Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New thermostat...still spewing at overfill tank

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 08:43 PM
Glenn54
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If it's not the radiator cap, head gasket is what I'm thinking too.

Originally Posted by Lead Head
I'd just get a standard cap, not one of those fancy "release caps". It sounds like you may have headgasket issues if it's not overheating.

Hopefully the cap is just bad.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:01 PM
tuxedobuttonquail
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So is this what i need to buy asap to get the truck running asap? Or, I mean at least know what to do next? Theres no way a bad water pump could be the problem right?

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-75500-C.../dp/B0007ZDRUI

Old 10-20-2016, 09:13 PM
htownoag
Senior User
Is the fan clutch engaging or just free spinning?
Check if the radiator has any cold spots. It might be clogged and not enough coolant is getting cooled. Also not that it really matters but did you install the thermostat with the little hole up? I suspect a leak or bad fan clutch.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:21 PM
tuxedobuttonquail
Junior User
I didn't look at the fan clutch to see if it ever engaged. I didn't think it was getting hot enough for it to even need to engage with the temp gauge not going past halfway but I'm not sure when it is suppose to engage exactly?

I didn't honestly even look for a little hole in the new thermostat. I guess I was just trying to...i dont want to say rush....but rush through the replacement.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:27 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
It's tough to troubleshoot issues like this when radiator caps and thermostats are notoriously bad out of the box these days. Regardless, it's a matter of process of elimination. If it's a head gasket you can get a dye to see if combustion gasses are in the coolant. You can rent a cooling system pressure tester. You can test a thermostat in a pot of water. Not sure about radiator cap testing....perhaps the same cooling system tester has an adapter to test the cap? Never had to do that.

The fan clutch is another suspect. If the truck only overheats while sitting it's a possibility. Then you need to look at the radiator integrity. Blocked cooling fins? Look inside to see if sludge has built up. You already had to drain coolant, what color was it?

Old 10-21-2016, 08:38 AM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Received 317 Likes on 287 Posts
I could also be a weak water pump, I've had that happen before, but I'd pressure test 1st, if it's ok, then I'd check your flow.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:20 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by rla2005
... You can rent a cooling system pressure tester. You can test a thermostat in a pot of water. Not sure about radiator cap testing....perhaps the same cooling system tester has an adapter to test the cap? Never had to do that...
I never used one either but I believe the good ones do.

Also, what is the pressure rating of the cap? 13#lbs?

Old 10-21-2016, 01:26 PM
JackWStafford
New User
Had the same issue on my '92 351. There are two outlets coming out of the radiator neck. The one on the bottom should be capped and the one on top should go to the reservoir. Mine were reversed. Have you done any work besides replacing the thermostat? Cuz you might need to burp the air out of the system also.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:52 PM
tuxedobuttonquail
Junior User
The coolant in the system is all decent looking green. Even when i first bought the truck the coolant looked good.

the pressure rating on the cap is 13 pounds.

I looked for a pressure tester online and bought this one

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this no spill funnel too for bleeding the system

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I even bought this really cool factory service manual set on ebay. I've been wanting these for a while.

1997 Ford F250 HD F350 F-Super Duty Truck Shop Service Repair Manual Book OEM | eBay

Ill keep everyone posted on what happens next

Thanks again for all the help so far.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:37 PM
RJL1
Senior User
Im interested with what you find. Keep us updated please. My 96 is running a bit hot too and I'm just starting to troubleshoot mine.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:19 PM
tuxedobuttonquail
Junior User
Hi guys. I hope someone is still following this thread. I finally am getting some free time from work to look at the '97. Found this wiring from the cooling fan that looks like not stock for lack of better words. I dont know what the pinkish colored thing is or what the silver thing coming off of it is but the wire goes to the trucks ground over by the battery and then to the cab fuse box. Its just sitting in there so maybe it was plugged into one of those fuse locations? Idk. Im not hearing the fan turn on. Thanks for any input.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:23 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You should have mentioned that someone put an electric fan in this thing! The truck is supposed to have a big giant mechanical clutch fan on it driven right off the engine. Can you take a picture of the fan it has?

Old 11-26-2016, 05:29 PM
tuxedobuttonquail
Junior User
Thanks for the reply leadhead. Heres a pic of the fan.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:43 PM
88_F0RD
Senior User
I gave up on my overflow tank,

my problem was, when I filled up the overflow, it leaked out of the tank somehow.

probably need a new overflow tank,

but the antifreeze thats in the radiator has managed to keep the engine block cool enough, and the gauge never exceeds 'normal' on the dash.

and I know it works because one time the motor overheated because the water pump leaked, and the gauge went in the red zone,

I had to replace the gauge on the bottom of the engine block, on the passenger side after that happened,

as well as the water pump.

my thermostat just started leaking around the cover, I need to replace the gasket....

cold weather sucks.

you dont really need a over flow tank,

haha.

as long as the engine isnt overheating, you should be OK!

Old 11-26-2016, 06:54 PM
tuxedobuttonquail
Junior User
i didn't know you could get away with no overflow tank like that.

Should I plug the wire into the fuse box or what do you guys think?

Quick Reply: New thermostat...still spewing at overfill tank