Notices
1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Mad Max Truck: updates and issues as we go along

Old 12-28-2017, 11:21 AM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
MojaveMuse is starting off with a positive reputation.
and front Disk brakes already too. though unsure if factory ones or they were upgraded later.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:55 PM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
good work got done today, heads and intake are off and got our first shiny bit (an edelbrock 1806 carb) trying to decode the story this truck has to tell.

first heart-attack of the day happened today as well, saw chunks in the oil pan (oh crap) clean 'em up and they're...plastic. my Dad thinks had a neoprene timing gear that ate itself at some point. om nom nom.

looking at the heads and I don't think they're the ones that Ford stuck on there, Casting # C8AE-H which seems to be pointing toward 427 heads, very odd.

no lip in the cylinder walls, scraped lots of old cork gasket and silicone off, found two more casting marks on the block. and X in the intake Valley which research says Nickle content block and a 44 casting that I can't seem to find much about.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:38 PM
orich
Post Fiend
orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.
The C8AE-H head is the most common of all FE head castings. Used on all low performance applications in 1968 - 71

Once cleaned up all the cast flashing they make good heads to build up

Orich

Old 01-07-2018, 08:34 AM
orich
Post Fiend
orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.
One thing, I noticed is the way you have your red ign. coil mounted which looks to be a Blaster ll type. If it's a epoxy filled then it's ok having it mounted like that.

But if it's one of the oil filled Blaster ll then your user mileage of use is limited from it to become over heated and cause it to fail at any where along the road side.

The oil filled Blaster ll is suppose to be with the coil wire socket port it to be facing upwards vertical so that the wire winding inside remain covered with oil.

If you've had it on there for hundreds of miles with trouble free miles then it maybe at a sweet spot that's still keeping the winding inside covered with oil an get trouble free miles or yrs from it.

When a after market coil is used it's important to follow the instructions to a Tee that come with it.

Just a heads up on the blaster ll coil!

Old 01-10-2018, 02:02 PM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
thanks for the info. been scolded by others about it, when everything is cleaned up and put back together i'll be sure it's mounted right-side up. we got some surprise rain here in the desert (probably from power washing the gunk off) noticed some yellow oil pencil markings all over the engine once the layer of dust and oil was off.

*** in the intake valley, and D (a very fancy one that almost more looks like an oval) and 72 behind the flywheel. no log of a rebuild on the engine in the 'log' that's been written in the doorjam by the first owner. only timing chain after the nylon one shattered

Old 01-14-2018, 12:53 PM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
Dagnabbit, well looks like we lost out, now that the engine compartments been power washed out I can see the P/S pump that's gushed all over the place, it's a Bendix. I'm surprised since it's an E Vin serial truck(Nov 1968, San Jose) . but that little winged B is pretty telling.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:10 PM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
Top view
Numbers

Old 01-14-2018, 06:16 PM
fe390pc
Posting Guru
fe390pc has a good reputation on FTE.fe390pc has a good reputation on FTE.fe390pc has a good reputation on FTE.
Looks like a lot of work completed, and a lot more to do. If you are having the heads re-done you should look into having hardened exhaust seats installed.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:21 AM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
new snag.
got wiring harness on its way to upgrade the old gal to new fuses and de-tweaker it in general. went to order a complete headers-to-mufflers exhaust kit and as luck would have it it's not California Approved and they won't sell the kit to me. back to shopping.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:28 AM
MIKES 68 F100
Postmaster
MIKES 68 F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.MIKES 68 F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.MIKES 68 F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.
get back on phone , truck is pre 1974 no smog laws apply !

Old 02-27-2018, 11:29 AM
MIKES 68 F100
Postmaster
MIKES 68 F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.MIKES 68 F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.MIKES 68 F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.
you can get a universal fit kit and save some $$ too .
our trucks have a lot of room

Old 02-27-2018, 11:30 AM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
I know!

herein is what it says when I try to checkout

"It is illegal to install, sell or offer for sale any aftermarket part that alters or modifies the original design or performance of the motor vehicle pollution control system unless the part is exempted or has an Executive Order issued by the California Air Resources Board (also commonly referred to as the "EO" number). Installation of parts which are not CARB approved on a pollution-controlled vehicle in the State of California may result in the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) revoking the vehicle registration and certificate of ownership (title), refusing the transfer of registration, and/or the vehicle failing smog inspection. Law enforcement may cite you for the use of an illegal aftermarket part and seize your title and license plate.

1. 1965 or Older Vehicle. All the below items are being used on a vehicle made in or before the year 1965. Or, these items are for use in a specially constructed vehicle per California Senate Bill 100 (SB 100).

2. Non-Highway Vehicle. All the below items are being installed on a vehicle that will NEVER be used, or licensed, or registered for use upon a highway in the state of California.

3. 1966 or Newer Highway Vehicle. All the below items are being installed on a vehicle that IS licensed, or registered for use upon a highway in the state of California and was made in or after the year 1966.."

all I can gather is the Flowtech headers in the kit didn't jump through the hoops to get EO approval.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:57 AM
MIKES 68 F100
Postmaster
i got Flow techs on my 68,
who are you ordering from ?
Pretty sure I got mine from Jegs

Old 02-27-2018, 12:01 PM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
it's a kit from Summit. comes with Flowtech Headers 12540FLT, Thrush Turbo Mufflers and Dynomax Performance 89000 - Dynomax Universal Header Dual Exhaust Kits for under 400 bucks.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:56 PM
MIKES 68 F100
Postmaster
change vehicle id to 1965 f100 then check out .. lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mad Max Truck: updates and issues as we go along

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.