1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Anything you wish you would have done different?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 05:59 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Anything you wish you would have done different?

Anything you wish you would have done differently on your build? Something you change that you feel you shouldn't have? Something you didn't but wish you did?

A lot of us are doing a build without having any time to really drive it first, makes it hard to know exactly what you want to do with it before you could actually use it.

Thought it might be a good topic, pictures always a plus.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:50 PM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Stephen67
A lot of us are doing a build without having any time to really drive it first, makes it hard to know exactly what you want to do with it before you could actually use it.
Now see I'm the direct opposite of this. I drive mine all the time, literally every day.

...and as a result I haven't actually got anything done yet to regret.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:02 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,130 Likes on 2,655 Posts
Shaving the door handles is something I'd never do again..

Old 10-19-2016, 07:06 PM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1-spend the money and buy proper door latches
​​​​2-wouldn't waist my money buying a complete truck especially if most components need changing
​​​​3-don't mount components in the middle of your dash!! They'll be in the way of the wiper Assembly!!

That's about i'm happy with

Old 10-19-2016, 07:09 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mOROTBREATH
Now see I'm the direct opposite of this. I drive mine all the time, literally every day.
lol I'd love to be right there with you but that whole having to stop the thing is still an issue for driving mine regularly.

I will say I'm glad I left the vent windows on my truck. I was going to take them out to make it look cleaner, but with them open and the center vent there is an amazing amount of wind that goes through the cab. Wouldn't have known that if I didn't have a chance to drive it before building it.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:02 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Engine is too radical for the truck, makes it a weekend toy instead of a daily driver. Will run it for one full season for fun but then it comes out for a more friendly 300HP engine. Guess I am getting old!

Old 10-19-2016, 10:30 PM
pappacrunch
Mountain Pass
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Knowing what I know now, if I got to do it again, I would go with a newer breed of transmission instead of the AOD. And since we are making our Christmas list I would go for the 351 instead of the 302. However, she puts a big smile on my face when I am out putting miles on her just the way she is.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:55 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,831 Likes on 1,833 Posts
Originally Posted by Stephen67

Thought it might be a good topic

LOL...naw, not a good topic. With hindsight being 20/20 its not often healthy to look back with a critical eye on the poor old truck.

My old truck is a big learning curve. I can look back on some of the things I've done and can see the mistakes and the lack of ability. I can also see how my fabrication skills have grown over time with some of the things I've tackled. I just try not to dwell on the mistakes (and more importantly...try to resist the urge to point them out to others)

Bobby

Old 10-19-2016, 11:11 PM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 542 Likes on 309 Posts
papacrunch why do you not like the aod ?

Old 10-20-2016, 03:07 AM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I started this obsessive compulsion disorder with basically a pile of junk that was destined for the salvage yard. It has provided me with enjoyment and occupied for many years. Originally my 49 was to be a restoration, but over the years it has crept over to the dark side. Basically, now it's a bit unlike original and I keep on getting new ideas. It's got to be those cookies I was hearing about.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:43 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
One piece glass side windows and a Chrysler steering column are two things I regretted.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:01 AM
Silver54
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great thread, it's definitely giving me perspective on a few different thing I have thought about doing

Old 10-20-2016, 07:20 AM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish that I had better understood the ins and out of auto painting. My biggest mistakes here were not having enough decent lighting and not having had onhand enough paint to apply two full coats. Also, it would have been worth it to buy enough extra paint so that I could have practiced painting techniques before jumping right in on my truck.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:46 AM
The Outlaw
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great thread!

I actually bought my truck as a runner and drove it for two years before I id a complete tear down. Certainly glad I did as it let me realize what I do and do not like.

The exhaust was one thing. I love the sound of an engine roar as much as anyone. But trying to drive the truck for more than an hour with the roar just drained me and made me not want to drive it anymore.

Same as a few others have said. Not gonna do the one piece window or remove the center cowl vent. Love the clean line look but since I'm not putting AC in any time soon the center I need the air movement.

Working on the truck has taught me what is important and not important on my build. My name is not Foose or Kindig and no one is paying a hundred grand to build a custom car. So spending hours and hours on perfecting something that will never been seen is just preventing the end goal. Not to say I'm not doing things nicely or correctly. But more making sure every weld looks like a row of dimes or buying the top of the line part just because. But also take your time. I'm enjoying the work and the learning as much as I will the driving.

Wish I didn't buy a truck with a finished paint job. I want to smooth the firewall but have the cab is already fully painted inside and out as well I've already installed sound deadening material to the entire inside of the cab. Not to say i won't say screw it and do it. But it's a much bigger job.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:37 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Interesting thread. I wouldn't install a Suburban tank under the bed and cut a hole in my frame for the fuel filler tube. I didn't want the filler in my bed (mustang tank) but the suburban tank neck is too close to the rear spring shackle. Plus the Suburban fuel sender is different Ohms than the original fuel gauge.

Quick Reply: Anything you wish you would have done different?