Mad Max Truck: updates and issues as we go along - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Mad Max Truck: updates and issues as we go along

Old 10-26-2017, 09:36 AM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
MojaveMuse is starting off with a positive reputation.
keen eye. stored it for my mom in law, now its off my property not taken any new pics of the truck in a while.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:04 AM
MIKES 68 F100
Postmaster
MIKES 68 F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.MIKES 68 F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.MIKES 68 F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have a 66

Lets see how good my eye is .
I would guess 1967 or 68 by width of hood and shape of fenders

Old 10-26-2017, 10:06 AM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
i think its actually smack in the middle but I don't fully remember as it wasn't my car lol

Old 10-26-2017, 03:22 PM
JEFFFAFA
Post Fiend
JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by MojaveMuse View Post
very true. and no way to be completely sure until you open it up to see. I'll talk with him about dropping it out and taking it to someone who can do all the difficult things (or willing to teach). especially as he has his heart set on going dually down the road I don't see a good reason to go through another axle halfway. of course i'm just brain vomiting right now.
Going dually down the road and a 5 lug F100 9" rear end don't match. Keep the D60 and swap out gears in it.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:51 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
willowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to all
Over the years, I've straightened up more messes than I can count because someone thought an engine "jumped time" I'm not sure where that idea ever spawned from but engines just don't generally do that.
Check the timing chain for wear and replace it if it's sloppy. Find top dead center/compression stroke and see where the rotor is pointing, my bet not to the #1 on the cap meaning some one got it stabbed wrong and just moved the plug wires over to correct for it.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:56 AM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
entirely possible, previous owner knew mechanics well, but was lazy and incredibly cheap so would always take the shoddier route to 'fix' something. when the engine gets pulled to do the freeze plugs it's quite likely we will re-time it to standard then be done with.

Old 12-25-2017, 05:51 PM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
work began, yay. Husband finally has some time off. Merry Christmas everyone.

got it moved onto the concrete pad, hood, grill, radiator and fan-o-death are all off. now to run the numbers and find out if it's a 69 Bendix PS or the other one (yay for half year changes) and find a suitable, low-cost replacement. Next Weekend, Junkyard Date (super romantic )

Old 12-25-2017, 05:59 PM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
just checked the Vin and it's E, so no Bendix. now to scour the forums about what next

Old 12-25-2017, 06:40 PM
lilorbie
Senior User
lilorbie is starting off with a positive reputation.
i have what i think is a funny story about the spark plug being off one. a boss i had years ago told me this about his neighbor. it seems that the neighbor was not a mech. any way shape or form. well the neighbor thinks that hisearly 60,s chevy station wagon with a straight 6 needs a tune up. so he pulls all of the wires off the plugs you can most likely see where this is going. any way he gets mad and goes over to my bosses house and sells the car for like $50.00 just to make it go away. they push it done the street to their house. his Dad gets out his Motors Repair manual, finds the firing order for a 6 cyl. chevy and about ten minutes later they have a running and driving car. so of course being the teenagers that they where they drive by the neighbors house and honk the horn. naturally he,s pissed. he told me all of his siblings learned to drive in that car. they drove the wheels off it.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:47 PM
MojaveMuse
Senior User

Even a 50 year old desert truck will eventually rust

Old 12-27-2017, 02:59 PM
MojaveMuse
Senior User

Trans Cooler, at some point mounted this way instead of behind the radiator

work smart not hard

Right in his mouth...

Hood off

Grill off, Death Fan still installed. beautiful Winter Morning

Untouched bolts

Old 12-27-2017, 05:45 PM
lilorbie
Senior User
lilorbie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mojave Muse that,s a pretty silck way to remove the hood. i will have to remember that when i pull the engine out of my 67 f-100.

Old 12-27-2017, 06:56 PM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
My husband gets all the credit for that one it worked great! we were then able to easily get hands on it and set it aside.

work went well today, diveshaft is dropped and waterpump and accessories are all off. ran into a snag though, the Flywheel bolt is stripped. anyone got tips to get it out?

Old 12-27-2017, 07:53 PM
MojaveMuse
Senior User

a better photo for how the trans cooler is mounted. definitely a post apocalyptic feel to this

Old 12-28-2017, 10:21 AM
fe390pc
Posting Guru
fe390pc has a good reputation on FTE.fe390pc has a good reputation on FTE.fe390pc has a good reputation on FTE.
Making good progress. Nice that you have Power brakes and steering on this rig.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mad Max Truck: updates and issues as we go along

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.