Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Is the longest you have gone without changing your oil when you run synthetic

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the longest you have gone without changing your oil when you run synthetic

Old 05-10-2017, 08:33 AM
shortride
ididmyduty
shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.
Some seem to think that using full synthetic oil mean you can extend the interval between oil changes. If you talk to an actual engine oil professional generally they will tell you that full synthetic oil just does a better job but still needs to be changed at normal intervals.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:24 PM
js139
Senior User
js139 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just going to throw this out there, but Amsoil says 25k or once a year on their oil. They back their oil 100%. If your engine goes out while running their oil within their recommendations and it is proven to be due to bad oil, then they will replace your motor on their dime.

That said, 7k is as far as I get on mine since I only put about 7k a year on my truck and i'll change it at the 1 year interval.

I've used oil in my 7.3 and 6.0 to 20k with no issues. The oil samples came back good. I had no hesitation on them. For me, oil is cheap compared to the price of a new motor, so I plan on changing every year and not pushing it.

Just my $.02

Old 05-10-2017, 07:42 PM
ssunit1
Elder User
ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by js139 View Post
Just going to throw this out there, but Amsoil says 25k or once a year on their oil. They back their oil 100%. If your engine goes out while running their oil within their recommendations and it is proven to be due to bad oil, then they will replace your motor on their dime.

That said, 7k is as far as I get on mine since I only put about 7k a year on my truck and i'll change it at the 1 year interval.

I've used oil in my 7.3 and 6.0 to 20k with no issues. The oil samples came back good. I had no hesitation on them. For me, oil is cheap compared to the price of a new motor, so I plan on changing every year and not pushing it.

Just my $.02

I'm getting ready to do my first DIY oil change using Amsoil. I'm about to turn 60k miles in my daily driver and have about 10k towing the 5th wheel. You're right about the 25K mile claim but you have to use their top of the line filter, which I didn't get, I purchased the one for 10k miles, so I'll do the change when I'm told to by the sensor.
What will be interesting is after I switch to Amsoil whether the sensor will still tell me to change around 7k or so or if it will let it go for an extended period, when I use the right filter in a future change.
I know several people that swear by Amsoil and run extended mileage 10-20k+ between changes and have for a long time. One has a 7.3 with over 280k on it and he's been pulling a 5th wheel almost as big as mine for a number of years all around the country.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:47 PM
willydmax
Senior User
willydmax is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by js139 View Post

Just my $.02
Amsoil's severe service interval is 15,000 miles or 1 Year and most people fall in the severe category. I'm very comfortable with their interval.

I have a customer with a 14 F350 6.7 and he is a Conklin dealer so he always brings me the Conklin Convoy 15w40 when I service his truck. Last time he had 15,100 miles on his oil. I pulled a sample just because I was curious and it came back as good, only thing showing off a little was the viscosity was a bit low and the TBN was getting low. All I'm saying is with a good quality synthetic long intervals are very possible.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:50 PM
willydmax
Senior User
willydmax is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by ssunit1 View Post
I'm getting ready to do my first DIY oil change using Amsoil. I'm about to turn 60k miles in my daily driver and have about 10k towing the 5th wheel. You're right about the 25K mile claim but you have to use their top of the line filter, which I didn't get, I purchased the one for 10k miles, so I'll do the change when I'm told to by the sensor.
What will be interesting is after I switch to Amsoil whether the sensor will still tell me to change around 7k or so or if it will let it go for an extended period, when I use the right filter in a future change.
I know several people that swear by Amsoil and run extended mileage 10-20k+ between changes and have for a long time. One has a 7.3 with over 280k on it and he's been pulling a 5th wheel almost as big as mine for a number of years all around the country.
Sensor can't tell what oil you're putting in. Typically the algorithm the OLM goes by is RPM, oil temp, coolant temp, load etc.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:15 PM
ssunit1
Elder User
ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by willydmax View Post
Sensor can't tell what oil you're putting in. Typically the algorithm the OLM goes by is RPM, oil temp, coolant temp, load etc.

Thanks for that info. Never really heard what the OLM senses to tell me to change the oil. Normal oil life until the OLM kicks on is around 7k. I'm doing a good bit of pulling the 5th wheel this fall so I will see if the load affects what the range. I'll send in a sample when the OLM says change and see what it says.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:44 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Army RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to behold
This will shock many of you but it is what it is ...

in just a weeks time from now I will have owned my (preowned) 2014 F250 for two years. In that time I've only added 3000 miles.

To date I've not done anything beyond 6 (?) fuel ups and (recently) replaced two wiper blades. No radiator tests, no water/fuel drains.

For peace of mind, what should I ask my dealer to do?

Old 05-19-2017, 09:07 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Army RET View Post
This will shock many of you but it is what it is ...

in just a weeks time from now I will have owned my (preowned) 2014 F250 for two years. In that time I've only added 3000 miles.

To date I've not done anything beyond 6 (?) fuel ups and (recently) replaced two wiper blades. No radiator tests, no water/fuel drains.

For peace of mind, what should I ask my dealer to do?

oil change and I would do fuel filters as well.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:16 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Army RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to behold
That's all? I would have expected a long list of items to be checked.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:19 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
I'd expect that to be it with only 3K miles on it.

I suppose you can have the coolant checked as well.