6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Running off road diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 10:41 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running off road diesel?

Can I run off road diesel? Is there any pros or con? Besides being illegal.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:53 PM
LCR
More Turbo
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Being illegal is the only problem. Make sure it's ULSD 15ppm. Although it may not matter if it's the higher 500ppm since that was still around when these trucks were made.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:51 PM
wedge542
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
its just colored fuel, be aware any fuel cks might cost you alot, ive had several cks over the yrs but i have a 95 gal tank in the bed and they target those in pickups.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:15 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Used in Farm vehicles everyday!

Old 10-26-2016, 07:33 AM
LCR
More Turbo
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by wedge542
its just colored fuel, be aware any fuel cks might cost you alot, ive had several cks over the yrs but i have a 95 gal tank in the bed and they target those in pickups.
Where do you live? I have a 70gal in my truck and never stopped. I've driven all over the south and even a big trip from Alabama to Washington so I hit alot of midwest states. Although my tank doesn't stick above the bed rails and I'm not sure if other vehicles can see it while driving.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:48 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by LCR
Where do you live? I have a 70gal in my truck and never stopped. I've driven all over the south and even a big trip from Alabama to Washington so I hit alot of midwest states. Although my tank doesn't stick above the bed rails and I'm not sure if other vehicles can see it while driving.
X2? This was a hot topic on one of the RV forums recently.

I personally don't run it for the legality. For what it's worth, after Katrina hit the south and fuel was tougher to come by, Ford put out a bulletin that it was OK to run off-road dyed fuel in the Powerstroke. My father was down there as a mechanic for a rescue support team. I'll ask if he has any documentation to back it up.
Also I have friends that run it in both their 7.3 & 6.0s with no issues. The biggest concern is filtration and water content from the supplier. I haul my own home heating oil (same thing) and notice that stations tend to neglect the filter at those off-road pumps around here. I've seen some even bypass the filter. Beware and stay away from those.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:07 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I would exercise caution on a tank that didn't have a large turn over... it sits and gathers condensation. My old man ran it for years, no issues in any Ford or Chevy he ran... other than its pink.

I've read the guys making bio in there back yard are also faced with the same issue... not paying the road tax and when dipped... fined BIG $$$

Old 10-26-2016, 11:21 AM
wedge542
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LCR
I run commercial with dot/mc numbers so go thru alot of scales,but been pulled over several times by troopers in towns just to pull a cup of fuel, my tank sticks up about 4-5" above rails with the dot required stickers on both ends says DIESEL FUEL,i guess i average 5-6 times a yr fuel cks but again we are target trucks [HOTSHOT TRUCKS].

Old 10-26-2016, 02:16 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
If I wasn't told by the attendant, I would've pumped in the off road fuel. I wasn't sure what would happen if I had pumped it.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:34 PM
modeltee
New User
I had a friend that use to run it all the time in his truck. Lived in Leesburg, Ga. Small town, mostly agricultural. Filled his truck and got about a mile down the road and was pulled over by an unmarked vehicle. The first question he was asked was if he was a farmer, which he wasn't. The next question was have you ever ran off-road fuel in your vehicle to which he replied not that I know of. A sample was pulled from his tank and it was off-road fuel. A tow truck took the truck to the dealer and all the fuel was removed even down to taking off the injector rails. By the time he finished paying the fuel removal charge and the fines he had paid a little over six thousand dollars. The EPA guys that pulled him over were watching the station from a distance with a pair of binoculars. I wouldn't risk it.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:41 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Our tax dollars at work

If you're interested, here's another thread to read, I liked post #213.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...rience-15.html

Old 10-26-2016, 08:13 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by modeltee
I had a friend that use to run it all the time in his truck. Lived in Leesburg, Ga. Small town, mostly agricultural. Filled his truck and got about a mile down the road and was pulled over by an unmarked vehicle. The first question he was asked was if he was a farmer, which he wasn't. The next question was have you ever ran off-road fuel in your vehicle to which he replied not that I know of. A sample was pulled from his tank and it was off-road fuel. A tow truck took the truck to the dealer and all the fuel was removed even down to taking off the injector rails. By the time he finished paying the fuel removal charge and the fines he had paid a little over six thousand dollars. The EPA guys that pulled him over were watching the station from a distance with a pair of binoculars. I wouldn't risk it.
Wowwww!! Holy sh/t!! I can definitely see that happening around here. The off road diesel was the exact same price as the regular diesel. I'll make this easy..I wouldn't go back

Old 10-26-2016, 09:07 PM
Norma stitz
Elder User
I heard the fine for having it in the main tank is $1000/ gallon. So, if they catch you leaving the station, at least on my truck, could be up to 38,000$ fine. Ouch.

However there are stations that sell "off road fuel" but it comes out of the same pump as the on road fuel. So then it's pretty much impossible to get caught. Not that I'm suggesting anyone try to skirt the tax. But it is .24$ gal FYI

Old 10-27-2016, 09:16 AM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by modeltee

Sorry I don't believe your story for a minute. They don't make you remove the fuel, all they do is fine you. Also the EPA guys don't watch with binoculars from a distance either This is coming from somebody that running "off-road" diesel who got caught. It's as simple as a fine based on how much you have in your tank. Just so that everybody is clear, there isn't any difference anymore between "offroad" and "onroad" diesel anymore except the color. The EPA mandated years back that everything was ULSD, and the only thing that isn't that is heating oil. So no running "off-road" diesel in your truck isn't going to hurt it or do anything different that the onroad will. Before the USA made the switch there was a higher sulfur content which made for better lubrication for diesel engines.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:55 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I contemplated throwing some in my tank in the bed that drains into the main tank when I got fuel tonight. I chickened out and spent the extra 30 cents a gallon. The truck doesn't see much use off the farm is why I thought about it. Question though, if I filled up once and used the tank of fuel up on the farm, when I filled up again with on road diesel there would be no trace, correct?

Quick Reply: Running off road diesel?