1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

WIND ROAR

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 02:49 PM
ROADHOGE250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WIND ROAR

HOW TO ELIMINATE wind roar in an 2008 E250 ?

outside climbing into the Rockies.

Is the noise from the windshield's outside edge before the door

or is the adjustable mirror shell responsible ?

the wheel well at my feet ?

The market sells leading door edge n drip edge colored plastic overhangs running across top door then down from top door to hood/fender/door area...is this mod a noise reducer or a rain gutter ?

Ima gonna try disconnecting the mirror shell with a solder in plug to see if this helps...replace with a tv camera n screen.

DEAF !

Old 07-05-2016, 04:05 PM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ROADHOGE250
HOW TO ELIMINATE wind roar in an 2008 E250 ?

outside climbing into the Rockies.

Is the noise from the windshield's outside edge before the door

or is the adjustable mirror shell responsible ?

the wheel well at my feet ?

The market sells leading door edge n drip edge colored plastic overhangs running across top door then down from top door to hood/fender/door area...is this mod a noise reducer or a rain gutter ?

Ima gonna try disconnecting the mirror shell with a solder in plug to see if this helps...replace with a tv camera n screen.

DEAF !
I chased wind roar on my 88 E150. I put wide masking tape over different places until I heard a difference. The weather strip at the top edge of the driver's door had come unglued and twisted. I got some 3M weatherstrip adhesive and used more tape to hold the weatherstrip untwisted in place until the adhesive set up.

I put a camera on the passenger's side but left the mirror in place. The camera was always a better view and I mounted the screen where I did not have to look away from where I was headed. The Honda I drove last week would put a camera view up any time that the right turn flasher was on, very handy for passing on the interstate. jim

Old 07-27-2016, 08:08 PM
ROADHOGE250
Senior User
NOISE

Noise is mainly from the wheel wells...Toyo A/T the problem.

The pod on stalk mirror is SUPER noisy, 2X the tires but window glass seems to eliminate that turbulence to below wheel well levels.

Ran a new wire from the batt powering a new radio n cleaning the assembly ( per year ) placed a foil into the dog house. Foil from Home Depot, a air space quilted foil meant for furnace applications.

Pressed the molded DH insulation onto new foil n mounted DH

Next time its red Weldwood fersure. #!@aa000T

Try this ? recommend cutting pressed in foil 2" back from house lip.

Obviously a mite cooler but much quieter from that area. Was or is your mold vibrating ? BBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

sounds like yes it is BBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZ.

forum needs an icon with earplugs

Dynamat bought 9 years ago n stored smells neutral now. I assume heating it will release toxic gases. Placed a strip into the ID DH after rubbing DH with CHOH ....see if it falls off.

Mount window glass in the wheel well ?

Old 10-19-2016, 08:26 AM
ROADHOGE250
Senior User
EAR PLUGS

the soft plugs in a bag at Walmart.

I tried plugs for bicycle noises. Plug ears, place water pipe on bike frame, other end on forehead n rotate pedal cranks.

also useful for motor noises but watch out for the coils.

With the van with wind from mirrors n Toyo A/T, I plugged at a high elevation then removed plugs at a lower elevation at a stop light. WHOA !

Plugging at lower elevations may not have the same effect but an interesting experiment in where noise is coming from