Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shady Craigslist bumper -OR- How Apoc and Twitch tricked everyone into thinking they were hard-core"

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 11:30 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Shady Craigslist bumper -OR- How Apoc and Twitch tricked everyone into thinking they were hard-core"

So Twitch and I went to Atlanta (Summerville to be exact) tonight to pick up this bumper (http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/pts/5842560548.html) that was found on Craigs List by Mecdac a week or so ago. We both have been texting the guy back and forth over the last week and things have become stranger and stranger and tonight it came to a climax. I'm posting a breakdown of what all has happened on my end so far this week now and after Twitch finds a place to park us for the night, gets the trailer set-up and gets the video of the meeting loaded (my phone was dead, plus he stayed in the truck with the weapon) onto his laptop and the language edited he will post up his end. It's been a fun day of driving, and a wicked night of CL encounters but all in all I wouldn't ever want anyone having my back but Twitch!!

Original ad:

Text messages from the guy:

Old 10-30-2016, 11:45 PM
CharlyG
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
They seem friendly enough...

Old 10-31-2016, 12:31 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Old 10-31-2016, 01:28 AM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Here is the video. Sorry about the weird static sound, I guess I need to figure what the hell is going on with that. I tried to increase the volume in the video when the screaming started, but you can't make out much of what was said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXbi...ature=youtu.be

Old 10-31-2016, 06:35 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Reading the ad, I wouldn't have even gotten in touch with him. then after the texts, I definitely would've passed on it!

Old 10-31-2016, 06:57 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 Excursion camper
Reading the ad, I wouldn't have even gotten in touch with him. then after the texts, I definitely would've passed on it!
It was one of those cases where you want the deal to turn out fine even though you know it won't because of how great it seems. There was/is a bumper so that much was real, but who knows what the real story with everything was.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:02 AM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 1 Excursion camper
Yeah, I normally would have passed as well because it is knowingly puttung yourself in a bad situation. Our first plan was drive by first and if it looked bad, just keep driving. That obviously didn't happen.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:50 AM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
There is so many things in the ad and texts that make that appear shady it's crazy. Glad you guys got in and out safely.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:44 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
Glad you guys are safe this time. Guess you were seeking adventure.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:49 AM
CharlyG
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
MY rule on cl is I don't continue if there are any complications thrown in. I only do straightforward transactions, and if you start changing things or making it more difficult, I'll wait til the next guy comes along. And I don't like meeting buyers halfway distance wise. You want it, come and get it. I'm in LA, there are plenty of buyers.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:11 AM
Blakshukvw
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I think it's safe to say it didn't cost the seller a dime. The funniest part is she burned out probably scared because you were running away from her kinda scared. Damn funny. Good score though.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:44 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
You guys are hilarious.

She probably thought the swat team was going to pour out of that trailer.

I would like a transcript of what was said at the car before Apoc started running. That was probably the best part of the whole deal!

Old 10-31-2016, 11:19 AM
530ktmpilot
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard to understand exactly what happened from the video once you met face to face. Can you clarify what transpired? Did you get the bumper? Was there ever a bumper? Why did you take off running?

Old 10-31-2016, 11:45 AM
Romanova
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You seriously thought that this was going to end in a positive manner for you? How many red flags do you need? Honestly, it's like you're just begging to get robbed...

Glad nothing happened but come on man...

Old 10-31-2016, 12:05 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Yes there was a bumper and we got it. It is now in my trailer. We knew it was bad news bears from the beginning but we figured what the hell, we are already here. I honestly think if there was a disclaimer on the ad saying *when you get here, we will rob you and take your money and truck* we would have still went because I always like a challenge.

Quick Reply: Shady Craigslist bumper -OR- How Apoc and Twitch tricked everyone into thinking they were hard-core"