6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

New 2005 Excursion unsure about maint. history

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 10:56 AM
Singlecoil
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 2005 Excursion unsure about maint. history

Hello again, picked up a one owner 2005 Excursion last week and am having some trouble filling in some details about the maintenance history. The owner told me that, (loosely quoting) "I had the EGR or something done and paid extra for the studs or something. It cost about $7000 but I understand that once that is done these engines just go and go."
We talked about getting the records for that but it never happened. She seemed very trustworthy and the rig was priced to move. Her husband owned an excavating company so I was betting that maintenance was important to them, especially because they never intended to sell the vehicle.
So I've been doing a ton of reading and youtube watching on this EGR business and am left with the impression that there are a lot of different ways to remedy this issue and I need to figure out which avenue they went down. It sounds like whatever was done, I should pick up one of those computers to monitor things in the future.
The truck was in a part of the country where you need emissions tests. I live in a rural area so that is not an issue for me, but perhaps would have been for them. The carfax has a lot of history of repairs at a dealer, mainly oil changes, power steering flush, brake fluid flush, etc., but no mention of the EGR. Maybe dealers don't do this sort of work?
I can see that it has the EGR valve.
From what I can tell, there appears to be some fresh looking welds in the area of the EGR cooler, which leads me to believe that it may be some aftermarket kit. Here are some pictures. If anybody can put my mind to ease regarding whether or not I'm good to go here, I would sure appreciate it. The second picture of the head will hopefully shed some light on the stud issue.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:29 AM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Certainly looks like you have the ARP studs.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:35 AM
ultrasks700
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The first picture you posted is the rear of the EGR cooler, so it is indeed there. Yes the welds "look fresh" but no weld repairs are really not accomplished on a EGR cooler they are more or less throw away & replace and/or delete items. Its quite possible it was replaced during the "7,000$ repair", and yes the second picture is indeed a ARP head stud meaning someone was in there at some point

Old 10-19-2016, 11:37 AM
ultrasks700
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also the EGR valve its self is on the front half of the motor, right behind(or next to?) the alternator.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:46 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, since I did a horrid job yesterday.......

The first picture is of an EGR cooler, stock OEM part and appears to have been recently replaced. Possibly due to it being ruptured, not uncommon for these motor, especially for an uninformed owner. When the oil cooler becomes clogged, coolant flow becomes restricted to the EGR cooler causing elevated temperatures and the EGR cooler ruptures. Causing liquid coolant to flow into the intake ports of the cylinder head. Most likely why the head gaskets where replaced.

The second picture looks like the passenger side valve cover and head... which contains a head stud. That 12 pointed nut appears to be an ARP stud..which is good. However, it doesn't mean things are perfect.

Head studs are better than the TTY (torque to yield) bolts supplied by Ford, but head gaskets can still fail and have been reported by others having failed again. Same for the EGR coolers. The best option is an EGR cooler delete to avoid a ruptured cooler.

Read up on temperature differences between oil and coolant, something to watch, an indicator of efficiency in the cooler and to prevent cooler ruptures... with the EGR cooler installed, its an issue still, even if its a "stealth" delete it can rupture.

Obtain a live gauge, like Scan Gauge, Torque Pro or something you like along those lines.

So I'd summarize, you have head studs, new head gaskets, new EGR cooler, hopefully a new oil cooler and YOU NEED a device to read and monitor your new truck.

I joined to have a little fun, yesterdays post, that's all it was.
Signing off.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:53 PM
Singlecoil
5th Wheeling
Thanks, everybody. I really appreciate it.
So rather than rectify the faulty design it appears it was repaired with stock parts? Other than the studs that is.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:20 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Not necessarily - there are EGR coolers out there that use the stock shell but with updated internals (I.e. Bullet Proof Diesel).

Old 10-19-2016, 06:31 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Singlecoil
Thanks, everybody. I really appreciate it.
So rather than rectify the faulty design it appears it was repaired with stock parts? Other than the studs that is.
Welcome back.
If you want the PDF for the other issue let me know and I can post them.

Also we appear to not that far away from each other. I am close to
BHS. If you want to also meet up with the local FTE guys come on
over to the Washington Chapter forum and say HI.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 10-20-2016, 01:01 PM
Singlecoil
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Welcome back.
If you want the PDF for the other issue let me know and I can post them.

Also we appear to not that far away from each other. I am close to
BHS. If you want to also meet up with the local FTE guys come on
over to the Washington Chapter forum and say HI.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder
I didn't know there was a Washington Chapter. I'll definitely do that. PDF's would be fantastic!
As an update, I contacted bullet proof diesel just on the off chance that they had sold the parts for the EGR cooler repair. There were nice enough to check their records based on the vin number and it does not appear that they provided the parts.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:32 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
I'll put the PDFs up tonight after I get back.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder