2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Warning: Heat shield by exhaust fell down

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 12:16 AM
jdunk54nl
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Warning: Heat shield by exhaust fell down

Hey all,
I was installing some nerf bars today and while I was under my f250 I noticed the heat shield near the back of the cab had fallen down and was now resting on the exhaust and drive shaft. It appears that ford put push fasteners on all of the front parts of the heat shield but the last few feet didn't have any and the heat shield was just glued on. The last 6" of the shield was melting from the exhaust and there is a nice hole where it was rubbing on the drive shaft. The drive shaft also has some nice markings from the wire in the shield, feels like someone took sandpaper to it. I stuck the shield back up with some 3m mounting tape and 3m spray adhesive but am going to make an appointment with the dealer to have it replaced mostly on principal that it shouldn't have happened and I want to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I just wanted to warn others about this so it doesn't happen to their new trucks. I have an f250 gasser so diesel people might be more at risk. This happened after only 650 miles.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:27 AM
jdunk54nl
Elder User
Pictures

Exhaust melting area

Drive shaft rubbing area

Drive shaft markings

More markings on the drive shaft
This is by the beginning of the gas tank.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:31 AM
TrikeDawg
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would ask about the driveshaft being replaced too since the warning sticker on driveshaft says to scrap if dropped. May not have to be replaced since not dropped but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:32 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It certainly would not hurt to ask but the issue with dropped driveshafts comes more to bent or dented. The aluminum cannot be straightened and a dent would cause it to run out of round plus create a possible weak point which could work harden and fail with age. But it does not hurt to ask. After all, it is a new truck.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:00 AM
Rasty1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the info and sorry you got to deal with this.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:13 AM
jdunk54nl
Elder User
Trike and rasalas: My concern with the drive shaft is that it appears to have some type of protective coating that was rubbed off. I'm sure mechanically it is still fine but what will happen long term without that coating?

Rasty, I am just glad I caught it now before anything worse happened. It was resting on the end of the shield but there was a good 4 ft that would have been eventually laying on the exhaust as the shield melted away.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:24 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
There might be a coating but I would expect more it is just the natural finish from the mill process and you shined it up with the heat shield. Still ask and maybe you shall receive. Then ask for the old one back, for a spare.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:04 AM
Nimrod
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would make sure there is a note on your service order explaining the driveshaft issue and the inspection. If there is a later problem you have something to verify the condition and cause.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:26 AM
Arctic_Wolf
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
99.99% chance that driveshaft just got a little polish to it and that it isn't an issue (and Ford isn't going to replace it). I've been advised by master machinists that bare fingers can detect ruts and surface irregularities that our eyes cannot see, so if it feels ok to the touch then its fine.

Nimrod's suggestion re. documentation is a good idea from an owner's CYA perspective, just in case a tech accidentally makes it worse when they replace the heat shielding.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:34 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
The good news about the aluminum drive shafts is the loss in weight and subsequent less inertia required to overcome during acceleration. The bad new is they are a dealer item only. I do not believe there are any driveshaft machine shops who can produce aluminum replacements. And the dealers typically enjoy their price control of the monopoly. Such as a Honda CRV rear driveshaft was at $1250, according to my friend in the business, dealer item only.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:41 AM
jdunk54nl
Elder User
I am definitely going to have them at least check to make sure it is still in balance and document the abnormal wear. Feeling the drive shaft in those parts it feels like there are grooves now cut into it. Small grooves but nonetheless could throw it slightly off balance that would only get worse with age.

Best case scenario: they replace the driveshaft and heat shield.
Worst case: they check balance and document driveshaft wear and then replace the heat shield.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:28 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
You should be able to feel if the driveshaft is out of balance just be driving the truck. Any new vibrations between 40 and 75 mph? You can see in the picture what looks to be a quarter ounce weight welded onto the shaft. That's not much weight but it's apparently enough to worry about. I too am skeptical that the heat shield rubbing would create an out of balance situation.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:16 PM
jdunk54nl
Elder User
I didn't feel anything abnormal. Really I just want the heat shield replaced and the documentation that it was rubbing on the drive shaft in case of future issues.

I dropped the truck off to the dealership so I will know exactly what they say about it soon enough.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:15 PM
Adam R
More Turbo
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts
Sure seems to be a few threads popping up where folks are dying to make mountains out of molehills when it comes to their new 2017 truck.

No way is that driveshaft, capable of transmitting a ridiculous amount of torque, affected by a flimsy heat shield rubbing against it. Glue it back in place and move on.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:36 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Adam R
Sure seems to be a few threads popping up where folks are dying to make mountains out of molehills when it comes to their new 2017 truck.

No way is that driveshaft, capable of transmitting a ridiculous amount of torque, affected by a flimsy heat shield rubbing against it. Glue it back in place and move on.
While I am inclined to agree with you I also respect these purchases may be among the larger investments made by many.Their concerns are real and worth hearing them out since indeed even the small problems seen huge in the eyes of the new owners.

Quick Reply: Warning: Heat shield by exhaust fell down