2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Headlights too bright on dim causing me to get stopped

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 11:15 PM
17F250
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlights too bright on dim causing me to get stopped

Has anyone had problems with their regular non-led headlights on their 2017 being too bright on dim? I have 2500 miles and just got stopped for the 3rd time last night all by different cops/troopers. I had my lights on dim but the cop would not listen and swore that they were on bright. I do have a leveling kit but a 2 inch raise shouldn't have affected the light angle that much. When driving the low beam lights do seem awfully bright and actually seem better than the high beams. That said, I know the high beams are working and they aren't switched or anything because the high beams definitely shine higher up and further out. Just getting tired of knowing that I will get stopped every single time I drive anywhere at night. Have yet to receive a ticket but the next time I go through any of these places at night again Im sure the cops will think I have my high beams on again and the same thing will happen again. Just wondering if it was just my truck or if others had noticed similar issues especially those who have leveled and have the regular non-led lights.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:27 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,591 Likes on 1,296 Posts
Have your lights adjusted, or figure it out and turn them down a bit yourself. If you raised the front of the vehicle 2" it would have a large effect on the lights. You said the lows are better than the high beams. Why is that? The high beams are now illuminating the moon, that's why!

Old 10-22-2016, 11:48 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
I regularly get flashed with just the standard low beams. My stock truck has a 3" rake to it also. I can imagine a leveling kit must be blinding to some.

Old 10-23-2016, 01:05 AM
cyncwby
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So. Cal. street cop for 33 yrs. and yes indeed raising the front of your truck 2" will definately cause your headlights to be out of adjustment. I would regularly stop lifted trucks for just this exact reason. Most of the guys just didn't think about re-adjusting their lights so I wouldn't always write them an equipment violation cite .... but there's always a knucklehead who thinks I was harassing them.

What I would do is park my unit about 50 feet or so in front of their truck and have them sit in the drivers seat so they can get the full effect of their lights in someone's rear view mirror. That's usually all in would take and they would thank me. I would warn them though that if I saw them again the next night and they hadn't done the fix then it would be citation time, thought that was as fair as I could be.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:39 AM
17F250
Freshman User
Thanks everyone…….I had lowered each headlight side 3 full turns already, lowered them 5 more turns each last night. Guess time will tell. At least its super simple to do. It definitely shines at a several inch lower angle now however the lights are still much brighter than what lots of people I think are used to on previous generation trucks especially on low beam. When more and more of these trucks with all 4 quad beams burning get out and hit the road I think they will realize they are just going to be brighter but for right now in rural Oklahoma they just make the example out of me. I just leave 20 minutes early going anywhere at night because I tell everyone "I'm sure I will get stoppped for my lights"

Old 10-23-2016, 08:47 AM
HouseMouse
Elder User
I have had a few Opposing vehicles Flick-Me-Off. No biggie, Dealer warned me that this might happen. Truck is totally stock.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:22 AM
Nimrod
Senior User

This isn't me lol. Was curious if there was a video because I have adjust my headlights years ago on a wall. This guy used a similar process. You would also need to verify what you did on the road to make sure you can see without blinding oncoming traffic.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:42 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Wow. That guy is goofy but pretty sharp lookin'.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:51 AM
Mr. Mcbeevee
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I am sure that part of the problem is how much brighter the new headlights are. I get flashed all the time in my wife's new Flex. I give them a quick flash back just to let them know they ARE on low beam.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:36 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
I'm getting flashed all the time with a stock empty dually with LED headlights. They are in low of course, but these are quite dazzling. Unfortunately I think most folks think I'm one of the typical idiots putting fake xenon bulbs in halogen housings and just blinding the heck out of everyone. The police seem to have no interest in pulling over these true idiots to cite them on their glaring headlights so they won't be stopping me, that's for sure.

To the SoCal cop, that was extremely fair, what you did. Thanks.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:03 PM
Arctic_Wolf
Junior User
Only way to really tell if the LED lights are actually brighter than the halogens is to check them with a calibrated light meter. I'm not so sure that they're actually brighter like everybody seems to think.

What I think people/cops may be reacting to is the color temperature (aka color tint) of the lights. The LEDs are way more on the white end of the spectrum than the standard halogens.

Its just a simple fact that bluish tinted light (which the LEDs have to appear more white) causes more dazzle, glare and vision problems at nighttime than yellowish light. You can put two lights with exactly equal luminosity next to each other, and the one that is more like candlelight in tone is going to be perceived to be less blinding, and therefore less bright than the one with the ice-white tone.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:58 PM
troverman
Hotshot
The whiter color is supposed to reduce eye strain at night, and I feel the LED / HID are far superior during rain and fog. They are more visible to other drivers as well.

A true measurement would be "enlightening."

Old 10-23-2016, 04:13 PM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Originally Posted by RainDesert
I regularly get flashed with just the standard low beams. My stock truck has a 3" rake to it also. I can imagine a leveling kit must be blinding to some.
This is one of the benefits of mounting a nice lightbar. When douchewagons flash you when you're on low beam it's one thing, but when they flick to high beams and stay there, they need a dose of eye melting destruction dished out by a wicked lightbar. I'll be mounting the roughcounty in grill lightbars for moose and for the aforementioned douchewagons.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:27 PM
hsb1993
Senior User
Originally Posted by AK_SuperDuty
This is one of the benefits of mounting a nice lightbar. When douchewagons flash you when you're on low beam it's one thing, but when they flick to high beams and stay there, they need a dose of eye melting destruction dished out by a wicked lightbar. I'll be mounting the roughcounty in grill lightbars for moose and for the aforementioned douchewagons.
And when you melt their retinas with 1,000,000 candlepower (exageration..yes) and they are completely blinded, cross the center line and hit you head on you'll be the first to blame them for the accident. Not defending the douchewagons you mention...I can't stand them either. But responding in kind puts you in the same category...douchewagon.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:55 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by AK_SuperDuty
I used to give the same treatment to other jerks that high beamed me and left them on. Then I did it once to some soccer mom in a silver Explorer...which turned out to have steel rims...and hidden strobes...oops. But he was reasonable didn't realize his brights were on, warned me about using my "off road" lights and causing an accident...and we were on our separate ways. I don't do it anymore...

Quick Reply: Headlights too bright on dim causing me to get stopped