Notices
1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Mad Max Truck: updates and issues as we go along

Old 10-04-2018, 07:58 AM
orich
Post Fiend
orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.
The simple old way to bump the motor to get the air out of the engine block while adding coolant is leave one the heater hose off or loose an when coolant starts to come out your good to go.
If the thermostat don't have a hole you can also drill a small hole 1/8" or less just inward from the gasket flange an install it with the hole at 12:00 position..

PS newly rebuilt motors takes a good 1500-2000 miles depending how one drives for it to be fully broke in so it may have been the reason for over heating.
Orich

Old 10-25-2018, 09:59 AM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
MojaveMuse is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just won a C6AE-9425-G 4 barrel intake off the old Ebay for not too bad, 75$ + shipping. hoping that increases drivability and towing for the little camper

Old 10-25-2018, 10:07 AM
MIKES 68 F100
Postmaster
MIKES 68 F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.MIKES 68 F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.MIKES 68 F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.
How much did they charge for shipping ? Iron intake is like 80 lbs !!

Old 10-25-2018, 10:09 AM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
62$ about. yeah I know. time to wheel in the engine lift again lol

Old 10-25-2018, 12:48 PM
orich
Post Fiend
orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by MojaveMuse View Post
Just won a C6AE-9425-G 4 barrel intake off the old Ebay for not too bad, 75$ + shipping. hoping that increases drivability and towing for the little camper
That intake has the older style larger thermostat & housing.
The aluminum intake ended up with the gasket leaking after yrs of use.
The thin metal casting around the edge was the part of the problem..
Orich

Old 10-25-2018, 12:50 PM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
Thanks for the heads up on that.
still lots to learn

Old 01-31-2019, 10:29 AM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
That one nice warm weekend and all the grass in my yard had me fooled that winter was giving up, but took advantage of the nice weather. Truck started right up even after being yard art since her maiden voyage and rolled into prime realestate for work. Got the old intake taken off and inspect the top end for any funny business and happy to report no bent pushrods or anything of that sort. the intake was still a bit full of coolant and dumped it down the valley *eyeroll* so oil change will now be required. Spark plugs are showing running very rich so hopefully we can get the air-fuel mix better. But i'm happy to report the new intake is no longer in the kitchen, however the guy who did all the work on this new intake didn't put in the bypass tube, so now looking for how to do that, some initial googling is showing some folks tap the hole and thread brass tube to work, also found an ebay seller with some new old stock of tubes as well but at the state of writing this I think we're going to try the brass. and before you hop to 'just buy an aluminum intake' the Universe has not yet seen fit to drop that option reasonably in my path at this time so I'm workin' with what I got even if it's a big iron pig.

go ahead an laugh at my Southern Californian complaints, we're not used to weather

Old 01-31-2019, 11:41 AM
MIKES 68 F100
Postmaster
MIKES 68 F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.MIKES 68 F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.MIKES 68 F100 has a very good reputation on FTE.
yeah I was complaining about the 40-50 degree weather , then saw Chicago at -40 ?? WTF guess I will be thankful for California

Old 01-31-2019, 11:51 AM
TeachNlive4ever
Posting Guru
TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.
Itís been so long Iíve logged in I almost forgot my credentials

​​​​​​ itís been a really long time I have frequented the site.
I glad yíall never gave up on the ole truck.
It 46* here in Texas. Not that bad in comparison, but Iím not built for anything less than 60*

Old 01-31-2019, 12:00 PM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
Happy you've come back, I am trying not to create a dead end thread so if later on someone is doing the same with no answers and pulls their hair out.

and we're going to get more sky water over the weekend.

will update when we come to a conclusion as to what route we take and some more pictures.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:52 PM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
well had a nice weekend then more wet and coldness and even some snow which is a rarity here.

Intake bypass tube got tapped and an adapter fitting put on so we don't have to re-do hoses. "new" intake sat down, a 1" spacer put on and the carb bolted in; hopefully help with the boiling fuel issue we were having.

seem to be some small oil leaks that i'm not sure is something that is a worry or just the nature of these old engines.

chatting with the husband and next steps for this year is hunting down some highway gears, as we're not pulling anything exceptionally heavy (the old camper which is like 2200 lbs, a bit too hefty for my grocery-getter 4-cyl to pull much, though I do use it to maneuver the camper around the yard) I'm thinking probably the 3.73's as found in another thread here from years back, hopefully slow the engine down some while still letting it do the truck stuff.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:01 AM
Kurttb1
Senior User
Kurttb1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My 69 F-250 Camper Special came New with a "3.73 Dana 60 Conventional Rear Axle" so unless someone changed it I already have one of those, and evidently it is good for hauling or pulling of course, It could also be a good rear end for travel since it is a Camper Special. Even with this rear end I was running 35's on the back just barely clearing the skirts and it had no problem with the 390 power. I have thought about finding a rear end which has an even higher gear ratio ... so, if anyone has any ideas .. I'm all ears.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:09 AM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
nice, from what I can determine from Vin running and what's stamped on it it's very likely 4.10's which isn't exactly happy on the highway. Got the carb all buttoned up so next will be oil change and coolant since we had a bit of an "ooops S--T" moment taking the other one off and coolant mix ran down the valley. but crap happens. The spacer we got also needed a bit of at home honing to make clearance for the secondary flaps to open freely without catching, was no big fabrication issue just making note of it should anyone at a later date be running the same combo as we are and look up this thread

Old 03-15-2019, 02:48 PM
MojaveMuse
Senior User
so got the carb buttoned up and tighten down the idle mix screws... huh no change... should be fuel starving and dying... so we go in and investigate and order a jet and metering kit for it and try to decipher Edelbrockese for where we need to be. Turns out that the previous dude who had this carb had the richest setting in there, which might be all well and good for a race engine or high altitude but we've got neither of those applications at this time so put new set in, played with timing and in general doing the "find where it's happy" adjustments.

I'm happy to report that the 4 barrel intake, while not aluminum and shiny has taller runners than the stock one and overall seems to be breathing better, we had a fear that the Rear Main Seal might be leaking a bit, but could be leftover rain water stuck around that moved when the truck did, but after scouring around here on the forum it seems like its more a case of "if it's not dumping out oil puddles... meh" old sloppy engines. but It feels good to have come so far.

Old 03-16-2019, 03:01 AM
GaryKip
Postmaster
GaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to behold
Good to hear that you're getting it put back into "ready to drive real soon" mode.The carb jetting just goes to show ya that the PO's will do the craziest thing possible, and it will be the last item you check .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mad Max Truck: updates and issues as we go along

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.