Fiberglass novice

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 12:03 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Fiberglass novice

I.ve done a little body metal work but have little experience with fiberglass (I did build the glove box in my TR-3, But that's it). The bedsides of my Ranger Styleside are fiberglass and I want to cut and form vents in the fenders, fill the stock tail lights and replace with ones I will build, and make or modify the roll pan. Before hitting the truck with the saw, I want to learn as much as I can. I've been searching the net and have been to the local library - any suggestions?
Dono

Old 08-25-2003, 07:48 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fiberglass novice

Sounds like a good idea. Only suggestion I would have would be, are their any vents premade that you like/ would fit what you are looking to do, with the import craze there are a lot of vents to choose from. It would be easier to bond a premade vent than trying to sculpt it. I would recommend welding in a metal filler for the rear lights as opposed to fiberglassing it, always have that possibility of it cracking, however on the stylesides that would be fine. I would opt for the steel rollpan as well and have it welded. Good luck, would like to see your final results when you get it done, sounds interesting

Old 08-25-2003, 10:36 AM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Fiberglass novice

Originally posted by jwtaylor
Sounds like a good idea. Only suggestion I would have would be, are their any vents premade that you like/ would fit what you are looking to do, with the import craze there are a lot of vents to choose from. It would be easier to bond a premade vent than trying to sculpt it. I would recommend welding in a metal filler for the rear lights as opposed to fiberglassing it, always have that possibility of it cracking, however on the stylesides that would be fine. I would opt for the steel rollpan as well and have it welded. Good luck, would like to see your final results when you get it done, sounds interesting
Thanks for the input. The current roll pan is fiberglass because I was connecting it to fiberglass fenders and therefore couldn't weld - will be the same for the tailights (see my gallery). I expect no problem with the vents, but the tailights will be major - I will have to mount the light assembly to access from under the fender. The plan is to install a Lincoln Navigator backup light/license assembly in the tailgate, put 4 custom made 2.5"X3.5" square tips out the pan where the license is now, Fill in the tail lights and replace them with 4 lights made from the same stuff as the tips

Old 08-25-2003, 08:16 PM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fiberglass novice

The flaresides go all the way back, I figured they didn't. Sounds like a plan good luck again