gear fine. Move my foot to accelerator and it sounds like bolts in a can. CRAP. It is 7 AM and all I want to do is get some sleep. Hour and a half later the Hook shows up to haul my BOAT (bust out another thousand ... thus SS Bridgett) to my shop (1000 sq ft building 20 minutes from my house). Have to call the wife (DOH) to get the kiddos up and come down to the shop and get me.
So I start to figure out what is BEST things to do. Figure clutch let go. Know oil pan is bad on motor, know injectors are crap ... MOTOR SWAP. Yeah fixes issues. Start searching. Find guy who parts these trucks and has a deal on a motor out of his personal truck for me. SWEET! been gone through ... low mile heads, block good, HPOP swapped last year, rebuilt injectors, etc, etc, etc. Hey I don't have time, space, or gear to swap (I have tons of tools as I have built tons of cars and bikes ... My hoist won't lift high enough to get motor out of the truck ... oops ... truck is lifted 6" ).
Hire guy to swap motor, clutch, and fix some other issues. He FAILS MISERABLY. 3 MONTHS later i get my truck back. Runs. But smokes blue if you even touch accelerator. Mind you I was told motor was good! Guy says either bad injector Orings or injector/s dropped. Whole S**T storm ensues and I FINALLY get my truck back last week ... doesn't run worth a darn but I have it back....
Been tearing into it for the last couple days .... water ONLY in cooling system .. well and crap tons of rust scale. Injectors are crap (only reason I bought his motor to be honest). His "mechanic" (who put straight water in the previous truck thats now in my truck) was supposed to know ALL about 7.3's.
So I have some pics and they will be added as I have time ... Selling house, working, have kids, have other projects going ....
Moral of the story kids .. IF YOU CAN DO IT YOURSELF .... DO IT.