Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Is the longest you have gone without changing your oil when you run synthetic

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 10-19-2016, 08:52 PM
Bohen
Elder User
Bohen has a good reputation on FTE.Bohen has a good reputation on FTE.Bohen has a good reputation on FTE.

A question like I put in a headache since I switch to synthetic I'm looking what is the the average time for changing oil that is full synthetic thank you

Old 10-19-2016, 09:28 PM
Dakster
Post Fiend
Dakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputation
I change syn when the computer tells me to and when you run a vehicle health report you get the oil % remaining, I have changed it early when it was convenient to do so.

Here is my thought - I do my own oil changes. It costs me the roughly same to put syn in and it does to get FoMoCo 10w-30 oil changed at the dealer. So why push it?

To directly answer your question, 7k miles was the longest I have ever gone.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:29 PM
Bohen
Elder User
Bohen has a good reputation on FTE.Bohen has a good reputation on FTE.Bohen has a good reputation on FTE.
I tried to run a vehicle Health Report it got sent somewhere and I was not able to download it

Old 10-19-2016, 09:32 PM
Dakster
Post Fiend
Dakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputation
Mine goes to my sync account online and I can pull it, but you have to pull it quick. It disappears after a certain number of days. I usually get it right after I run it.

It isn't like I run it every week or even month. Maybe every other month.

Old 10-20-2016, 02:52 AM
94ruck
Senior User
94ruck is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
On my 7.3 s and My 6.0, i changed oil every 10k. I got lectured for stating that on the 6.0 forum a long time ago but stuck with that plan. No injector issues and ran great up to 200k on the 6.0 when i traded it in. One of the pre turbo 7.3s ran 400 k with the 10k oil changed interval and i was running dino oil in it!
I change my oil when the computer alerts me to on the 6.7. i dont rack up the miles like i used too so 7 k is about every 6-7 months...

Old 10-20-2016, 04:58 AM
90pioneer
Elder User
90pioneer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Computer tells me to change the oil every 7500 or so miles. So that's when I do it. Run synthetic in the winter, dino in the summer or when I forget to tell the dealer to use synthetic.

Synthetic gives me about 1 mpg better mileage.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:15 AM
PlayersZ28
Posting Guru
PlayersZ28 has a brilliant futurePlayersZ28 has a brilliant futurePlayersZ28 has a brilliant futurePlayersZ28 has a brilliant futurePlayersZ28 has a brilliant futurePlayersZ28 has a brilliant futurePlayersZ28 has a brilliant futurePlayersZ28 has a brilliant futurePlayersZ28 has a brilliant futurePlayersZ28 has a brilliant futurePlayersZ28 has a brilliant future
Just did an oil change on the weekend. Computer told me to do it and I had just over 6000mi on the oil. It came out pretty darn black. I run T6 5-40.

In the summer most of my driving is short trips.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:30 AM
my50F1
New User
my50F1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My friend is a field service engineer running a 2015 6.7 with over 160K miles with no major issues. His lease company has him changing non synthetic oil every 7,500 miles. I am so new at this (mine has less than 1 K and will sit through the winter until I'm retired next spring and can actually use it with 5er), I have not decided what interval or oil type to use. Occasional use like mine is totally different than heavy continuous long trips like he does. But I have to admit that oil changes are cheap compared to the cost of a new engine.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:48 PM
ssunit1
Elder User
ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.
I follow the computers recommendation so every 7k or so it seems. Use full synthetic but it is still within the warranty period and I'm not going to risk having Ford pay if something major happens.
I use Archoil additive for oil and diesel and have since new, 46k so far.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:14 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.
What's the risk of going 10,000 miles or more?

High soot saturation?
High fuel saturation?

I think with the big change in diesels since 2008, it's just not a good idea to stretch things out. The emissions control built into these motors leaves the crankcase oil vulnerable over extended periods of time.

7500 miles seems to be the line where we get enough use from the oil that we're not wasting it

Old 10-20-2016, 08:23 PM
JReinert
Senior User
JReinert is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm pushing 300K, unless you are going to put 500-600K on this motor I don"t think it matters what kind of oil you put in it. Use the correct rating and in cold climates use a semi synthetic for easier starting and not waste your money otherwise. I do change when the computer tells me to, some times over 9,000 miles.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:36 PM
roadrunner01
Senior User
roadrunner01 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.roadrunner01 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I currently have just short of 50,000 mi. on my '15 and have went by the IOLM since new. I run Deere Plus 50II 10w-30 and the IOLM usually takes me to 10,000 mi. I pull a sample every OC and every one has come back stellar, OK for continued use. I don't wish to extend my OC past what the computer recommends, I run a sample to keep an eye on fuel dilution, which I have never had.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:45 PM
doublenot7
Senior User
doublenot7 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.doublenot7 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I run T6 5-40 changed every 6K, worse I ran to 7K. Never gotten oil change message.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:01 AM
Tim Young
Post Fiend
Tim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputationTim Young has a superb reputation
The longest I have run was 8,114 miles. I'm not sure about the oil change message on that change. I try not to run it for long after the oil change message comes on.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:33 PM
doczenith1
Senior User
doczenith1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
At around 30K on the truck I went 9,957 miles on Mobil 1 TD 5W/40. The comment from Blackstone was "The oil was in good shape physically this time, with no fuel and a good TBN of 2.5, but stick with ~10,000 miles next oil to monitor metals."

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is the longest you have gone without changing your oil when you run synthetic

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: