Mad Max Truck: updates and issues as we go along - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Mad Max Truck: updates and issues as we go along

Old 10-30-2016, 08:38 PM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
MojaveMuse is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mad Max Truck: updates and issues as we go along

Thanks for all who chimed in about the exhaust we will be doing, but naturally for a truck sitting neglected as long as it did and Hack Jobbed when it wasn't stuff is just outright wrong. I'll be sharing all the borked things done to it.

Todays Episode: Doing it right

as i'm sitting here, looking back on the day I wonder, how did this truck run semi-okay?!

something routine has turned upside down and i'm trying to unravel it.

Before we did the sparkplugs and wires today the truck would run ok then at the final two of the firing pattern almost Die then pick up again. better with pulling the choke out but not by a lot.

Mechanical fuel pump and in-line filter been replaced.

instead of just going plug and wire by plug and wire in whatever pattern it was firing in we do it right. mess with it all morning and afternoon to no end. put a better ignition coil on it as the Points have been converted but was running off the Original coil.

Realize we've been looking at my printed out firing order wrong, adjust.
Engine just groans, puffing air up through the carb. The Old Wrench (my Dad) thinks it's skipped time and why it won't go.

Stay tuned for the next Installment : That's not what Silicone is for

Old 10-30-2016, 08:46 PM
ultraranger
Post Fiend
ultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud of
If the engine picks up and runs better with the choke being pulled out (assuming the engine is up to temp when you have to do this), sounds like you may have a vacuum leak somewhere.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:07 PM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
in it's current state it's an exhaust leak with 4 tires. The Desert is good for preserving bodies from Rust but is brutal to rubber.

Old 10-31-2016, 02:19 AM
GaryKip
Postmaster
GaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to behold
Is the fuel tank clean? Did you check for old gas or water in it? Have you rebuilt the carb, or cleaned it out?

Old 10-31-2016, 09:08 AM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
Old tanks were varnished to hell, ate the rubber inside to a lovely sticky goop. In cab has been removed, frame rail one still there but disconnected. There is a new tank installed in the bed. Carb rebuilt.truck Started after the rain we had and degreasing the engine.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:24 PM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
Officially Retarded

It's official, the Mad Max Truck is Retarded by 1.

Explains why it was NOT starting after being all nice with new shiny bits.
sometime in it's life (only 50k miles) the Timing went off. instead of paying attention to how the wires were run we ran it as it -should- be. My fail for not noticing. two weekends fiddling and getting mad finally got it right. with new coil, starter and starter leads she fires Right up. Praise Lord Humungus.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:10 PM
JEFFFAFA
Post Fiend
JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by MojaveMuse View Post
It's official, the Mad Max Truck is Retarded by 1.

Explains why it was NOT starting after being all nice with new shiny bits.
sometime in it's life (only 50k miles) the Timing went off. instead of paying attention to how the wires were run we ran it as it -should- be. My fail for not noticing. two weekends fiddling and getting mad finally got it right. with new coil, starter and starter leads she fires Right up. Praise Lord Humungus.
Congrats! Glad to hear the Good news.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:28 PM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
Dropped the old gas tank as it's full of gunk. the old exhaust fell off once the brackets holding them up (and the bailing wire) was removed. Interestingly the truck is Maroon underneath.

next step is running a compression test as it's getting fuel on plugs 1&2, 3&4 not so much and completely dry on 5-8. the carburetor (Autolite) that my Dad rebuilt for us may just be junk. Stay tuned

Old 11-14-2016, 06:33 PM
JEFFFAFA
Post Fiend
JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.
Dropped the old gas tank as it's full of gunk. the old exhaust fell off once the brackets holding them up (and the bailing wire) was removed. Interestingly the truck is Maroon underneath.

next step is running a compression test as it's getting fuel on plugs 1&2, 3&4 not so much and completely dry on 5-8. the carburetor (Autolite) that my Dad rebuilt for us may just be junk. Stay tuned
Prolly not the carb. Each barrel of the carb does do 1/2 of the cylinders. But not all on the same side.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:28 PM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
ah, much to learn still.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:19 PM
JEFFFAFA
Post Fiend
ah, much to learn still.
Stick around Grasshappa.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:25 PM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
didn't float away

Made it out of the major storm alright. haven't checked out the truck to see how much water got inside as of yet. Bought a new-to-us carb as the one on it that we rebuilt likes to leak gas and that stuff can get expensive. there was no ID tag on it so I got to play carburetor sleuth. nothing fancy it's a Motorcraft/ Autolite 2100 (1.23 8A-AN) that I'm hoping will be ok as it was pulled off another 390 may pay him to rebuild it as DH doesn't much have the time right now.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:12 PM
JEFFFAFA
Post Fiend
Made it out of the major storm alright. haven't checked out the truck to see how much water got inside as of yet. Bought a new-to-us carb as the one on it that we rebuilt likes to leak gas and that stuff can get expensive. there was no ID tag on it so I got to play carburetor sleuth. nothing fancy it's a Motorcraft/ Autolite 2100 (1.23 8A-AN) that I'm hoping will be ok as it was pulled off another 390 may pay him to rebuild it as DH doesn't much have the time right now.
Glad to see you pop back in. 2100's are easy. The exploded view on one looks worse than it really is. Just use a quality rebuild kit. Ford still supplies it. Part number D4AZ9A586A.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:49 PM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
we've just had our hands full as the holidays rolled through. We Desert folks aren't sure how to handle all this sky water. also been focused on projects for The Exxon Valdez but now that we've got a schedule hammered out we can try to make some time for The Truck to have it running and registered by September.

yeah I know the Exploded view always looks more terrible than actuality. Thanks for the Part Number that'll come in handy.

I'm not going away any time soon

Old 04-12-2017, 11:27 AM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
still sitting on that carb. makes a good paperweight ya know. hopefully can grab the kit for it sooner than later and have my Dad rebuild it as he's done a few in his day.
slated for this weekend is gaskets. either trans or oil pan or maybe both if we can budget refilling them after. check for glitter and all that stuff. and to replace the fan-of-death. it's got a fiberglass dry-rotted fan on it now and it feels a pretty sketchy.
we're probably going to can the elaborate exhaust as time is rare.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mad Max Truck: updates and issues as we go along

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.