1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 F-250 Platinum Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 08:11 AM
AZLugz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked up a hood protector/bug deflector at Amazon. Went with the AVS Aeroskin II and selected matte black textured so it would match the mirrors, none of the colors match my truck and the chrome would not look right with the aluminum grill....
It was $62.75 but there is a $20MIR so, for $43 I figured it was a great deal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Item came in right away in a huge box which was stupid as the unit was in there with no packing around it, but, their money wasted not mine. In my research for what I wanted to run, I watched a good video on the install so was ready. Good friend Dan (the Ram owner, yea, he is young and will grow up to a Ford some day) came over to help with the install which took all of ten minutes with cleaning and BSing. So far I love it.

Name:  20161122_144536.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  153.2 KB

Name:  20161122_144525.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  99.1 KB

O yes, and as always, my alter-ego is supervising

Name:  20161117_185033.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  120.1 KB

Old 11-23-2016, 11:20 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
I like it, looks sharp.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:35 PM
Powerstrokepat
New User
Originally Posted by AZLugz
Picked up a hood protector/bug deflector at Amazon. Went with the AVS Aeroskin II and selected matte black textured so it would match the mirrors, none of the colors match my truck and the chrome would not look right with the aluminum grill....
It was $62.75 but there is a $20MIR so, for $43 I figured it was a great deal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Item came in right away in a huge box which was stupid as the unit was in there with no packing around it, but, their money wasted not mine. In my research for what I wanted to run, I watched a good video on the install so was ready. Good friend Dan (the Ram owner, yea, he is young and will grow up to a Ford some day) came over to help with the install which took all of ten minutes with cleaning and BSing. So far I love it.

O yes, and as always, my alter-ego is supervising

Not sure where on Amazon you saw it but cheapest I found was $150.00 following the link you provided??

Old 11-29-2016, 04:00 PM
AZLugz
Senior User
Interesting, link goes right to it for me, try a search on Amazon for AVS 436022 Aeroskin II Matte Black Textured Hood Shield

Should come up as

AVS 436022 Aeroskin II Matte Black Textured Hood Shield
by Auto Ventshade
Be the first to review this item
Price: $62.75 & FREE Shipping
Post-purchase rebate: $20.00 Rebate forms
Price after rebate: $42.75

Old 11-30-2016, 09:39 AM
Powerstrokepat
New User
Got it thanks that worked.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:17 AM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice pickup! Also, nice job on the LEDs.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:00 AM
AZLugz
Senior User
Thanks, working on a design to build my own truck bed drawers now

Old 12-01-2016, 07:50 PM
Green Power
Elder User
I love all your mods AZ, I may have to steal your jumper cable idea for my F-150 also a "ruby" at some point. Are the backup LEDs worth the investment? How much time did it take you to install them?

Old 12-01-2016, 08:11 PM
AZLugz
Senior User
So far I am very happy with the backup LEDs, just make sure if you get them that you open them up and seal them good with silicone, there is a lot of space for water to get in. As for install, I am not the type to hurry when playing with the mods so it could have went a lot faster but I have prolly 5 hours in with sealing them, cutting and wiring, I get a little meticulous on stuff too and it adds a lot of time!!

Just checked the jumper cable kit and it is now under $100, everything you need except the weather cover and mount. If the link gives you problems search on:

ATD Tools 7974 25' 600 Amp 4 Gauge Plug-In Booster Cable

Old 12-01-2016, 08:15 PM
Green Power
Elder User
Originally Posted by AZLugz
So far I am very happy with the backup LEDs, just make sure if you get them that you open them up and seal them good with silicone, there is a lot of space for water to get in. As for install, I am not the type to hurry when playing with the mods so it could have went a lot faster but I have prolly 5 hours in with sealing them, cutting and wiring, I get a little meticulous on stuff too and it adds a lot of time!!
Nothing wrong with spending time on mods, I have over 6 hours on my light bar install.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:34 PM
AZLugz
Senior User
Next up is a front trailer hitch, had one on the 09 and loved it so I ordered another for this one. It is a Reese/Drawtite 65049 that I picked up on Amazon for $120. It is actually the same hitch I had on the 09 so I was familiar with the install but it was a lot harder on this truck as the frame ends are a lot harder to access with the hitch in place.

I did find it easiest working alone to use the motorcycle jack to lift it in place. Their instructions show screwing a spring wire to the back bolt and feeding it up thru the hole and pulling the bolt into place, worked fine on the 09 with the extra room but it was impossible to get the wire to come out the hole so I feed some concrete tie wire thru the hole and out the end of the frame to guide the guide wire....pain, but it worked! The other problem was not being able to get a wrench on the inside of the front bolt. I ended up using a heavy blade flat screwdriver to wedge the bolt head and was able to get everything tightened.

Part of the install is taking off the front dam and cutting the opening and I miserably botched the measurement somehow and cut it 3/4" to far drivers side, really pissed me off but I opened it up to fit. I did not like the look of the hole so I took a piece of 28g sheet metal to make a cover. Started with cardboard to make a well fitting pattern.

Then marked it out on the sheet metal and cut it out with a 4"wheel.

After it was cut and trimmed, I used some satin black 3M body wrap vinyl to cover it and make it match the dam. I was going to paint it but figured the paint would chip bad and the vinyl won't, when it does age enough to look bad, I can simply recover it.

. I have not been getting much time on the truck with OT at work and I am in the middle of turning the garage into my ManCave so there has been a lot of time spent on build in the cabinets, shelves and tool storage. I have some plans that I am drawing up to start building a truck bed drawer setup with two 22" wide 6' long drawers about 7" deep, that will be a longer project but I started ordering the hardware I need including a bag of 100 skateboard bearings........Going to be a fun build, hope my design is right.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:34 PM
DeeDubz
More Turbo
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
You sir are a LEGEND! i like your mods keep it up!

Old 01-12-2017, 05:59 PM
AZLugz
Senior User
Thank You, just love to play......

Next is not actually on the truck but attaches to it. I had a 16' Aluminum flatbed trailer to haul the bikes behind the 5th wheel. Now we are selling the 5th wheel and no longer need a light weight trailer so I put it up for sale and sold it this week. I end up hauling the kids cars when they break and I wanted something that I could get Mommas Taurus SHO on. Being a performance car it is low in the front so I need to keep the trailer low and be careful of the breakover angles. I have access to a 22' 12K flatdeck so hauling my truck if ever needed is not an issue. I also end up getting called a lot to help people move so these things fueld the build choices.
We have a local trailer builder that is incredible for customs and tho mine is not really a custom, it is a little out of the norm. So, Gravely Trailers is building my new setup and Jody, the owner is incredible to work with, this will be the second custom he has built for me.
Trailer will be black 83" (inside) x 20' car hauler w/4'dove, and stabilizer jacks on rear corners, 3500lbs axles w/brakes on one, 5' ramps with side storage, stake pockets on sides and front rail, usable hub mounted spare tire, permanent winch mount with my SRC 3K winch , wire mesh basket tongue, LED lights, rub rail with chain ties and black rims. All at a price I was really happy with and am looking forward to having a Gravely again!!! No more crappy build problems! Should have it in a week and a half to two weeks. Stand by for pics.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:19 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Trailer sounds nice, I need me one that can haul a car or a large demo load. I just saw something cool though, have you seen the radio controlled airbag trailers that lay complete flat on the ground? Perfect for loading a low vehicle.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:22 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Link to them, pretty cool.

Quick Reply: 2016 F-250 Platinum Build