Four Door Bronco Build Thread - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Four Door Bronco Build Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 11:32 AM
Senior User

Azryael is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm going to get around to mine eventually after getting the rest of what I need; turns out 6.9s are so uncommon here (or they're still all running and no one wants to sell/part them out) that I'll have to grab a gasser core support and simply modify it.

Not a big deal; would have preferred factory welds and what not, but I trust my welding capabilities too.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:49 PM
Elder User

1985 Bronco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Did some minor stuff to it. Sand blasted and painted the grille mounts, and my wiper arms. It's the little details that make a truck look nice.

Also went out and took a few nice pictures

Old 07-25-2017, 04:59 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azryael View Post
I'm going to get around to mine eventually after getting the rest of what I need; turns out 6.9s are so uncommon here (or they're still all running and no one wants to sell/part them out) that I'll have to grab a gasser core support and simply modify it.

Not a big deal; would have preferred factory welds and what not, but I trust my welding capabilities too.
The 80s and 90s core supports are very similar. You could just weld in the headlight section from a bullnose, and you wouldn't have to find a 6.9 one or even need to pull the core support off the truck. Then you wouldn't have to mess with all the mounting hardware, or align it.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:14 PM
Senior User

Hmm, that would certainly make things much easier!

I'd probably look for a way to semi-permanently fasten the headlight deal so I can take it off if I ever wanted to switch back (not sure why I would, but you never know). Then again, 7.3 core supports for '92+ trucks are all around.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:36 PM
Elder User

Well, it is for sale. I found a 96 F250 with a Cummins swap and Super Duty axles that I would like to buy. PM me for more info if you are interested
Old 08-09-2017, 07:55 PM
Elder User

Here is my for sale post in the Marketplace

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post17385774
Old 09-11-2017, 10:35 PM
New User

Daryl4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 Bronco View Post
Well, it is for sale. I found a 96 F250 with a Cummins swap and Super Duty axles that I would like to buy. PM me for more info if you are interested
I'm sorry to see you give up on it. I've read your thread over on FourDoorBronco and just found it here, and with more recent activity to boot. Are you saying you found a 96 F250 Four Door Bronco with a Cummins?

FWIW I finnnally found and bought a C350 with an IDI. Wicked happy, all I do now is fix it up, lol.

I to prefer the "bullnose" style, have a fair amount of the typical Centurion rust, and want to add the second tank, mine doesn't have it. So I've been very interested in your progress and would love to pick your brain.

Quote:

Those are hook style arms, I've only ever seen pin style, where'd you get those?

Quote:
The 80s and 90s core supports are very similar. You could just weld in the headlight section from a bullnose, and you wouldn't have to find a 6.9 one or even need to pull the core support off the truck. Then you wouldn't have to mess with all the mounting hardware, or align it.
That is some excellent advice I'll have to keep in mind if I ever get around to a bullnose swap on mine.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:25 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl4 View Post
That is some excellent advice I'll have to keep in mind if I ever get around to a bullnose swap on mine.
How would the fenders line up with the later core though? And what about the hood release?

I wonder if you could then fabricate brackets for the headlights so everything could theoretically be reversible instead of welding.

I wish I had parts to work with! Life has kept me from working on my own front clip swap.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:04 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azryael View Post
How would the fenders line up with the later core though? And what about the hood release?

I wonder if you could then fabricate brackets for the headlights so everything could theoretically be reversible instead of welding.
I can't say for sure, I haven't done that swap. I have put a 92+ on a 90, and used the 90 core. I gather the assumption is that the hood latch mounting is the same. Also the fenders don't directly bolt to the core. They bolt to a plate and bracket that then bolts to the core. So as long as the 80-86 plate and brakets attaches your good.

Don't know that either, really anything is doable. Personally I really want 4 headlights and if I do a clip swap I'll also be finding a way to do that. Kinda thinking I may eeeek, put on chevy parts. 88-93 Chevys used pairs of staggered small rectangle sealed beams that I think would work well and look good.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:33 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl4 View Post
I'm sorry to see you give up on it. I've read your thread over on FourDoorBronco and just found it here, and with more recent activity to boot. Are you saying you found a 96 F250 Four Door Bronco with a Cummins?

Those are hook style arms, I've only ever seen pin style, where'd you get those?
No, sadly it's just a normal F250. I still trying to buy the thing, but I haven't had any bites on the Centurion yet. The hook style arms were available on 92-96s. They are a direct swap if you want to put them on yours.

I need to update my build threads, I've done a bunch of stuff recently.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:27 PM
New User

Quote:
I haven't had any bites on the Centurion yet.
They appear rather hard to sell, I haven't seen many that sell fast. Not enough people know what they are and for those that do they can't swing the premium they carry. Sadly a lot of great unique vehicles are like that.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:19 PM
Elder User

It's been a while since I updated this thread. I finally fixed the bumper mounts! It is kinda hard to tell, but before the bumper stuck out about 4 inches from the body, and sagged a lot. I chopped off the frame horns.

Bent up some new brackets (back one has an extra hole drilled)

Then bolted the bumper on!

Fits nice and tight against the body, and looks like it's in the stock location. I didn't have a bullnose to compare it to, but it looks right.

And then 2 days later I bought a smoothie chrome bumper without the impact strips, and unbolted everything, and put that bumper on, because I like the look of this one so much better!

Next up was the ugly passenger fender. It was a tan rusty one from the 84 parts truck, and looked terrible. Off with the old...

...And on with the new!

Still needs a pinstripe. Also swapped in my other core support bushing mount while I had the fender off. I was missing one when I did the front clip swap, and just used a bunch of washers.

Also swapped in a upgraded headlight harness from JGB. The headlights are much brighter, but I think I got a bad relay from them, because my high beams quit working. I have not had time to diagnose it yet.

I changed the plugs and wires, replaced my gear selector cable, and took it on a camping trip up to a mud bog with my bullnose pick up bed camper trailer. I picked up the topper a while ago for free, but I couldn't find a decent tailgate. I ended up buying a beat up one from a 94, 2 days before I had to leave, and made it work.