2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

How hard would it be to add another alternator

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 04:08 PM
WolfFox
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How hard would it be to add another alternator

I just realized that the 350 DRW 4x4 Lariat Ulitaie Package, tow tech bundle...own the sticker it says Extra Heavy Duty Alternator, but own the dealer site under all the additional options it has ...
HD 200 Amp Alternator...
I'm guessing I;m only getting one alternator. How hard would it be to add abother HD 200 Amp Alternator. Thanks

Old 10-31-2016, 04:19 PM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WolfFox
I just realized that the 350 DRW 4x4 Lariat Ulitaie Package, tow tech bundle...own the sticker it says Extra Heavy Duty Alternator, but own the dealer site under all the additional options it has ...
HD 200 Amp Alternator...
I'm guessing I;m only getting one alternator. How hard would it be to add abother HD 200 Amp Alternator. Thanks
Buy one with dual alternators.

Old 10-31-2016, 04:30 PM
WolfFox
Senior User
Originally Posted by AK_SuperDuty
Buy one with dual alternators.
They didn't have anymore with what I need on it. I put down $500.00 to hold it for me and just realized the alternator issue. They gave me a great price too. Better than anyone else. It should be in 11/11/16. I wonder if they can get me a truck from another dealer,

Old 10-31-2016, 04:31 PM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
They didn't have anymore with what I need on it. I put down $500.00 to hold it for me and just realized the alternator issue. They gave me a great price too. Better than anyone else. It should be in 11/11/16. I wonder if they can get me a truck from another dealer,
Tell them it's a deal breaker. Up in Alaska where I'm at, you can't get the diesel without dual alternators unless you buy it down in warm states and drive it up.

Old 10-31-2016, 04:34 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Confirm the alternator as well. It wouldn't be the first time a dealership website didn't pull all the info properly from a VIN.

Old 10-31-2016, 04:56 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Who cares about the second alternator. A 200A alternator is way more juice than you'll really ever need. You're probably getting a 220A alternator anyway. A second alternator actually slightly reduces engine horsepower and fuel economy. My previous two diesels only had one alternator and they did totally fine. The last one was a 2016 King Ranch. This new 2017 has two because they came free due to options ordered. The second alternator is actually the base alternator in all cases at 157A.

Old 10-31-2016, 05:00 PM
WolfFox
Senior User
Originally Posted by Frantz
Confirm the alternator as well. It wouldn't be the first time a dealership website didn't pull all the info properly from a VIN.
Yeah, you have a point. When I go on ford site to build the truck, it says... Dual Alternators are standard on Super Duty models with 6.7L Power Stroke® Diesel engine.

I will call the dealer tomorrow and confirm. It would be interesting to know though how hard it would be to add an extra on if you truck cam with only one.

Old 10-31-2016, 05:05 PM
WolfFox
Senior User
Originally Posted by troverman
Who cares about the second alternator. A 200A alternator is way more juice than you'll really ever need. You're probably getting a 220A alternator anyway. A second alternator actually slightly reduces engine horsepower and fuel economy. My previous two diesels only had one alternator and they did totally fine. The last one was a 2016 King Ranch. This new 2017 has two because they came free due to options ordered. The second alternator is actually the base alternator in all cases at 157A.
My concern is that I will be pulling a 40 ft 5th wheel, that will have two batters with an inverter to run the residential refrigerator and I want to make sure I have enough to charge those batteries with all the gadgets on the truck.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:20 PM
skanj0
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
My concern is that I will be pulling a 40 ft 5th wheel, that will have two batters with an inverter to run the residential refrigerator and I want to make sure I have enough to charge those batteries with all the gadgets on the truck.
You are wise to want a dual alternator equipped truck for the setup you have. The ford OEM alternators typically produce about 50% of what they are rated for, and it goes down from there with increased temps. My 06 came with Dual Alts and I replaced the upper with a DC Power 190a and the lower with a DB Electric 220a unit. I connected the lower alt to a dedicated 100a high amp charging circuit for my truck camper, and the upper powers the truck itself. I do have a battery switch I can use to either tie together or separate the two alts, and well as mega fuses protecting both circuits.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:39 PM
Jerry Weigel
Cross-Country
Should come with dual

I believe all diesels come with dual. There is a HD dual option that should come with either the upfitter switches or the axillary cab heat. All northern states the axillary heat is standard thus the HD dual is standard.

jjw
ND

Old 10-31-2016, 07:50 PM
DingusKhan
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it has the auxiliary cab heater then it has two HIGH output alternators totaling 377Amps. At a $250 option that's another reason to get it, besides living at 4350 ft elevation.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:36 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DingusKhan
If it has the auxiliary cab heater then it has two HIGH output alternators totaling 377Amps. At a $250 option that's another reason to get it, besides living at 4350 ft elevation.
Actually that option is one standard 157 A alternator and heavy duty 220 A alternator = 377A. Note the description does not have an "s" and the sum of the amps is for a standard and a heavy duty.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:47 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by skanj0
The ford OEM alternators typically produce about 50% of what they are rated for, and it goes down from there with increased temps.
This, I agree with completely. The peak output is under totally ideal conditions including the alternator just starting up from cold and higher RPM. At idle in hot weather with a hot engine, you are right...they drop a lot.

Hate to admit it, but European alternator technology is superior to ours...they are liquid cooling the Bosch alternators, they use ducted air, etc.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:06 AM
troverman
Hotshot
I understand. My question is, what is the total amperage that can be transferred through the trailer plug? The owner's manual states the trailer charge circuit is only 30A. If that is the case, a 220-amp single alternator should easily be able to power everything in the truck while still sending maximum charge to the trailer.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:56 AM
skanj0
More Turbo
Originally Posted by troverman
I understand. My question is, what is the total amperage that can be transferred through the trailer plug? The owner's manual states the trailer charge circuit is only 30A. If that is the case, a 220-amp single alternator should easily be able to power everything in the truck while still sending maximum charge to the trailer.
We dont know that the OP intends to charge his trailer via the 7-pin trailer connector. There are a couple of different ways to accomplish a high amp charging circuit that does not utilize the 7-pin plug. I used a 100a semi trailer electic liftgate charging cord and corresponding receptacles to connect my truck and camper. Cord detaches from both when the camper is not in use. Power comes from the engine compartment via #2 copper welding cable protected by 100a MRCB circut breakers on truck and camper ends.

Quick Reply: How hard would it be to add another alternator