2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Mounting for 5th wheel hitch

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 01:37 AM
Jace2016
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mounting for 5th wheel hitch

I ordered my 17 SD with factory Gosseneck/5th wheel prep (It's still a week out if ETA holds true). I'm still considering my options to convert my 5th wheel to a gooseneck connection such as Reese Goosebox or Andersen Ultimate Hitch. My question is this. Will any hitch fit the factory Ford mounts or is that set up only for the Reese 5th wheel hitch? What attaches the hitch to the truck? My old super glide had the pins above the bed to remove the hitch which were a PIA so much so that I left the hitch in the truck at all times. What actually connects the hitch to the truck? How easy to remove the hitch? It looks as though the hitch has ears that go through the bed and connect into the factory mounting plate below the bed? Is this the case & is it just pins that hold it in or? How easy to get the hitch out of the bed of the truck should I go with a traditional 5th wheel hitch? Thanks in advance to everyone that has helped!

Old 10-26-2016, 07:21 AM
The Ace of Spades
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Jace2016
I ordered my 17 SD with factory Gosseneck/5th wheel prep (It's still a week out if ETA holds true). I'm still considering my options to convert my 5th wheel to a gooseneck connection such as Reese Goosebox or Andersen Ultimate Hitch. My question is this. Will any hitch fit the factory Ford mounts or is that set up only for the Reese 5th wheel hitch? What attaches the hitch to the truck? My old super glide had the pins above the bed to remove the hitch which were a PIA so much so that I left the hitch in the truck at all times. What actually connects the hitch to the truck? How easy to remove the hitch? It looks as though the hitch has ears that go through the bed and connect into the factory mounting plate below the bed? Is this the case & is it just pins that hold it in or? How easy to get the hitch out of the bed of the truck should I go with a traditional 5th wheel hitch? Thanks in advance to everyone that has helped!
You have a lot of the same questions I have. I've never installed a 5th wheel hitch or gn ball in one of the Ford prepped trucks. My ordered truck is coming with the prep package and I already paid for the Ford hitches. I guess I will just see how they pop into the bed pockets when I get the truck.
But I do know that you can go aftermarket and get a hitch that will fit the Ford prep package.
Hopefully others will chime in. Like you, I've only ever had the bed rail system, so this is all new to me too.
I'm headed to YouTube to see what I can find.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:34 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm running a B&W Companion 20k hitch. Works great with no pitch or chucking. Bought it new online for quite a bit cheaper than the dealers Reese. Shipped in two boxes and easy to assemble and install.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:44 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,183 Likes on 568 Posts
Curt, B&W, Demco, and Pullrite all make hitches that fit the factory Ford/Reese Elite prep. Installation and removal are 30 seconds. There are 4 pucks in the floor of the truck. On the bottom of any hitch made for the prep are four oblong nubs that go into the pucks in the floor. Attached to them are 4 handles. To install you simply drop the hitch into the pucks and turn the 4 handles which locks the hitch to the pucks. To remove you do the opposite. When the hitch is in there are safety clips that prevent accidental unlocking. It's VERY easy. As to the hitch itself, it will be heavy if you have a traditional 5th hitch like some I mentioned above. 150-170#. The good news is, the standard hitches come apart into two pieces with the removal of a couple pins. The auto slide units like Pullrite and Demco are heavier and do not come apart. The easiest would be an Anderson or the Goosebox. The Anderson is light and the Goosebox only requires you twist and remove the ball from the truck bed. Every setup is a compromise in some way. I'm staying with a traditional 5ver hitch.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:16 PM
Jace2016
Elder User
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
Curt, B&W, Demco, and Pullrite all make hitches that fit the factory Ford/Reese Elite prep. Installation and removal are 30 seconds. There are 4 pucks in the floor of the truck. On the bottom of any hitch made for the prep are four oblong nubs that go into the pucks in the floor. Attached to them are 4 handles. To install you simply drop the hitch into the pucks and turn the 4 handles which locks the hitch to the pucks. To remove you do the opposite. When the hitch is in there are safety clips that prevent accidental unlocking. It's VERY easy. As to the hitch itself, it will be heavy if you have a traditional 5th hitch like some I mentioned above. 150-170#. The good news is, the standard hitches come apart into two pieces with the removal of a couple pins. The auto slide units like Pullrite and Demco are heavier and do not come apart. The easiest would be an Anderson or the Goosebox. The Anderson is light and the Goosebox only requires you twist and remove the ball from the truck bed. Every setup is a compromise in some way. I'm staying with a traditional 5ver hitch.
Thanks for the help Rodney, greatly appreciated! Was curious as to how they latch. That sounds simple enough. Sorry for all the questions but I want to get it right the first time. Coming in from a trip to unhook the 5th wheel would a guy be able to leave the hitch pin latched and just turn the 4 handles you mentioned and raise the landing legs to pull entire hitch up a few inches and pull out leaving the hitch connected to the trailer? Then when going back out simply back under it again, get close and pull the pin, slide the hitch forward a few inches by hand to allow it to unhook from the trailer and set it back in the pucks, latch the handles and back into the pin to hook up? That part may get tricky. What are your thoughts? With the weight of my truck I'm usually between 27.5 to 30k depending whether I tow my jeep behind my 5th wheel or just the side by side. I like the Andersen, Reese Goosebox, and now even open to a traditional hitch with it coming out of the bed as easy as you say. I have a forklift so really shouldn't be bad at all lifting it in & out. With a shortbed my clearance is limited but not too worried about that. The Reese has an airbag that looks like it would help with the ride plus would eliminate the entire hitch part. My tag on my pinbox says LIPP1116, will a Reese Goosebox bolt up to it? Any benefits over the traditional hitch in your mind?

Old 10-26-2016, 10:22 PM
jb-hunter
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll chime in here in case others are looking. My dealer or maybe really my salesman was uninformed on the prep package and what is required. I wanted the platinum they had on the lot, the prep pkg was bonus since I have a 5th wheel.

If you are going to reuse your existing 5th wheel like I did, a Reese 16K, you will need to order one of these adapters from your dealer or in my case eBay.

Reese - Mounting Kit Adapter

I was surprised that the 5th wheel appears (I didn't measure) to be about 3" forward center of axle. in the 6' 8" bed we need all the distance we can get and that 3" would have allowed me a full jackknife with my 2012 Open Range Camper.

Install... wore me out. Put it together via the Reese instructions, does not fit, pull it out and adjust per instructions, fits in holes but too loose or too tight, out at least 8-10 more times to adjust tension on arms, finally a fit.

Mine was also not absolutely level. I had 1/4" play (tipsy) corner to corner, rotated adapter, same corner to corner so have to assume it was the prep kit.

Note, grease the feet good, this helps a lot locking and unlocking. I used some marine grease I had since I figure it is more waterproof.

Also adapter is tall, plan on dropping the head one or two notches.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:33 PM
Jace2016
Elder User
I sold my old super glide with my truck so I have to buy a new hitch but unsure of which one to use. My truck is a shortbed too so I will need as much clearance as possible. I don't want anymore parts than absolutely necessary, that adapter sounds like a pain! I think I would just buy a different hitch and sell the old one first. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 10-26-2016, 11:38 PM
Juniorf250
Senior User
Originally Posted by 69cj
I'm running a B&W Companion 20k hitch. Works great with no pitch or chucking. Bought it new online for quite a bit cheaper than the dealers Reese. Shipped in two boxes and easy to assemble and install.
Lovin my b&w companion! Everything you stated is 100%.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:56 AM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Jace2016
Thanks for the help Rodney, greatly appreciated! Was curious as to how they latch. That sounds simple enough. Sorry for all the questions but I want to get it right the first time. Coming in from a trip to unhook the 5th wheel would a guy be able to leave the hitch pin latched and just turn the 4 handles you mentioned and raise the landing legs to pull entire hitch up a few inches and pull out leaving the hitch connected to the trailer? Then when going back out simply back under it again, get close and pull the pin, slide the hitch forward a few inches by hand to allow it to unhook from the trailer and set it back in the pucks, latch the handles and back into the pin to hook up? That part may get tricky. What are your thoughts? With the weight of my truck I'm usually between 27.5 to 30k depending whether I tow my jeep behind my 5th wheel or just the side by side. I like the Andersen, Reese Goosebox, and now even open to a traditional hitch with it coming out of the bed as easy as you say. I have a forklift so really shouldn't be bad at all lifting it in & out. With a shortbed my clearance is limited but not too worried about that. The Reese has an airbag that looks like it would help with the ride plus would eliminate the entire hitch part. My tag on my pinbox says LIPP1116, will a Reese Goosebox bolt up to it? Any benefits over the traditional hitch in your mind?

Reese doesn't mention that pin box number so you will have to call them and ask

Technical Support
800-632-3290
Monday - Friday 8:00am - 6:00pm

Old 10-27-2016, 06:18 AM
System
Prolocutor
Jace, the Anderson has reported failures and also has reports of the bed getting dented with it's design. For those two reasons, it's out for me. The Goosebox is nice but is only rated to 20k which is under the 21k rating I need. Therefor, I need to stay with a traditional pinbox and 5ver hitch. I have a Reese 5th Airborne pinbox and Reese Elite currently and will likely stay with the two for my 17. The Reese Elite is the same as the OEM Ford hitches as Reese makes them for Ford. So, no adapter needed. The airbag for the 5th Airborne takes out some of the road shock so that's a plus. It also fits under my factory fiberglass pinbox cover just like a standard solid steel pinbox so you can't beat the looks. The B&W is a fan favorite but underrated for my application and too tall for the 2017 trucks and my RV.

The Goosebox is made for 1716 and 1621 Lippert wings only so I don't think it will work for you either.

On yours being a short bed, so is mine and my 17 will be as well. I've never wanted or needed a slider. Yes, you can have cab to RV contact if your not paying attention. You can also have truck to tree contact if your not paying attention. My answer is to pay attention. LOL. People are so quick to say you NEED a slider with a short bed as at some point you will NEED the full 90 degrees of turning. Well, no you won't. No different than the 36 foot travel trailer I had a few years back. Try and get 90 degrees with a TT. Of course it's not possible and yet people get along just fine towing them. You can also get along just fine towing a 5ver without a slider.

On your idea about leaving the hitch hooked to the pinbox and using the 5ver to lift it from your bed, yes, that is absolutely doable. However, backing your truck in under it and getting the feet to line up with the pucks again would be rather difficult.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:23 AM
fidel.medrano
Senior User
Get yourself one...
Companion OEM - 5th Wheel Hitch - Fits Ford Puck System | Puck Mounted Attachment | THE B&W ADVANTAGE

I opted out of the factory puck and just finished installing the B&W turnover ball. *to use with my companion hitch that fits into the ball socket*

Old 10-27-2016, 08:32 AM
jb-hunter
Junior User
On your idea about leaving the hitch hooked to the pinbox and using the 5ver to lift it from your bed, yes, that is absolutely doable. However, backing your truck in under it and getting the feet to line up with the pucks again would be rather difficult.[/QUOTE]

^^ Now there is an idea I never considered for the last pull home and parked/winterized. This would be better than sitting the hitch in the garage in the way or on the ground covered all up.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:36 AM
System
Prolocutor
Guys do it a lot with the VERY heavy auto slide Demco or Pulrite as they don't come apart into two pieces like a standard 5ver hitch. As for off season, I like mine inside, clean, and dry. My Elite 25k looks like the day I bought it in 2012 for this reason...

Old 10-27-2016, 09:52 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am not a 5th wheeler, yet. Maybe someday. Among the lifting tools I maintain (skidsteer with boom, fixed overhead 1/2 ton winch) is an engine hoist which folds up for storage but great for lifting small to medium weights out of the truck. It would be perfect for pulling and setting the fifth wheel and then handy for lots of other objects. It was $149 at Sams a few years back. Well worth every penny. Even if it didn't reach all the way a little manhandling could get the hitch to a reachable point.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:11 AM
Jace2016
Elder User
Both previous hitches I've had were sliders. First was a manual slider-absolutely worthless. Never used the slide, by the time you need it who wants to stop and fool with sliding it. The next was was the superglide by Pullrite and while it automatically slides back as you turn, functions great, has play in it which is irritating, expensive, & a real PIA to remove leaving the rails bolted in the bed when you're done. I'm done with sliders. With a triple axle trailer you really shouldn't be turning that sharp anyway, it's too hard on axles, wheels, & tires. Makes you cringe just turning a corner while watching the wheels pull & flex while sliding the tires! Really takes its toll on tires as well. Constantly replacing tires earlier than expected due to broken chords inside the tire.

I didn't realize the new hitches remove so easily. I'm concerned about the height as well on the new SD pulling my trailer. I like the trailer to be as level as possible and don't want the truck squatted down looking like its overloaded. I ran airbags on last truck to help out, very nice to hit the switch an bring the truck back up to level or even a rake so your headlights aren't blinding to oncoming drivers. Nothing worse than seeing someone coming at you towing a load and their headlights are pointed at the stars like their poor truck is overloaded to the max. No one ever readjusts the headlights so they just go with it blinding everyone all the way. Truly a hazard.

My first trip with the new SD & the trailer will be over the Thanksgiving weekend so I will not have much time for ordering and waiting on a hitch. Wanting to get it done ahead of time. Truck is in OKC now so I should have it by early November. I really like the advantages of the Reese Goosebox and completely do away with the hitch altogether but will be over the rating even with the 20k unit. Leaning on a traditional hitch with the weight I pull. My jeep behind the 5th wheel is 4200 lbs by itself (the reason I added the trailer cam to my SD order-because I can't tell if it's even back there until I get there! By then you are walking back there with your fingers crossed that it's still there! Need to figure out a way to be able to watch that cam while driving at highway speeds, hopefully Forescan will help with this?). What rating are the traditional hitches? I should know this but don't. Would like to get a 25k lb to be on the safe side if possible. Will be trying to look for one that will work with the added height of the new truck.

Would like to say thank you guys again for all the help! Get more help and knowledge off this forum than any other single place available and it's all from guys with EXPERIENCE to base opinions off so Thank You!

Quick Reply: Mounting for 5th wheel hitch